Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Various] Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus Announced
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus Announced - Page 15

post #141 of 609
Played with both the S8 and S8+ in Best Buy and they are really nice. Compared to my S5, the S8 is narrower and taller, thus felt smaller in my hand. S8+ felt similar to my S5, but was way longer, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Reminds me of when I switched from a 27" 1440p screen to an Ultrawide 34" 3440x1440 screen. Camera was exception and very quick, but that's probably why Samsung didn't bother to update the hardware when it already beats or matches the best of the mobile cameras.

I plan to pre-order the S8+ tomorrow in Best Buy and it comes to $750 with the free VR Gear Headset + controller, which is claimed through Samsung's website. Where are these $1000 figures coming from??? Australia is an exception since everything there is close to 1.5x the price.

Looking through the comments, I don't really understand why people keep comparing this phone to their own phones from current gen to 2 generations ago. Makes sense to upgrade to this if you're coming from a 3-year old (or older) S5 like I am, but anything within the last 1-2 years will be comparable and should be expected with such a stagnant market. Pretty sure most people who got the GTX 1080 didn't bother upgrading to the 1080Ti.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [Delid] Asrock Z77E-ITX XFX Radeon R9 Fury X G.SKILL 2133MHz 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB Silicon Power S60 120GB Western Digital Blue Scorpio 1TB Seagate Constellation 2 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II XSPC RX240+EX240 [Painted White] 5x 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons PWM [Painted Black+W... Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80 Inline Reservoir  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 LG 34UC88-B 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 75Hz HP ZR2240w IPS WASD CODE 87-Key [MX Clear + PBT Keycaps] 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonix X-750 Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech G502 Sennheiser HD 598 SE 
Audio
Micca OriGen 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [Delid] Asrock Z77E-ITX XFX Radeon R9 Fury X G.SKILL 2133MHz 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB Silicon Power S60 120GB Western Digital Blue Scorpio 1TB Seagate Constellation 2 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II XSPC RX240+EX240 [Painted White] 5x 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons PWM [Painted Black+W... Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80 Inline Reservoir  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 LG 34UC88-B 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 75Hz HP ZR2240w IPS WASD CODE 87-Key [MX Clear + PBT Keycaps] 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonix X-750 Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech G502 Sennheiser HD 598 SE 
Audio
Micca OriGen 
  hide details  
Reply
post #142 of 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokin View Post

Played with both the S8 and S8+ in Best Buy and they are really nice. Compared to my S5, the S8 is narrower and taller, thus felt smaller in my hand. S8+ felt similar to my S5, but was way longer, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Reminds me of when I switched from a 27" 1440p screen to an Ultrawide 34" 3440x1440 screen. Camera was exception and very quick, but that's probably why Samsung didn't bother to update the hardware when it already beats or matches the best of the mobile cameras.

I plan to pre-order the S8+ tomorrow in Best Buy and it comes to $750 with the free VR Gear Headset + controller, which is claimed through Samsung's website. Where are these $1000 figures coming from??? Australia is an exception since everything there is close to 1.5x the price.

Looking through the comments, I don't really understand why people keep comparing this phone to their own phones from current gen to 2 generations ago. Makes sense to upgrade to this if you're coming from a 3-year old (or older) S5 like I am, but anything within the last 1-2 years will be comparable and should be expected with such a stagnant market. Pretty sure most people who got the GTX 1080 didn't bother upgrading to the 1080Ti.

Pretty much spot on. I can't believe all these people are still missing THE major feature of this phone which is the screen size (and crucially its screen-to-body size ratio). "But it doesn't have dual camera!" "But its expensive!" "But it has TW!"

First, it doesn't need dual cameras as that is just as gimmicky as the stuff Samsung has done in the past which earned that same criticism. Second, all flagship phones are expensive (excluding Chinese crap like the One Plus One which I wouldn't be caught dead with anyway) and you can get the S8+ from BB for $716 which is certainly not unreasonable for a phone with a 6.2" AMOLED display. Third, TW is barely noticeable on my S7E and is even more stripped down on the S8. Of course there's still Samsung's "bloatware" but a lot of those features are actuall quite useful if you actually bother to try them rather than snobbishly dismissing them out of hand (Samsung Pay for instance).
post #143 of 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Pretty much spot on. I can't believe all these people are still missing THE major feature of this phone which is the screen size (and crucially its screen-to-body size ratio). "But it doesn't have dual camera!" "But its expensive!" "But it has TW!"

First, it doesn't need dual cameras as that is just as gimmicky as the stuff Samsung has done in the past which earned that same criticism. Second, all flagship phones are expensive (excluding Chinese crap like the One Plus One which I wouldn't be caught dead with anyway) and you can get the S8+ from BB for $716 which is certainly not unreasonable for a phone with a 6.2" AMOLED display. Third, TW is barely noticeable on my S7E and is even more stripped down on the S8. Of course there's still Samsung's "bloatware" but a lot of those features are actuall quite useful if you actually bother to try them rather than snobbishly dismissing them out of hand (Samsung Pay for instance).

TW is barely noticeable? Is that a joke?

Werent you complaining about people calling samsung features gimmicks? and now you turn around and do the same because samsung does not have what others have

All flagship phones are expensive. Samsung is just the most expensive.
post #144 of 609
I was simply illustrating the hypocrisy of complaining about all of Samsung's historic "gimmicks" then glorifying gimmicks in other phones. I personally like gimmicks and dual camera is cool with me (I said the iPhone takes great pictures after all) but its absence from the S8 is by no means a deal breaker in any way. And as I just said you can preorder the S8+ from BB right now for $716 which is actually not bad considering that amazing display.

Look, the S8/S8+ is not perfect by any means (no phone is) but it will be hugely successful as its design will be a hit with the majority of consumers, I guarantee you of that. I'm trying really hard not to pop down to BB and preorder one myself because my S7E is still plenty of phone for me but that damn screen on the Plus really took my breath away. Its a gorgeous phone.
post #145 of 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Pretty much spot on. I can't believe all these people are still missing THE major feature of this phone which is the screen size (and crucially its screen-to-body size ratio). "But it doesn't have dual camera!" "But its expensive!" "But it has TW!"

First, it doesn't need dual cameras as that is just as gimmicky as the stuff Samsung has done in the past which earned that same criticism. Second, all flagship phones are expensive (excluding Chinese crap like the One Plus One which I wouldn't be caught dead with anyway) and you can get the S8+ from BB for $716 which is certainly not unreasonable for a phone with a 6.2" AMOLED display. Third, TW is barely noticeable on my S7E and is even more stripped down on the S8. Of course there's still Samsung's "bloatware" but a lot of those features are actuall quite useful if you actually bother to try them rather than snobbishly dismissing them out of hand (Samsung Pay for instance).

Do you really wait 1 year for just a screen upgrade?
MKBHD says there are 4 things that make a great phone.
1) Camera > Same
2) Performance > Barely an upgrade
3) Battery > Same
4) Display > Upgrade to some.

So in reality GS8 was not that much of a 1 year upgrade. Even iPhone S phones bring more change.
Ishimura
(20 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX 3x GentleTyphoon AP-15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(20 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX 3x GentleTyphoon AP-15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #146 of 609
As I've said before in this thread, I don't buy a phone based on spec sheets (for God sake, i couldn't care less about what my phone scores in AnTuTu). I buy a new phone because it makes all current phones look dated by comparison. The S8 does that and then some. But by all means, if all you care about is which phone wins the spec sheet battle feel free to buy something else. My GS4 had plenty of performance for me so literally ANY of the current flagship phones would be fine performance-wise. But none of them LOOK like that S8+ and that's all there is to it.
post #147 of 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

I was simply illustrating the hypocrisy of complaining about all of Samsung's historic "gimmicks" then glorifying gimmicks in other phones. I personally like gimmicks and dual camera is cool with me (I said the iPhone takes great pictures after all) but its absence from the S8 is by no means a deal breaker in any way. And as I just said you can preorder the S8+ from BB right now for $716 which is actually not bad considering that amazing display.

Look, the S8/S8+ is not perfect by any means (no phone is) but it will be hugely successful as its design will be a hit with the majority of consumers, I guarantee you of that. I'm trying really hard not to pop down to BB and preorder one myself because my S7E is still plenty of phone for me but that damn screen on the Plus really took my breath away. Its a gorgeous phone.

Dont get me wrong... I still might end up buying it. I still can criticize it though.

Inky th8ng going for it is the screen and iris scanner imo. No dual camera is a deal breaker for me but not a big one.

I'll see how its sound output,camera and battery life goes. Then I'll decide to get it or wait for Note 8 or V30
post #148 of 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetgamer120 View Post

Dont get me wrong... I still might end up buying it. I still can criticize it though.

Inky th8ng going for it is the screen and iris scanner imo. No dual camera is a deal breaker for me but not a big one.

I'll see how its sound output,camera and battery life goes. Then I'll decide to get it or wait for Note 8 or V30

Fair enough. If the improvements I've seen from battery life on my S7E since getting the Nougat upgrade are anything to go by though I suspect battery life should be fine. But then again that giant screen could muck that up a bit, will have to wait and see.

Don't forget all of the great features you missed like IP68, USB-C, fast charging, wireless charging, etc/. They may not be features unique to the S8 but they all come along with that incredible display.
Edited by Majin SSJ Eric - 4/2/17 at 8:09pm
post #149 of 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

As I've said before in this thread, I don't buy a phone based on spec sheets (for God sake, i couldn't care less about what my phone scores in AnTuTu). I buy a new phone because it makes all current phones look dated by comparison. The S8 does that and then some. But by all means, if all you care about is which phone wins the spec sheet battle feel free to buy something else. My GS4 had plenty of performance for me so literally ANY of the current flagship phones would be fine performance-wise. But none of them LOOK like that S8+ and that's all there is to it.

I understand what you mean but give me a reason to upgrade. When you compare Android to Android you compare specs. You can not get away from it. Why did not get bigger battery? Why was the Camera no upgrade?
I understand the battery controversy but Camera? Main reason I need a new phone right now Is because the camera in my current one is terrible. Everything else is more than fine. Also keep in mind the price of the phone. Unlike iPhone you lose half the value in 3-4 months while iPhone loses barely anything.
Ishimura
(20 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX 3x GentleTyphoon AP-15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(20 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX 3x GentleTyphoon AP-15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #150 of 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

I understand what you mean but give me a reason to upgrade. When you compare Android to Android you compare specs. You can not get away from it. Why did not get bigger battery? Why was the Camera no upgrade?
I understand the battery controversy but Camera? Main reason I need a new phone right now Is because the camera in my current one is terrible. Everything else is more than fine. Also keep in mind the price of the phone. Unlike iPhone you lose half the value in 3-4 months while iPhone loses barely anything.

Their camera is already one of the best in the market... with emphasis on improvements with the post-processing software, yet you want more? You're not even willing to pay for the price of the phone and if you're actually considering resale value of a phone, it's obvious you're not the target audience of this phone. Please consider buying a used comparable Galaxy S7 Edge for $350-400 if you really want the best value for your money.

Again I have to say this, but no one is forcing you to buy the phone. If it doesn't suit your needs or you can't afford it, then why stay in this thread? The specs have been released and demo units can be seen in places like Best Buy. Try it out for yourself before you continue to complain about the same things, it's already the best they can produce within a certain time and budget constraint. Expecting more won't do anything but disappoint you.

How come it seems like the actual tech improvements aren't being cared about here either? Bluetooth 5.0, gigabit LTE support, quickcharge 4.0 (quicker and cooler temp), HDR support? All the complaints have been about the camera and battery capacity, not about the better performing SoC. Other Androids and iPhone don't even support a lot of these new features.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [Delid] Asrock Z77E-ITX XFX Radeon R9 Fury X G.SKILL 2133MHz 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB Silicon Power S60 120GB Western Digital Blue Scorpio 1TB Seagate Constellation 2 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II XSPC RX240+EX240 [Painted White] 5x 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons PWM [Painted Black+W... Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80 Inline Reservoir  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 LG 34UC88-B 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 75Hz HP ZR2240w IPS WASD CODE 87-Key [MX Clear + PBT Keycaps] 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonix X-750 Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech G502 Sennheiser HD 598 SE 
Audio
Micca OriGen 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [Delid] Asrock Z77E-ITX XFX Radeon R9 Fury X G.SKILL 2133MHz 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB Silicon Power S60 120GB Western Digital Blue Scorpio 1TB Seagate Constellation 2 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II XSPC RX240+EX240 [Painted White] 5x 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons PWM [Painted Black+W... Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80 Inline Reservoir  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 LG 34UC88-B 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 75Hz HP ZR2240w IPS WASD CODE 87-Key [MX Clear + PBT Keycaps] 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonix X-750 Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech G502 Sennheiser HD 598 SE 
Audio
Micca OriGen 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Various] Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus Announced