Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Club - Page 776

post #7751 of 10702
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYU87 View Post

I agree. At this point I would never pick up a quad core, especially a Broadwell-C. It's either Ryzen or Broadwell-E, which will both eat the quad core Broadwell-C alive.

I would have gone with either platforms but with Intel's x299 and Skylake X coming out in the summer I'm going to wait it out. Would love to get a 10C Skylake X chip.

For gaming FPS, the winning equation is only raw single threaded performance, every time.

You only get that on an intel 4-core.

Then for a further performance boost you want 2 threads for each core; so you're exacting every ounce of performance.

The i7 7700k is an engine; packing incredible power into just 4 cores. Those cores are BEASTS and for anything that utilises up to 4 cores it can not be beaten.

For anything utilising more cores; it's still never needing more than the combined processing power of those 4 cores/8 threads in full charge.
Those cores will form a stampede at 100% utilisation -- while high-core-count-machines will float along at 50/60% utilisation never unleashing their true power into the game
.

I desperately wanted to go Ryzen, but I just can't justify it.

The day will come when an i7 7700k is *only just playable* and a Ryzen 1700x narrowly falls below the playable threshold. At matching price; does that example make the higher-core-count machines a bad buy? For me; it does.
Edited by nrpeyton - 4/29/17 at 3:56pm
Nick-PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 7700K ASUS Z270 ROG MAXIMUS IX APEX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL Trident Z 3600 C16 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
EK KIT P360 (Custom Water Loop) Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit ASUS PG278Q 850 Bronze 'be Quiet POWER ZONE' 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow 
  hide details  
Reply
Nick-PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 7700K ASUS Z270 ROG MAXIMUS IX APEX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL Trident Z 3600 C16 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
EK KIT P360 (Custom Water Loop) Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit ASUS PG278Q 850 Bronze 'be Quiet POWER ZONE' 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7752 of 10702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopiklaani View Post

my new 1080ti, 2063 core +900 VRAM passed TS stress test 99.5%

Can do 2100 on the core, but not as rock solid..


http://www.3dmark.com/tsst/45381

Best score so far,
10 991 TS Graphics
http://www.3dmark.com/spy/1659925

7 907 FEU Graphics
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12484916

Good silicon?

Did you shunt mod it? Also, did you buy your old one with a good CC? If you did then they will cover all damages to that card for 90 days, no matter what kind of damage.
post #7753 of 10702
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post



It was the Palit bios.

I can only find two 1080TI Palit BIOS's via google.

One is the BIOS I mentioned & linked in my last post, (the 'GameRock premium' review sample)
and the other:
has the same power limit as a FE.
Edited by nrpeyton - 4/29/17 at 4:09pm
Nick-PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 7700K ASUS Z270 ROG MAXIMUS IX APEX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL Trident Z 3600 C16 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
EK KIT P360 (Custom Water Loop) Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit ASUS PG278Q 850 Bronze 'be Quiet POWER ZONE' 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow 
  hide details  
Reply
Nick-PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 7700K ASUS Z270 ROG MAXIMUS IX APEX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL Trident Z 3600 C16 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
EK KIT P360 (Custom Water Loop) Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit ASUS PG278Q 850 Bronze 'be Quiet POWER ZONE' 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7754 of 10702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopiklaani View Post

my new 1080ti, 2063 core +900 VRAM passed TS stress test 99.5%

Can do 2100 on the core, but not as rock solid..


http://www.3dmark.com/tsst/45381

Best score so far,
10 991 TS Graphics
http://www.3dmark.com/spy/1659925

7 907 FEU Graphics
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12484916

Good silicon?
yeah, man. 2037-2063 solid is the most likely golden chip, but it's golden all the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpeyton View Post

For gaming FPS, the winning equation is only raw single threaded performance, every time.

You only get that on an intel 4-core.

Then for a further performance boost you want 2 threads for each core; so you're exacting every ounce of performance.

The i7 7700k is an engine; packing incredible power into just 4 cores. Those cores are BEASTS and for anything that utilises up to 4 cores it can not be beaten.

For anything utilising more cores; it's still never needing more than the combined processing power of those 4 cores/8 threads in full charge.
Those cores will form a stampede at 100% utilisation -- while high-core-count-machines will float along at 50/60% utilisation never unleashing their true power into the game
.

I desperately wanted to go Ryzen, but I just can't justify it.

The day will come when an i7 7700k is *only just playable* and a Ryzen 1700x narrowly falls below the playable threshold. At matching price; does that example make the higher-core-count machines a bad buy? For me; it does.
cache is also a factor, especially for minimums. why my 1700% more cache than a 7700k lets me beat it. But other than that I agree.
EVA3.1
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Broadwell i7-5775c MSI Z97m gaming Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Adata ssd Asetek 240mm Win10 Samsung 8 series suhdtv  
Mouse
Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
EVA3.1
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Broadwell i7-5775c MSI Z97m gaming Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Adata ssd Asetek 240mm Win10 Samsung 8 series suhdtv  
Mouse
Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7755 of 10702
Guys, have any of the Ti's got a higher power limit? Or are you all doing shunt mod?

thumb.gif
post #7756 of 10702
So here is the power limit for ya. If I could remove it, I know my card could go higher. As you can see, my highest score is at a lower clock, voltage and with room for mem OC, as the clocks and voltages climb, my card, despite being able to sustain the clocks, is being power limited despite the shunt mod. Somebody please please please....find a way around this.. I must have more voltage.

If anybody wants to verify the above, you can test this simply.

Set a mild mem overclock. Say +450 and raise you core clock and voltage just to the point you begin to see pwr throttling in something like Heaven loop. Now without allowing the card to grab higher voltage bins than your control loop, remove the memory OC and watch the pwr limit subside or disappear. For some underclocking the mem may allow for a favorable tradeoff between allowing for more stability at a higher clock staying off the pwr but the amount of mem under clock needed to grab an extra bin is usually not worth it. For those between bins though, it's a worthy thing to test.

2100 @ 1.063v +550 mem
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12446981



2151 @ 1.093v +550 mem
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12477286



2163 @ 1.093v +400 mem

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12490144


2163 @ 1.093v +0 mem

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12489719
post #7757 of 10702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackaveli View Post

same. post kryonaut mod, tho. so im maxing at 62c. my card isnt 100% stable at 2100, tho, in EVERY sense. i can play BF1 at that for hours. It really prefers 2088 at 1.8 and down to 2050 at 1.5v. so, i have curve at 2037 at 1v, 2050 at 1.043v, 2076 at 1.063 and 2088 at 1.08v. flat between 1v and 1.043v, flat between the steps if i skipped a voltage up to 1.08 at 2088 and flat from there. so, depending on the app, im either at 2088, 2076, or 2050. Havent seen it go to 2037 yet and only the witcher 3 knocks me down to 2050 so far , out of 2 dozen game or so tested. i can hold 2088+ in benches. can hold 2101 in benches, actually, but on these settings it'd be 2088.

You must have pretty good airflow in that box of yours mate wink.gif I'm running the fan on the 1080 ti at close to max, and heck of a lot of fans, and it reaches around 60 at only 2012 "stable non-downclocking". Wish I had some better ventilation where my cab is though.

Also, phu! System up and running again, pretty much the way it used to be. Probably lost some saves here and there, but that is how life is. Do you guys use Afterburner 4.3.0? Just made a full image backup now, and am ready to try again.
Edited by Chris Ihao - 4/29/17 at 4:12pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Gigabyte Aorus 1080 ti@2.012ghz 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance@1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1xSamsung SSD 500 mb, 1xCorsair M550 SSD 1 tb, ... Cryorig R1 Universal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 27" Asus pb278q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX750W Corsair Obsidian 550d Logitech gx9 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.5ghz MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Gigabyte Aorus 1080 ti@2.012ghz 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance@1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1xSamsung SSD 500 mb, 1xCorsair M550 SSD 1 tb, ... Cryorig R1 Universal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 27" Asus pb278q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX750W Corsair Obsidian 550d Logitech gx9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7758 of 10702
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post

Did you shunt mod it? Also, did you buy your old one with a good CC? If you did then they will cover all damages to that card for 90 days, no matter what kind of damage.

Yes, I shunt modded. It did about the same on the core, but much better on the vram. I bought both the card and the wb from overclocker.co.uk. They're nice enough to except RMA for both the card and the waterblock. thumb.gif
post #7759 of 10702
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraxKill View Post

So here is the power limit for ya. If I could remove it, I know my card could go higher. As you can see, my highest score is at a lower clock, voltage and with room for mem OC, as the clocks and voltages climb, my card, despite being able to sustain the clocks, is being power limited despite the shunt mod. Somebody please please please....find a way around this.. I must have more voltage.

If anybody wants to verify the above, you can test this simply.

Set a mild mem overclock. Say +450 and raise you core clock and voltage just to the point you begin to see pwr throttling in something like Heaven loop. Now without allowing the card to grab higher voltage bins than your control loop, remove the memory OC and watch the pwr limit subside or disappear. For some underclocking the mem may allow for a favorable tradeoff between allowing for more stability at a higher clock staying off the pwr but the amount of mem under clock needed to grab an extra bin is usually not worth it. For those between bins though, it's a worthy thing to test. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
2100 @ 1.063v +550 mem
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12446981



2151 @ 1.093v +550 mem
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12477286



2163 @ 1.093v +400 mem

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12490144


2163 @ 1.093v +0 mem

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12489719


Try a different LM. ? Some are more conductive than others.

How much extra headroom did the mod net you?
Nick-PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 7700K ASUS Z270 ROG MAXIMUS IX APEX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL Trident Z 3600 C16 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
EK KIT P360 (Custom Water Loop) Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit ASUS PG278Q 850 Bronze 'be Quiet POWER ZONE' 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow 
  hide details  
Reply
Nick-PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 7700K ASUS Z270 ROG MAXIMUS IX APEX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti G.SKILL Trident Z 3600 C16 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
EK KIT P360 (Custom Water Loop) Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit ASUS PG278Q 850 Bronze 'be Quiet POWER ZONE' 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7760 of 10702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackaveli View Post

yeah, man. 2037-2063 solid is the most likely golden chip, but it's golden all the same.
cache is also a factor, especially for minimums. why my 1700% more cache than a 7700k lets me beat it. But other than that I agree.

rolleyes.gif But it seems everyone's card can easily do 2100+ here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Club