Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › DIY Router and NAS as 1?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Router and NAS as 1? - Page 3

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrayniak View Post

I'm assuming you mean Raspberry Pi?

I didn't realize you can get add-on boards for Pi to use as a router.

All you need for a router is two nics and a switch. A USB 3.1 adapter would do fine and a 20 dollar unmanaged switch will round you out. It isn't your only option, but it is an option.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post

All you need for a router is two nics and a switch. A USB 3.1 adapter would do fine and a 20 dollar unmanaged switch will round you out. It isn't your only option, but it is an option.

A Raspberry PI makes for a really crappy router.

Mainly because it pretty much has horrible IO, and worthless for anything that needs throughput. May be fine if you have slow DSL, but would never put it on a connection that has more than 40mbps.


A Budget Router would be way way better. Especially the ones you can flash DD-WRT or Tomato onto. PfSense is not for those that are new to networking, I would not recommend it if you are not experienced in this field.

That being said, you could run PfSense in a VM on a file server, but most cheap computers are going to use 60-120watts from the wall. You will want to add in a 2-4 port intel NIC card as well.

Most routers these days can act as a NAS, but the USB performance is horrible. Even the ones with usb 3.0, unless you get the top of the line units.


Honestly pick up a netgear r7000 used, flash wrt merlin onto it, and you'll have both a powerful router and a decent nas with a usb3.0 drive.

If you were looking into having a bunch of drives installed into the computer, just grab an old low power C2D or i3 and just run PfSense/Untangle in a VM with a 2-4 port NIC. Or you can run ClearOS which will give you both a router and fileserver in one OS. But the newer version is a pain to get UPnP working on, as the old plugin doesn't work on the new version. So you gotta install one via the CLI. ClearOS runs on CentOS, so it can do alot.
Red Dragon
(19 items)
 
HTPC
(20 items)
 
HomeServer
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K @4.8ghz Asrock p67 Extreme4 GTX1080 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 9-11-11-31 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x 640 WD blacks Raid 0 Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 512GB SSD Sandisk 1TB SSD Samsung 470 Series 128GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Raystorm Windows 10 64bit Microboard m340clz 100hz 3440x1440 Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
TX850 HAF922 Logitech G502 Creative Sound Blaster Z  
AudioAudioAudio
Elac B6 & Dayton Audio SUB-800 Yamaha HTR-5790 Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 4GHZ Gigabyte EP45 UD3P GTX470 4GB OCZ Reaper 1150mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 500gb OCZ Vertex 2 60GB LG Bluray Corsair H50 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium  Logitech K400 Corsair CX500 nMEDIAPC 6000B 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Yamaha HTR-5063 PS3 80GB BC PS3 with 250GB hard drive. Polk Audio Monitor 60s Bi-AMP Front Polk Audio Monitor 30s Rear 
OtherOther
Polk Audio CS1 Center Polk Audio PSW10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon Harpertown 3.6ghz Asus P5Q SE/R HD7770 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 2TB Hitachi 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
2TB Seagate 2TB Western Digital 1TB Hitachi Windows Home Server 2011 
Power
Corsair CX500 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Dragon
(19 items)
 
HTPC
(20 items)
 
HomeServer
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K @4.8ghz Asrock p67 Extreme4 GTX1080 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 9-11-11-31 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x 640 WD blacks Raid 0 Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 512GB SSD Sandisk 1TB SSD Samsung 470 Series 128GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Raystorm Windows 10 64bit Microboard m340clz 100hz 3440x1440 Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
TX850 HAF922 Logitech G502 Creative Sound Blaster Z  
AudioAudioAudio
Elac B6 & Dayton Audio SUB-800 Yamaha HTR-5790 Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 4GHZ Gigabyte EP45 UD3P GTX470 4GB OCZ Reaper 1150mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 500gb OCZ Vertex 2 60GB LG Bluray Corsair H50 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium  Logitech K400 Corsair CX500 nMEDIAPC 6000B 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Yamaha HTR-5063 PS3 80GB BC PS3 with 250GB hard drive. Polk Audio Monitor 60s Bi-AMP Front Polk Audio Monitor 30s Rear 
OtherOther
Polk Audio CS1 Center Polk Audio PSW10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon Harpertown 3.6ghz Asus P5Q SE/R HD7770 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 2TB Hitachi 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
2TB Seagate 2TB Western Digital 1TB Hitachi Windows Home Server 2011 
Power
Corsair CX500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

A Raspberry PI makes for a really crappy router.

Mainly because it pretty much has horrible IO, and worthless for anything that needs throughput. May be fine if you have slow DSL, but would never put it on a connection that has more than 40mbps.


A Budget Router would be way way better. Especially the ones you can flash DD-WRT or Tomato onto. PfSense is not for those that are new to networking, I would not recommend it if you are not experienced in this field.

That being said, you could run PfSense in a VM on a file server, but most cheap computers are going to use 60-120watts from the wall. You will want to add in a 2-4 port intel NIC card as well.

Most routers these days can act as a NAS, but the USB performance is horrible. Even the ones with usb 3.0, unless you get the top of the line units.


Honestly pick up a netgear r7000 used, flash wrt merlin onto it, and you'll have both a powerful router and a decent nas with a usb3.0 drive.

If you were looking into having a bunch of drives installed into the computer, just grab an old low power C2D or i3 and just run PfSense/Untangle in a VM with a 2-4 port NIC. Or you can run ClearOS which will give you both a router and fileserver in one OS. But the newer version is a pain to get UPnP working on, as the old plugin doesn't work on the new version. So S
ou gotta install one via the CLI. ClearOS runs on CentOS, so it can do alot.

There are definitely some disadvantages to a pi but thoroughput would not be one. A consumer router has a much weaker soc and runs pretty much the same software.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post

There are definitely some disadvantages to a pi but thoroughput would not be one. A consumer router has a much weaker soc and runs pretty much the same software.

I'm talking about IO, not processing power.

Even the Pi's Ethernet port is routed through the usb 2.0 interface.

That and there is no real routing software other than using an OS's Basic routing services. This would be a bad thing to do.

First what's the point of a Router is you dont have a remote web based interface to easily change settings. Or be able to enable basic services like UPnP, Multicast, QoS, Etc. I don't know of a single Pi OS that is built to be used as a router like PfSense.

Not only that but you will need to use usb gigabit Ethernet adapters for anything faster than 100mbps, and even then you are still limited on what the usb 2.0 interface can do. Which is not that great BTW.

On top of that most usb Ethernet chipsets are pretty meh, and can cause problems in the future.


You can get a router for 20 bucks that would do a better job than the pi.




Hell I wouldn't even use the Pi as a NAS, as USB 2.0 and Fast Ethernet sucks. Hell even Gigabit ethernet can only push 112MB/s, Which is good deal slower than pretty much every drive in my Data Server for read speeds.
Red Dragon
(19 items)
 
HTPC
(20 items)
 
HomeServer
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K @4.8ghz Asrock p67 Extreme4 GTX1080 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 9-11-11-31 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x 640 WD blacks Raid 0 Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 512GB SSD Sandisk 1TB SSD Samsung 470 Series 128GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Raystorm Windows 10 64bit Microboard m340clz 100hz 3440x1440 Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
TX850 HAF922 Logitech G502 Creative Sound Blaster Z  
AudioAudioAudio
Elac B6 & Dayton Audio SUB-800 Yamaha HTR-5790 Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 4GHZ Gigabyte EP45 UD3P GTX470 4GB OCZ Reaper 1150mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 500gb OCZ Vertex 2 60GB LG Bluray Corsair H50 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium  Logitech K400 Corsair CX500 nMEDIAPC 6000B 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Yamaha HTR-5063 PS3 80GB BC PS3 with 250GB hard drive. Polk Audio Monitor 60s Bi-AMP Front Polk Audio Monitor 30s Rear 
OtherOther
Polk Audio CS1 Center Polk Audio PSW10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon Harpertown 3.6ghz Asus P5Q SE/R HD7770 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 2TB Hitachi 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
2TB Seagate 2TB Western Digital 1TB Hitachi Windows Home Server 2011 
Power
Corsair CX500 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Dragon
(19 items)
 
HTPC
(20 items)
 
HomeServer
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K @4.8ghz Asrock p67 Extreme4 GTX1080 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 9-11-11-31 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x 640 WD blacks Raid 0 Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 512GB SSD Sandisk 1TB SSD Samsung 470 Series 128GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Raystorm Windows 10 64bit Microboard m340clz 100hz 3440x1440 Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
TX850 HAF922 Logitech G502 Creative Sound Blaster Z  
AudioAudioAudio
Elac B6 & Dayton Audio SUB-800 Yamaha HTR-5790 Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 4GHZ Gigabyte EP45 UD3P GTX470 4GB OCZ Reaper 1150mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 500gb OCZ Vertex 2 60GB LG Bluray Corsair H50 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium  Logitech K400 Corsair CX500 nMEDIAPC 6000B 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Yamaha HTR-5063 PS3 80GB BC PS3 with 250GB hard drive. Polk Audio Monitor 60s Bi-AMP Front Polk Audio Monitor 30s Rear 
OtherOther
Polk Audio CS1 Center Polk Audio PSW10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon Harpertown 3.6ghz Asus P5Q SE/R HD7770 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 2TB Hitachi 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
2TB Seagate 2TB Western Digital 1TB Hitachi Windows Home Server 2011 
Power
Corsair CX500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 27
ClearOS ??
Server1 - Main
(17 items)
 
Slow Coach
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus z97 Hero Gigabyte 980Ti 6gb Kingston Hyper X 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
M500 M500 OCZ ARC H100i 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Enterprise  Prolite GB2488HSU Prolite GB2488HSU Prolite GB2488HSU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Corsair AX860 Fractal Design R4 Razer Mamba 
Audio
Razer 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
1055T Gigabyte 990fx UD5 corsair 4 x 2 GiG 2 x 1 terabyte Western Black 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3 x 500 gig WD Black Pix Fractal Design Fans x 2 Server 2012 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
mstsc mstsc 400 watt corsair Fractal Design R5 
MouseOtherOtherOther
mstsc EATON 5110 UPS StarView SV231UADVI KVM LSI controller card 4 port 
Other
Intel DualPort Gigabit NIC PRO1000PT 
  hide details  
Reply
Server1 - Main
(17 items)
 
Slow Coach
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus z97 Hero Gigabyte 980Ti 6gb Kingston Hyper X 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
M500 M500 OCZ ARC H100i 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Enterprise  Prolite GB2488HSU Prolite GB2488HSU Prolite GB2488HSU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Corsair AX860 Fractal Design R4 Razer Mamba 
Audio
Razer 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
1055T Gigabyte 990fx UD5 corsair 4 x 2 GiG 2 x 1 terabyte Western Black 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3 x 500 gig WD Black Pix Fractal Design Fans x 2 Server 2012 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
mstsc mstsc 400 watt corsair Fractal Design R5 
MouseOtherOtherOther
mstsc EATON 5110 UPS StarView SV231UADVI KVM LSI controller card 4 port 
Other
Intel DualPort Gigabit NIC PRO1000PT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by levontraut View Post

ClearOS ??

I did say something about this earlier too

ClearOS is a nice package, other than getting UPnP to work. As you pretty much have to install a CentOS package to get it. As ClearOS runs on CentOS, you can pretty much install anything on it. ClearOS has a nice array of Packages in the UI, but for anything more you gotta use Cent OS packages. And it may be a little much for some. ClearOS itself is super easy to use, even has a plex server app. Only thing that killed it for me was I didn't feel like getting UPnP to work, which I need for my Xbox and PS4.
Red Dragon
(19 items)
 
HTPC
(20 items)
 
HomeServer
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K @4.8ghz Asrock p67 Extreme4 GTX1080 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 9-11-11-31 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x 640 WD blacks Raid 0 Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 512GB SSD Sandisk 1TB SSD Samsung 470 Series 128GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Raystorm Windows 10 64bit Microboard m340clz 100hz 3440x1440 Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
TX850 HAF922 Logitech G502 Creative Sound Blaster Z  
AudioAudioAudio
Elac B6 & Dayton Audio SUB-800 Yamaha HTR-5790 Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 4GHZ Gigabyte EP45 UD3P GTX470 4GB OCZ Reaper 1150mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 500gb OCZ Vertex 2 60GB LG Bluray Corsair H50 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium  Logitech K400 Corsair CX500 nMEDIAPC 6000B 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Yamaha HTR-5063 PS3 80GB BC PS3 with 250GB hard drive. Polk Audio Monitor 60s Bi-AMP Front Polk Audio Monitor 30s Rear 
OtherOther
Polk Audio CS1 Center Polk Audio PSW10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon Harpertown 3.6ghz Asus P5Q SE/R HD7770 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 2TB Hitachi 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
2TB Seagate 2TB Western Digital 1TB Hitachi Windows Home Server 2011 
Power
Corsair CX500 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Dragon
(19 items)
 
HTPC
(20 items)
 
HomeServer
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K @4.8ghz Asrock p67 Extreme4 GTX1080 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 9-11-11-31 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x 640 WD blacks Raid 0 Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 512GB SSD Sandisk 1TB SSD Samsung 470 Series 128GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Raystorm Windows 10 64bit Microboard m340clz 100hz 3440x1440 Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
TX850 HAF922 Logitech G502 Creative Sound Blaster Z  
AudioAudioAudio
Elac B6 & Dayton Audio SUB-800 Yamaha HTR-5790 Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 4GHZ Gigabyte EP45 UD3P GTX470 4GB OCZ Reaper 1150mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 500gb OCZ Vertex 2 60GB LG Bluray Corsair H50 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium  Logitech K400 Corsair CX500 nMEDIAPC 6000B 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Yamaha HTR-5063 PS3 80GB BC PS3 with 250GB hard drive. Polk Audio Monitor 60s Bi-AMP Front Polk Audio Monitor 30s Rear 
OtherOther
Polk Audio CS1 Center Polk Audio PSW10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon Harpertown 3.6ghz Asus P5Q SE/R HD7770 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 2TB Hitachi 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
2TB Seagate 2TB Western Digital 1TB Hitachi Windows Home Server 2011 
Power
Corsair CX500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

I'm talking about IO, not processing power.

Even the Pi's Ethernet port is routed through the usb 2.0 interface.

That and there is no real routing software other than using an OS's Basic routing services. This would be a bad thing to do.

First what's the point of a Router is you dont have a remote web based interface to easily change settings. Or be able to enable basic services like UPnP, Multicast, QoS, Etc. I don't know of a single Pi OS that is built to be used as a router like PfSense.

Not only that but you will need to use usb gigabit Ethernet adapters for anything faster than 100mbps, and even then you are still limited on what the usb 2.0 interface can do. Which is not that great BTW.

On top of that most usb Ethernet chipsets are pretty meh, and can cause problems in the future.


You can get a router for 20 bucks that would do a better job than the pi.




Hell I wouldn't even use the Pi as a NAS, as USB 2.0 and Fast Ethernet sucks. Hell even Gigabit ethernet can only push 112MB/s, Which is good deal slower than pretty much every drive in my Data Server for read speeds.

The IO thing is a bummer. I didn't know the built in Ethernet was limited to USB 2.0 speeds. That sucks.

With that being said, on the software side, there is nothing wrong with iptables and ssh. I haven't checked, but I am sure you can setup a decent dns server with dhcp. It would get the job done for less than 100$. A different soc would be better. Maybe a used atom board instead.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › DIY Router and NAS as 1?