Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Phanteks Enthoo elite Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Phanteks Enthoo elite Discussion - Page 4

post #31 of 89
Hi,

I currently have this cooling setup:

  • ASUS Maximus IX Formula (built in water block)
  • Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4Ghz at 1.275 (EKWB Supremacy EVO)
  • 2 x GTX 980 Ti @1450 Mhz (EKWB Titan Water blocks)
  • 2 x HWLabs Nemesis 480 GTX (Top & Bottom)
  • Using Fractal Design Venturi HP12 fans on rads (600 idle, 800-900 on load)


I am going to be upgrading to:

  1. 2 x GTX1080 Ti Strix with EKWB blocks
  2. Hard tubing
  3. Possibly doing separate (dual) GPU & CPU loops


Currently running benchmarks I see these temps running fans at 800rpm:

  • CPU cores in 45-60s
  • GPU1: 57C
  • GPU2: 51C



My ambient temperature usually is around 25C in summer. My condo is pretty hot, even with AC on.

Here is few questions I have:

Does those temps seem aligned with expected with 2 x 480 rads?

Before I commit to hard tubing the build, I want to know if i should add another 360 Rad in front to keep temps down.

Will going dual loop improve temps? I am not sure what's the best way to allocate rad space. 480 just for CPU would be overkill I think.

post #32 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentnvr6 View Post

Really nice build, congratulations! I'm looking at buying the same case, but was wondering if it would be possible to mount a 60mm rad (like you have in front and bottom) to top position in push pull configuration, while using an atx mobo?

If you are looking for push pull on top, keep in mind with 60mm I ran into issue with 1 fan blocking motherboard water block at the bottom of rad. Just like 2-3mm
post #33 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by InhexSTER View Post

If you are looking for push pull on top, keep in mind with 60mm I ran into issue with 1 fan blocking motherboard water block at the bottom of rad. Just like 2-3mm

You definitely need more Rad space if you want to keep your fans at low rpm. I suggest add another 480 at the midplate .
post #34 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyui View Post

You definitely need more Rad space if you want to keep your fans at low rpm. I suggest add another 480 at the midplate .

I have 360 and 240 EKWB PE lying around from my previous build, but they are slightly higher fin density. I was thinking doing 480 on top 360 in front and 480 at the bottom.
I worried that more hot air will be dumped in the case. But essentially I was thinking doing 360 + 480 bottom/front for 1080 Ti's and top rad for CPU. I am not sure if this will be better then doing a single loop with 3 rads
post #35 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by InhexSTER View Post

I have 360 and 240 EKWB PE lying around from my previous build, but they are slightly higher fin density. I was thinking doing 480 on top 360 in front and 480 at the bottom.
I worried that more hot air will be dumped in the case. But essentially I was thinking doing 360 + 480 bottom/front for 1080 Ti's and top rad for CPU. I am not sure if this will be better then doing a single loop with 3 rads

The top does not have the room to do a push/pull. What i did was put 3 120mm fans blowing into the case on top and one 120mm on the back blowing in to supply fresh air to the 2 rads (one 480 and 1 360) that are taking air from in the case and exhausting it out. I do not like the idea of dumping hot air into the case at all.

With the mesh in the middle of the glass door and the entire back being honeycomb mesh I do not think there is an issue with supplying sufficient air. What I am worried about is dust and dog hair, lol.
post #36 of 89
Right now I have bottom rad/fans as intake and it does heat up mid plate quite a bit, I know pushing air out at the bottom is probably not efficient since it would go against physics of hot air rising.
Usually its not recommended to push hot air down. I want keep my entire mid-plate so the chambers are separated as much as possible, so hot air comes out of mesh in glass panel and and the back.

Top radiator pushes air out at the top, you can do 60mm push/pull but only if you are not watercooling VRMs. (For me 1 fan conflicts with a top fitting on the Maximus IX formula).
Right now I have 3 fans in push on top rad and 1 in pull because of this reason. I am debating if cooling motherboard is worth it. Also doing all pull was significantly louder, so I switched to push, but didn't want to change the loop for now

Also It's hard to decide if I should go with 16mm OD or 12MM OD for PETG, I have right now 16mm soft tubing. Case is big, I wonder is 12 will be too small aesthetically.
but potentially with 12mm OD I woudn't run into the issue described above, it seems fan only overlaps few mm with the 16mm fitting
Edited by InhexSTER - 4/11/17 at 10:48am
post #37 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by InhexSTER View Post

Right now I have bottom rad/fans as intake and it does heat up mid plate quite a bit, I know pushing air out at the bottom is probably not efficient since it would go against physics of hot air rising.
Usually its not recommended to push hot air down. I want keep my entire mid-plate so the chambers are separated as much as possible, so hot air comes out of mesh in glass panel and and the back.

Top radiator pushes air out at the top, you can do 60mm push/pull but only if you are not watercooling VRMs. (For me 1 fan conflicts with a top fitting on the Maximus IX formula).
Right now I have 3 fans in push on top rad and 1 in pull because of this reason. I am debating if cooling motherboard is worth it. Also doing all pull was significantly louder, so I switched to push, but didn't want to change the loop for now

Also It's hard to decide if I should go with 16mm OD or 12MM OD for PETG, I have right now 16mm soft tubing. Case is big, I wonder is 12 will be too small aesthetically.
but potentially with 12mm OD I woudn't run into the issue described above, it seems fan only overlaps few mm with the 16mm fitting


Did help a buddy of mine to build his computer with almost the same parts as you. 480 black ice nemesis top and bottom with a 360 back ice nemesis in the front. The bottom 480 cool`s the 7700k alone. The top 480 and front 360 is for the 2 x 1080 ti.

Temps are just fine in his case but OC the 2 gpu`s sure do put some heat into the water since he did not want the fans to run any higher than 800-900 ish...

So imo for the parts you are talking about I would deff run 3 rads. If I could pick the parts I would do 360 top and bottom with a 560 front with the bottom 360 cooling the cpu alone = ample of cooling for both the cpu and 2 gpu`s

I did a test run of only the cpu with 12mm OD and 13mm OD since I had some PETG tubes of that laying around and I swapped to 16mm OD pretty fast since both the 12 and 13mm did look kinda... well... weak and thin. Big case = big stuff into it.

If in your loop a 16mm OD would interfere ( if that is the correct word since english is not my main language biggrin.gif ) with your Mosfet cooling try and run a 12 or 13mm line close to it and "hide it" with either a 16mm OD hardline or some crome brass pipe 16m OD infront of it pretty close. That to could work.

And since you where wondering if you should or should not water cool your mosfet... All depends on your overall caseflow and amount of air / air temp going over it.
post #38 of 89
Thanks for really detailed reply, gave me some ideas.

Just got my 1080 Ti's and huge disappointment both have coil whine.
Sounds similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skkd5-vA30g
I had some coil whine with 980 Ti's as well but those were reference boards, I hoped custom PCB will be better
Can hear it over my fans.

I know I can try to RMA them, but it's tricky living in Canada and probably will cost quiet a bit, with no guarantee I get better one mad.gif
I could return it to the store but there is 10% restocking fee. so for 2 it would be like 220$ CAD.
Will try to test this cards in other PC. with different PSU. But so far looks like bad luck.

I had Evga 980 TI SC and Asus 980 Ti before, both had coil whine. Was hoping to get rid of it with upgrade
Edited by InhexSTER - 4/12/17 at 9:17pm
post #39 of 89
Sadly that in many cases seems to be a "problem" with first batches of cards and is the downside to buy cards just when they get released... I normaly wait a few months before buying a new card from when it get released but on the other side.
But on the other side. This sounds like a small problem since you will only use the air cooler until you get water blocks and then that sound is all gone biggrin.gif
post #40 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooked CPU View Post

Sadly that in many cases seems to be a "problem" with first batches of cards and is the downside to buy cards just when they get released... I normaly wait a few months before buying a new card from when it get released but on the other side.
But on the other side. This sounds like a small problem since you will only use the air cooler until you get water blocks and then that sound is all gone biggrin.gif

Normally the coil whine sound is getting louder when the card is under water because there is no more fans noise. =)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Phanteks Enthoo elite Discussion