I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has gotten their chip 4ghz + stable with IBT max or 90%. I have been testing two chips for over a month and I am frustrated because I have OC experience and went all out on parts (CH6, G.skill 2x8 3600 C16 b-die, Corsair H100i w/noctua fans, Nvidia 1080, case with massive cooling, Corsair RM1000W psu). The two chips and results are below, I can still return either or both as I really wanted 4ghz with fast ram to be on par with i7700k for gaming.
Chip 1) 1700 This chip acted totally as I thought it would, comfortable at 3.8ghz but 3.9 ghz was it's max and required 1.45v LLC 3
Chip 2) 1800X This chip was very strange right out of the box (and both are on 81 bios, also tried 1002 same)
Firstly, the 1800X stock settings, nothing touched at all failed IBT maximum after about 10-15 minutes or 1-3 runs in, and when it fails it instantly turns the computer off with code 8, no errors or program ending, complete crash. So then I started overclocking it, and I only use manual volts and multiplier, no p state for me! The chip will hit a wall at 3.95ghz which requires 1.38125v LLC3 to get IBT to pass, this seems a little high to me, but not that bad, would have preferred LLC 2 (per elmor/stilt), but I can live with LLC 3 as hwinfo always reports volts <= 1.38125. The chip will do 4ghz at 1.45v LLC 3 and once again pass everything EXCEPT IBT maximum or 90%, and then one again it will just turn off the computer 10-15 minutes into it on run 1-3 randomly with code 8. I imagine I could get it to pass at some silly voltage like 1.5v LLC 3, but I am not willing to run that 24/7, 1.45v LLC 3 I think is the safe 24/7 max until proven otherwise, seeing stock chips go to 1.51v does lead me to believe it can probably handle 1.5, but not 24/7.
So my question is did I get a bad 1800X? Even the 1700 when failing IBT doesn't just turn off the computer, it gives a normal error in windows. If I got a bad 1800X I can exchange it for a new one if you guys think there is something wrong with it since it shuts off rather than reports errors normally, and I would assume based on other peoples statistics and silicon lottery numbers that I paid up for an 1800X because they all pretty much hit 4ghz with 1.4 to 1.44v LLC 3. Also I don't see much of a point in paying up for an 1800X to get 3.95ghz if my 1700 does .9 ghz at the same 1.45v LLC 3 at half the price for 50mhz difference. Even if it does burn out early, I can buy another 1700 for the price of 1800X. I am really thinking my 1800X is defective, not just because it can't hit 4ghz stabily, but because no matter what speed I run it at , when it fails it just turns off the computer instantly with code 8 crash, no windows errors or anything normal. So I am leaning towards exchanging the 1800X and am fine with paying up for one that gets 4ghz without these complete shut downs under stress and since I have good cooling, maybe I will get lucky and get a little over 4ghz. But if you guys really think that most 1800Xs act like mine and don't get quite 4ghz, then I really have a tough decision on whether to keep it, exchange it, or just go with the half priced 1700 at 3.9ghz. I know it is not my memory and am running 3200mhz 1.37v cas 14-14-14-34 stabily, maybe it is just bios teething and the chip is fine and will hit 4ghz with reasonable voltages next bios, or maybe I have a bad mobo, but doubt it since the 1700 didn't just shut off the computer when IBT stressed and that also tells me it is not the PSU (which is overkill anyways). So to all the over 4ghz club experts, what would you recomend for me to do to get 4ghz or over IBT max stable with reasonable voltages? Exhange it or ????