Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Windows 7 and Ryzen Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 7 and Ryzen Questions - Page 12

post #111 of 143
This is my latest overclock that hasn't been tried and true tested with Prime95 because I don't have time right now; but it is what it is, nonetheless, and I'm satisfied right now. rolleyes.gifoneeyedsmiley02.png

http://valid.x86.fr/51n8vj

Coincidentally, has anyone had any success overclocking Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 RAM to 2933MHz or above? Just curious.
Edited by ThaWatcher - 4/15/17 at 10:04am
post #112 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWatcher View Post

This is my latest overclock that hasn't been tried and true tested with Prime95 because I don't have time right now; but it is what it is, nonetheless, and I'm satisfied right now. rolleyes.gifoneeyedsmiley02.png

http://valid.x86.fr/51n8vj

Coincidentally, has anyone had any success overclocking Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 RAM to 2933MHz or above? Just curious.

that looks great! GJ smile.gif

I would not use prime95 on ryzen, I have heard bad things. I forgot the other option sorry.
post #113 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWatcher View Post

This is my latest overclock that hasn't been tried and true tested with Prime95 because I don't have time right now; but it is what it is, nonetheless, and I'm satisfied right now. rolleyes.gifoneeyedsmiley02.png

http://valid.x86.fr/51n8vj

Coincidentally, has anyone had any success overclocking Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 RAM to 2933MHz or above? Just curious.

that looks great! GJ smile.gif

I would not use prime95 on ryzen, I have heard bad things. I forgot the other option sorry.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/608lis/prime95_for_ryzen_released_link_fixed/
4690K System
(12 items)
 
HTPC
(9 items)
 
HP dv6 laptop
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4690K ASRock Z97 Extreme4 XFX Radeon 7950 32 GB DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO SSD Samsung DVD/CD-writer Corsair Hydro H60 Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS PA248Q Dell U2412M XFX 850W Black Edition XXX Fractal Design Arc Midi 2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual Core E6700 MSI G41M-P33 Combo ATI HD4350 Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 WD Caviar Blue Windows 7 64-bit Sony 32" TV set 
Case
Apex TX-381 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i5 430M GT230M (1 Gb dedicated) 8 GB DDR3-1066 640 GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
4690K System
(12 items)
 
HTPC
(9 items)
 
HP dv6 laptop
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4690K ASRock Z97 Extreme4 XFX Radeon 7950 32 GB DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO SSD Samsung DVD/CD-writer Corsair Hydro H60 Windows 7 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS PA248Q Dell U2412M XFX 850W Black Edition XXX Fractal Design Arc Midi 2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual Core E6700 MSI G41M-P33 Combo ATI HD4350 Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1333 WD Caviar Blue Windows 7 64-bit Sony 32" TV set 
Case
Apex TX-381 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i5 430M GT230M (1 Gb dedicated) 8 GB DDR3-1066 640 GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) 15.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #114 of 143
Just a quick update - Win7 continues to run flawlessly, with a minor OC to 3.6GHz, not a single crash yet and I've pushed it hard, with all cores pegged in video encodes and parity checks on large files.

I have a huge 32GB ram drive created by IMDisk, which is fun to install virtual machines onto. It's also my Adobe scratch disk.

It sleeps and wakes properly, though I typically just let it idle since power consumption is so darned low compared to my old FX.

I never could get the darn board to accept a Renesas add-in USB3 card. However, that was a carryover from my old Gigabyte UD3 which had crap USB. The new Ryzen USB works flawlessly so I don't need it in the end.

The only thing I don't like about this rig, which is unrelated to Win7, is the new SSD I got to replace the old OCZ Vertex 460 120GB drive - I wanted more space or I would've kept it from the previous rig. It's a Mushkin Reaktor and I don't like its poorly timed garbage collection. Or please recommend a good MLC 240GB drive to try. I won't run TLC.
RYZEN
(14 items)
 
OFFICE PC
(12 items)
 
20TB_HOMENAS
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming XFX 390x Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A bunch of swappable SSDs LG BD-ROM Thermaltake CL-P039-AL12BL-A Contac Silent Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Generic Korean 32" 4K Generic mechanical rainbow LED lit SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt AZZA Helios 910 CSAZ-910 
MouseAudio
Logitech G500 T1 24BIT Tube USB DAC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 255 ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 Radeon X300 Kingston KHX1600C9D3/4GX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x Samsung HD204UI 7x Seagate ST2000DM001 Transcend TS16GSSD25-S 2x WD WD40EZRX 
Case
AZZA Helios 
  hide details  
Reply
RYZEN
(14 items)
 
OFFICE PC
(12 items)
 
20TB_HOMENAS
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700X ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming XFX 390x Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A bunch of swappable SSDs LG BD-ROM Thermaltake CL-P039-AL12BL-A Contac Silent Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Generic Korean 32" 4K Generic mechanical rainbow LED lit SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt AZZA Helios 910 CSAZ-910 
MouseAudio
Logitech G500 T1 24BIT Tube USB DAC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X2 255 ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 Radeon X300 Kingston KHX1600C9D3/4GX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x Samsung HD204UI 7x Seagate ST2000DM001 Transcend TS16GSSD25-S 2x WD WD40EZRX 
Case
AZZA Helios 
  hide details  
Reply
post #115 of 143
@FastMHz

Yup! My Windows 7 Ryzen system has been working great as well!

Windows itself runs completely fine. I used This patch to allow continuing Windows updates, even after having installed the latest security updates, and it runs like a dream.

My only complaints are mostly superficial, and should be unrelated to Windows: Having a few problems with getting my RAM to clock to speeds it's rated at, but it's not on the supported list (silly me) so not too unexpected. Also having issues with getting my NVMe SSD past ~1.2GB/s, but still toying with that, and it's not like I'll actually notice the speed reduction.....
post #116 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMHz View Post

Just a quick update - Win7 continues to run flawlessly ...

Congrats! thumb.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMHz View Post

... please recommend a good MLC 240GB drive to try. I won't run TLC.

Samsung 850 Pro (3D MLC).

Sandisk Extreme Pro (2D MLC)


Also of interest: What new SSDs are using MLC NAND?
HAL-9011
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 960T X6 4.1GHz ASUS M4A89GTD Pro Radeon HD 6870 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz 8·8·8·24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB OCZ Vertex 2 120GB WD Caviar Black 1TB LG DVD-RW 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Noctua NH-D14 Accelero S1 R.2 + 2x NF-F12 Se7en x64 Se7en x32 
PowerCase
Antec TP-650W CM HAF 912 + 
  hide details  
Reply
HAL-9011
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 960T X6 4.1GHz ASUS M4A89GTD Pro Radeon HD 6870 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz 8·8·8·24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB OCZ Vertex 2 120GB WD Caviar Black 1TB LG DVD-RW 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Noctua NH-D14 Accelero S1 R.2 + 2x NF-F12 Se7en x64 Se7en x32 
PowerCase
Antec TP-650W CM HAF 912 + 
  hide details  
Reply
post #117 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1n5aN1aC View Post

@FastMHz

Yup! My Windows 7 Ryzen system has been working great as well!

Windows itself runs completely fine. I used This patch to allow continuing Windows updates, even after having installed the latest security updates, and it runs like a dream.

My only complaints are mostly superficial, and should be unrelated to Windows: Having a few problems with getting my RAM to clock to speeds it's rated at, but it's not on the supported list (silly me) so not too unexpected. Also having issues with getting my NVMe SSD past ~1.2GB/s, but still toying with that, and it's not like I'll actually notice the speed reduction.....
 

 

Did you set up the NVMe drive to run on 3 x 4 lanes in the BIOS?


Edited by ThaWatcher - 4/21/17 at 10:01am
post #118 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMHz View Post

Just a quick update - Win7 continues to run flawlessly, with a minor OC to 3.6GHz, not a single crash yet and I've pushed it hard, with all cores pegged in video encodes and parity checks on large files.

I have a huge 32GB ram drive created by IMDisk, which is fun to install virtual machines onto. It's also my Adobe scratch disk.

It sleeps and wakes properly, though I typically just let it idle since power consumption is so darned low compared to my old FX.

I never could get the darn board to accept a Renesas add-in USB3 card. However, that was a carryover from my old Gigabyte UD3 which had crap USB. The new Ryzen USB works flawlessly so I don't need it in the end.

The only thing I don't like about this rig, which is unrelated to Win7, is the new SSD I got to replace the old OCZ Vertex 460 120GB drive - I wanted more space or I would've kept it from the previous rig. It's a Mushkin Reaktor and I don't like its poorly timed garbage collection. Or please recommend a good MLC 240GB drive to try. I won't run TLC.

 

Glad to hear you're having fun with your Ryzen build! I'm stable and comfortable at a 3.9GHz overclock with my RAM running at the advertised 2666MHz speeds.

 

Just curious.. why didn't you use an NVMe SSD like the Samsung 960 EVO? I only ask because I was going to do normal SSDs until I realized the Samsung EVO 960 250GB was only $130. Small price to pay for the speed.


Edited by ThaWatcher - 4/21/17 at 10:06am
post #119 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWatcher View Post

Did you set up the NVMe drive to run on 3 x 4 lanes in the BIOS?

Yup.

I do have full disk encryption using Veracrypt, but it's benchmark shows it can do well over 10GB/s, sometimes significantly more depending on when I run it, so I don't think that's the problem.
Samsung Magician shows PCIe Gen 3 x 4. It also shows I'm using the Samsung drivers.

Here's a picture of the relevant speeds:

LL
post #120 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1n5aN1aC View Post

@FastMHz

Yup! My Windows 7 Ryzen system has been working great as well!

Windows itself runs completely fine. I used This patch to allow continuing Windows updates, even after having installed the latest security updates, and it runs like a dream.

My only complaints are mostly superficial, and should be unrelated to Windows: Having a few problems with getting my RAM to clock to speeds it's rated at, but it's not on the supported list (silly me) so not too unexpected. Also having issues with getting my NVMe SSD past ~1.2GB/s, but still toying with that, and it's not like I'll actually notice the speed reduction.....

 

Oh wow! Mine is getting over 3,000MB/s and it's only the 250GB. I've seen people with the 500GB getting better readings than mine because of something about how the speed scales better with more storage? I'm not sure, but that would really be cool if true.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Windows 7 and Ryzen Questions