Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread - Page 1212

post #12111 of 17662
Quote:
Originally Posted by mct1980 View Post

Do you even remember Sandy Bridge and X99 launch? Was flawless wasn't it? Why did you even buy an AM4 platform? With your experience you should have done your research. Yes the platform was rushed but they are working to fix it. For now it works damn fine unless you absolutely have to get that RAM of yours to 3200 to get minimal performance gains over 2933 that will probably boot just fine.
CPU OC is a part of the silicone lottery but that's just the way it is.

I understand that some people just have to get it all at the start but come on, give the guys some slack. It works fine, just lower your settings and wait for the may update at least. Or get back to your trusty old Intel build that hasn't been improved much for yeeeeeeeeeears.


I still don't understand why you are defending AMD. Because X99 wasn't a great release, we are supposed to let AMD get away with this release? I don't like this "slippery slope" argument..."well the X99 sucked so it's OK for Ryzen to suck too."

Not in my world. You even said it yourself, the platform was rushed. What is there to defend? They rushed a product, and it has bugs. All manufactures are having cold-boot issues. My ****ty FX with a slower hard drive boots 10-15 seconds faster than Ryzen with an M.2 drive. Memory is like rolling the dice.

This isn't aimed at ASUS...they are trying. This is just me saying AMD prematurely released this product and I don't think it is acceptable. How you guys can contort this to make it "our fault for early adopting" blows my mind...because this shouldn't be on us. This is on AMD.
post #12112 of 17662
Checking in peeps smile.gif , went back to 0081, smooth flash, set base profile > base with manual voltages > base 3200C14 > 3.8 3200C14 = biggrin.gif .





Shame 1106 had issues frown.gif , but hey ho can't win'em all wink.gif .

Yeah had my moans, etc. But my bug list is very small (in order of my priorities) :-

a) PState VID changes in UEFI to work.

b) SIO CPU Sensor mode settable in UEFI instead of using app Elmor made.

c) Yeah wouldn't mind cold boot at 3200MHz fixed, but as I'd still end up using "Sleep" mode as it's quick "go to" desktop not a biggie for me.

So I'd say I'm enjoying my "Road to Ryzen" smile.gif , night night and chat tomorrow thumb.gif .
XPS - R7 1700
(14 items)
 
XPS - i5 4690K
(12 items)
 
XPS - Q6600
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire Fury X@1145/545 G.Skill Trident Z 2x 8GB 3200MHz C14 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung Evo 840 ThermalRight Archon IB-E X2 + 2x TY143 ThermalRight TY-143 2x front case intake Arctic Cooling F12 + 2x F9 as rear case exhaust 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64 Asus MG279Q Cherry MX-Board 3.0 Cooler Master V850 
CaseMouse
SilverStone TJ06 Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690K@4.9GHz 1.255V Asus Maximus VII Ranger Sapphire Fury X@1145/545 HyperX Savage 2x8GB 2400MHz C11 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 840 TR Archon SB-E X2 Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 x64 Asus MG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry MX-Board 3.0 Cooler Master V850 SilverStone TJ06 Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl Sapphire Toxic HD5850 Corsair Dominator 4GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Crucial MX 100 256GB TR TRUE Rev.A Win 7 Pro x64 Cooler Master V650 
  hide details  
Reply
XPS - R7 1700
(14 items)
 
XPS - i5 4690K
(12 items)
 
XPS - Q6600
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire Fury X@1145/545 G.Skill Trident Z 2x 8GB 3200MHz C14 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung Evo 840 ThermalRight Archon IB-E X2 + 2x TY143 ThermalRight TY-143 2x front case intake Arctic Cooling F12 + 2x F9 as rear case exhaust 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64 Asus MG279Q Cherry MX-Board 3.0 Cooler Master V850 
CaseMouse
SilverStone TJ06 Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690K@4.9GHz 1.255V Asus Maximus VII Ranger Sapphire Fury X@1145/545 HyperX Savage 2x8GB 2400MHz C11 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 840 TR Archon SB-E X2 Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 x64 Asus MG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry MX-Board 3.0 Cooler Master V850 SilverStone TJ06 Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl Sapphire Toxic HD5850 Corsair Dominator 4GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Crucial MX 100 256GB TR TRUE Rev.A Win 7 Pro x64 Cooler Master V650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12113 of 17662
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post

I still don't understand why you are defending AMD. Because X99 wasn't a great release, we are supposed to let AMD get away with this release? I don't like this "slippery slope" argument..."well the X99 sucked so it's OK for Ryzen to suck too."

Not in my world. You even said it yourself, the platform was rushed. What is there to defend? They rushed a product, and it has bugs. All manufactures are having cold-boot issues. My ****ty FX with a slower hard drive boots 10-15 seconds faster than Ryzen with an M.2 drive. Memory is like rolling the dice.

This isn't aimed at ASUS...they are trying. This is just me saying AMD prematurely released this product and I don't think it is acceptable. How you guys can contort this to make it "our fault for early adopting" blows my mind...because this shouldn't be on us. This is on AMD.

Used my 1600 at 3.8ghz at 2933mhz ram speed, no issues with boot or shut down.
sure, I set timings manually for ram but thats the only tweak I had to do.

rushed?
to some extent absolutly.
bios are what they are and it seems people been so used to intel that when you release a major new tech competiting agaisnt and beating intel, it comes at some drawbacks.

However, todays world we are seldom seeing any company reelase a product flawlessly.
apple antenna issue for example, what did happen? or the recent samsung issue with battery.
both big companies but now and then you have to release the product and fix things along the way as there is no chance to find everything that can go wrong.
part of the tech speed to bring new products out to markets.
Thyslexia
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600 ga B350 gaming 3 Nitro sapphire 390 16gb corsair lpx 2933mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung 850 pro  sony water w10 64bit Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer xg270hu 1440p 144hz! steelseries 6gv2 Corsair 750w Cm 840 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
corsair deathadder (G400 cable went bad) sennheiser HD 600 asus essence stx 
  hide details  
Reply
Thyslexia
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600 ga B350 gaming 3 Nitro sapphire 390 16gb corsair lpx 2933mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung 850 pro  sony water w10 64bit Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer xg270hu 1440p 144hz! steelseries 6gv2 Corsair 750w Cm 840 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
corsair deathadder (G400 cable went bad) sennheiser HD 600 asus essence stx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12114 of 17662
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlfman View Post

both. the first is the motherboard vcore sensor, the other, which is SVI2, is the CPU's own vcore sensor. which one is more accurate? well i use the motherboard vcore as what the motherboard is sending, and the cpu vcore as what the cpu is reporting what its receiving / using.

Thank you for your explanation...what i don't understand is, with AMD Power Plan or with High Performance Plan for example, how it's possibile that motherboard is sending Vcore of 0.5 or little higher and SVI2 TFN receive 1.3 or 1.4V...how it's possible that cpu is receveing a higher voltage respect of what motherboard is sending? what i think that Vcore motherboard must be higher than SVI2....how can the cpu use 1.4v when motherboard is sending 0.414 for example?
post #12115 of 17662

I'd prefer to have it now rather than wait another 6 months or more which is the outcome your argument dictates.

And its good fun. And it will be better faster with all of us working on it.

I think we all knew it was a going to be a bit of a crap launch but the important thing here is that the performance of this architecture is way better than anyone expected a year ago.

Had the performance been less good than it is, I would have bought it anyway because I understand that it is vital that Intel's market dominance is curtailed, for obvious reasons.

I also don't think it is a valid comparison to pit a mature architecture against a newly launched one. There are so many variables any direct comparison is pretty meaningless.

I see your point and I have vented about it a bit earlier in the thread myself and many people pop up and start it all up again every now and then.

The problem really is that different people have different expectations. My expectations were pretty low so I am more than happy and I would have put up with a tonne more **** just to get Intel (and Nvidia for that matter) under control. If your expectations are high and you want the same experience as a mature Intel or Apple (God forbid) platform then your just setting yourself up for disappointment. I don't think it is a realistic expectation, which is why I think this leaves us exactly where we find ourselves.

 

I think most of the problems will be sorted in Zen 2, I think that is a realistic expectation. And I expect this platform to be as good as it can be in about a year.

In 10 years it'll be awesome, but also obsolete... lol.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post


I still don't understand why you are defending AMD. Because X99 wasn't a great release, we are supposed to let AMD get away with this release? I don't like this "slippery slope" argument..."well the X99 sucked so it's OK for Ryzen to suck too."

Not in my world. You even said it yourself, the platform was rushed. What is there to defend? They rushed a product, and it has bugs. All manufactures are having cold-boot issues. My ****ty FX with a slower hard drive boots 10-15 seconds faster than Ryzen with an M.2 drive. Memory is like rolling the dice.

This isn't aimed at ASUS...they are trying. This is just me saying AMD prematurely released this product and I don't think it is acceptable. How you guys can contort this to make it "our fault for early adopting" blows my mind...because this shouldn't be on us. This is on AMD.

Edited by dorbot - 4/27/17 at 4:05pm
post #12116 of 17662
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

See above.

I know if you use control panel to "change" AMD Software you can pick remove Ryzen Power Plan, it may then give you back min/max CPU states in Power Plan in other plans. I have copy of Ryzen Power Plan on it's own, I will attach to a OP in my thread in sig. There is also a method in OP on manually installing the Ryzen Power Plan which I tested as well and min/max CPU state was there for me.

Personally I didn't like the Ryzen Power Plan from my test cases (see thread), so I went Balanced with 50% Core Parking.

Thanks for the suggestion and for the link to your thread. I'll check in in a couple of hours to see if this method repopulates the min/max states in the other power plans. Otherwise, we'll set up a basic Pstate overclock to test whether or not it triggers Windows to display the settings .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltPC View Post

It's easy to miss something. You could try posting your EUFI screenshots, these guys are good at spotting things.

It sure is. I'll post screenshots tonight when I'm home from work.
post #12117 of 17662
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmor View Post

That's not true, usually you can go backwards unless we've fixes problems which we'd rather not have users go back to (most extreme case the recent EC bricking).

Hello

Which across platforms is not a rare occurrence. Regardless, as many have already suggested, when flashing to a previous BIOS version the best option is USB Flashback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalito View Post

That's terrific news! What settings did you use to accomplish it?

Hello

The pertinent settings are in the screenshot. ProODT is set to 68.6 ohms.
Edited by Praz - 4/27/17 at 3:42pm
post #12118 of 17662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post

CAS14 1T 3450Mhz
Would you share your various voltage settings?
post #12119 of 17662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur Born View Post


Would you share your various voltage settings?

Yeah, I'd like to see them too. :)

 

 

Just had an idea. You know how Aura etc is killing trident RGB RAM modules?

I thought we should start combing ebay and such for suspiciously cheap RGB RAM kits because we all know how to fix them now.

 

What could possibly go wrong?

Famous last words..........

post #12120 of 17662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkey View Post

Thanks for the suggestion and for the link to your thread. I'll check in in a couple of hours to see if this method repopulates the min/max states in the other power plans. Otherwise, we'll set up a basic Pstate overclock to test whether or not it triggers Windows to display the settings .

NP smile.gif , we must in differing timezones wink.gif . I forgot to add Ryzen Power Plan zip to my OP but here it is.


Ryzen_Balanced_Power_Plan.zip 47k .zip file
XPS - R7 1700
(14 items)
 
XPS - i5 4690K
(12 items)
 
XPS - Q6600
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire Fury X@1145/545 G.Skill Trident Z 2x 8GB 3200MHz C14 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung Evo 840 ThermalRight Archon IB-E X2 + 2x TY143 ThermalRight TY-143 2x front case intake Arctic Cooling F12 + 2x F9 as rear case exhaust 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64 Asus MG279Q Cherry MX-Board 3.0 Cooler Master V850 
CaseMouse
SilverStone TJ06 Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690K@4.9GHz 1.255V Asus Maximus VII Ranger Sapphire Fury X@1145/545 HyperX Savage 2x8GB 2400MHz C11 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 840 TR Archon SB-E X2 Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 x64 Asus MG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry MX-Board 3.0 Cooler Master V850 SilverStone TJ06 Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl Sapphire Toxic HD5850 Corsair Dominator 4GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Crucial MX 100 256GB TR TRUE Rev.A Win 7 Pro x64 Cooler Master V650 
  hide details  
Reply
XPS - R7 1700
(14 items)
 
XPS - i5 4690K
(12 items)
 
XPS - Q6600
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire Fury X@1145/545 G.Skill Trident Z 2x 8GB 3200MHz C14 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung Evo 840 ThermalRight Archon IB-E X2 + 2x TY143 ThermalRight TY-143 2x front case intake Arctic Cooling F12 + 2x F9 as rear case exhaust 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64 Asus MG279Q Cherry MX-Board 3.0 Cooler Master V850 
CaseMouse
SilverStone TJ06 Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690K@4.9GHz 1.255V Asus Maximus VII Ranger Sapphire Fury X@1145/545 HyperX Savage 2x8GB 2400MHz C11 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 840 TR Archon SB-E X2 Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 x64 Asus MG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cherry MX-Board 3.0 Cooler Master V850 SilverStone TJ06 Logitech G700S 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 Asus P5K Premium Black Pearl Sapphire Toxic HD5850 Corsair Dominator 4GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Crucial MX 100 256GB TR TRUE Rev.A Win 7 Pro x64 Cooler Master V650 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread