Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 Discussion - Page 80

post #791 of 1625
Nope past Default All Core Turbo Boost.
post #792 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaZFG View Post


I've tried all of those things except for different RAM slots. I'll try that again later today. Any idea why the CPU LED indicator would come on? The processor works just fine with the ROG board. I even tried to reseat the processor without any luck. I was about to RMA the CPU, but was glad to see that it still worked on another board.

 

Oh, crap... I'm sorry, man but I had what it seems the same issue, or I thought my mobo was faulty when I went through trial and error to get a light to just come on!

 

I'm not saying yours is the same issue, but hopefully what I went through will help you in some way.

 

I went through a long 2-3 day trial getting my mobo first to show that it had power to getting Windows 7 loaded and to keep it from hanging.

 

The first roadblock I had was the mobo wouldn't show any lights. I ran upon this step-by-step troubleshooting thread that mentioned making sure no extra standoffs were touching the mobo and BINGO! That was it! Not only that, the wide screw rings appear to touch the solder on the mobo so I actually had to put the paper washers on them for the first time. This is a consideration.

 

The other thing is I wasn't getting a picture and nothing from the CPU where I thought it was faulty. I re-seated that thing about 4 times and then caught a random post on the umpteenth website I stumbled upon by googling that said to try to loosen the screws on the heatsink of the CPU. For me it was from my Corsair h100i water cooler. I never realized I could be tightening it too tight, because sure enough... it posted after that!

 

Well, it posted after I put my GPU in the 2nd PCIe slot. That was a suggestion that worked for me, because initially it wasn't working in the 1st slot. I have no idea why. And when everything was loaded in Windows 7 Pro, I was able to move the GPU back to PCIe slot 1.

 

So hopefully you can glean something out of this to help you in your time of need.

post #793 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

Got the latest version of Prime95 and ran a blend test for 20 minutes. VRM's sat around 55c according to hwinfo64 and 2 degrees less according to my IR thermometer. This is with my 1800x at 4Ghz using 1.36v. I'm sure with realistic usage the VRM's stay under 50c.

I should have stated I used a thermal gun to validate the VRM temperatures. VRM gun showed 93-95C while under prime. You're only at 1.36 volts, I was over 1.4V ( and with LLC set to turbo) plus 1.2 volt on the memory controller. Let Prime run for at least 30 minutes before checking temps. Also, I used one of Gigabyte's voltage monitoring tools (forget the name) to measure the VRM's, not sure if that matters.
post #794 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpacket View Post

I should have stated I used a thermal gun to validate the VRM temperatures. VRM gun showed 93-95C while under prime. You're only at 1.36 volts, I was over 1.4V ( and with LLC set to turbo) plus 1.2 volt on the memory controller. Let Prime run for at least 30 minutes before checking temps. Also, I used one of Gigabyte's voltage monitoring tools (forget the name) to measure the VRM's, not sure if that matters.
My temps aren't going to shoot up almost 50c by letting Prime95 run for 10 minutes longer. No idea how your board is hitting almost 100c with those settings.
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4Ghz Asrock x370 Fatal1ty Professional Nvidia GTX 1080 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4Ghz Asrock x370 Fatal1ty Professional Nvidia GTX 1080 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
post #795 of 1625
I get 100C on VRM MOS at 4.9 with Prime95? I'm under the impression that this is completely normal. CPU Temps are around 80C tho.
post #796 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Dragoon View Post

I get 100C on VRM MOS at 4.9 with Prime95? I'm under the impression that this is completely normal. CPU Temps are around 80C tho.
VRM normal operating range is up to 125c
post #797 of 1625
You guys should point out which sensor you are looking at.

VR T1
VR T2
VRM Mos.

My VRM Mos reaches 70C running Prime @ 4000/1.412V. I have active cooling and in an open bench.
post #798 of 1625
Brand new guy here.

I have the K7 paired with a 1600X, Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 air cooler, Corsair LPX RAM (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Ver 5.39) 2x8 kit rated at 3200MHz.

I'm sitting at 3.9GHz at 1.375Vcore (CPU-Z says 1.356V), LLC = medium, 3200MHz 16 18 18 36 RAM. I've had zero issues with this board, processor, or RAM. The first thing I did was flash F3 bios, then set RAM to XMP profile 1, set SOC = 1.2V, left RAM voltage at AUTO, got to 3200MHz with zero issues. Oh and yes I did confirm that my RAM is running at 3200MHz in windows (CPU-Z and HWinfo show 1599.6MHz at the aforementioned timings). I've re-booted multiple times and even cold booted once (powered off system, then powered on). Technically, I don't think my RAM is on the Mobo QVL...I was sweating that I screwed up on my RAM purchase, based on reading everything in here. Man it looks like I got really lucky!

I've been running Prime95 (the maximum heat test) for about 40 minutes, Ryzen Master reports ~67-68C, HWinfo shows 74C max for my VRM and 68.3C max Tdie.

P.S. everything is sitting on my kitchen table. My case gets here tomorrow, but I couldn't wait. biggrin.gif At some point I'm certainly going to need to run some more stress testing, and I may try to hit that elusive 4.0GHz. Also wouldn't mind finding my lower Vcore limit...just didn't want to have to mess with reset CMOS right now haha. But I guess I'd better get used to it, huh?

I look forward to reading a lot more success stories and interesting nuggets of wisdom from you guys! Cheers!

EDIT: I have a possibly stupid question, one that has probably been answered. If so, I apologize...here goes. Prior to overclocking my CPU, I'm pretty sure that the CPU Vcore would drop really low during periods of low activity. Also, I know that my previous Intel CPU would do that (i5 2500K). After cranking up my 1600X, it looks like the Vcore is perpetually stuck at 1.356V, even when idle. Is it really stuck there all the time, or is there some voltage throttling going on that CPU-Z isn't reporting? It just seems like that's unnecessary when idle, and certainly wasting power.
Edited by teclado - 4/21/17 at 11:26pm
post #799 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by teclado View Post

Brand new guy here.

I have the K7 paired with a 1600X, Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 air cooler, Corsair LPX RAM (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Ver 5.39) 2x8 kit rated at 3200MHz.

I'm sitting at 3.9GHz at 1.375Vcore (CPU-Z says 1.356V), LLC = medium, 3200MHz 16 18 18 36 RAM. I've had zero issues with this board, processor, or RAM. The first thing I did was flash F3 bios, then set RAM to XMP profile 1, set SOC = 1.2V, left RAM voltage at AUTO, got to 3200MHz with zero issues. Oh and yes I did confirm that my RAM is running at 3200MHz in windows (CPU-Z and HWinfo show 1599.6MHz at the aforementioned timings). I've re-booted multiple times and even cold booted once (powered off system, then powered on). Technically, I don't think my RAM is on the Mobo QVL...I was sweating that I screwed up on my RAM purchase, based on reading everything in here. Man it looks like I got really lucky!

I've been running Prime95 (the maximum heat test) for about 40 minutes, Ryzen Master reports ~67-68C, HWinfo shows 74C max for my VRM and 68.3C max Tdie.

P.S. everything is sitting on my kitchen table. My case gets here tomorrow, but I couldn't wait. biggrin.gif At some point I'm certainly going to need to run some more stress testing, and I may try to hit that elusive 4.0GHz. Also wouldn't mind finding my lower Vcore limit...just didn't want to have to mess with reset CMOS right now haha. But I guess I'd better get used to it, huh?

I look forward to reading a lot more success stories and interesting nuggets of wisdom from you guys! Cheers!

EDIT: I have a possibly stupid question, one that has probably been answered. If so, I apologize...here goes. Prior to overclocking my CPU, I'm pretty sure that the CPU Vcore would drop really low during periods of low activity. Also, I know that my previous Intel CPU would do that (i5 2500K). After cranking up my 1600X, it looks like the Vcore is perpetually stuck at 1.356V, even when idle. Is it really stuck there all the time, or is there some voltage throttling going on that CPU-Z isn't reporting? It just seems like that's unnecessary when idle, and certainly wasting power.

At the moment when you oc past turbo/xfr speeds the power saving features would stop working.
Zangief
(16 items)
 
Zangief V2
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 BE Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming Corsair Vengeance Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Black Western Digital Blue Samsung Evo 850 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Asus 23" vx239H Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry Red) Corsair HX750i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide Series 400R Logitech Proteus Core G502 Steel Series QCK+ Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum RGB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD R7 1700x Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 850 Western Digital Black Western Digital Blue Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Asus VX239H Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red Corsair HX750i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide 400R Logitech G502 Proteus Core Steel Series QCK+ Logitech G633 7.1 Artemis Spectrum 
  hide details  
Reply
Zangief
(16 items)
 
Zangief V2
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 BE Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming Corsair Vengeance Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Black Western Digital Blue Samsung Evo 850 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Asus 23" vx239H Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry Red) Corsair HX750i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide Series 400R Logitech Proteus Core G502 Steel Series QCK+ Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum RGB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD R7 1700x Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 850 Western Digital Black Western Digital Blue Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Asus VX239H Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red Corsair HX750i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide 400R Logitech G502 Proteus Core Steel Series QCK+ Logitech G633 7.1 Artemis Spectrum 
  hide details  
Reply
post #800 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by teclado View Post

Brand new guy here.

I have the K7 paired with a 1600X, Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 air cooler, Corsair LPX RAM (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Ver 5.39) 2x8 kit rated at 3200MHz.

I'm sitting at 3.9GHz at 1.375Vcore (CPU-Z says 1.356V), LLC = medium, 3200MHz 16 18 18 36 RAM. I've had zero issues with this board, processor, or RAM.

I look forward to reading a lot more success stories and interesting nuggets of wisdom from you guys! Cheers!
 

Thanks for sharing your success story!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 Discussion