Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › How To Flash A Different BIOS On Your 1080 Ti.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How To Flash A Different BIOS On Your 1080 Ti. - Page 17

post #161 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post

I don't think you read my other posts. It works completely fine with reference bios like the SC2 and stock BIOS.

Please read full post next-generation time. 3 other users reported same issue as I did.
Well, grumpy McGrumperston... Here's the thing. The BIOS may very well have a simple lookup table assigned to power scaling. They do this with other settings - the "output" value is the value in the table location indexed by "input" (which is scaled to (max-min)/(#of locations in the table) ).

As such, when you go outside their expected input values, by say, shorting out a path that would ordinarily include a voltage drop, you run the risk of putting your "input" in the wrong/unexpected/undesireable location within that lookup table.

A crude analogy is an A/D with a limiting circuit driven past breakdown voltage. You still get a voltage reading on the input of the A/D, but its now on the opposite end of voltage swing. It doesn't saturate but rather "wraps".

It stands to reason that different bios/lookup table shapes would give you a different response to this condition based on how often they reached the "wrap" point whatever that may be in this case.
Edited by cekim - 4/20/17 at 11:17am
post #162 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post

Please do. Maybe you can help me figure out why the ASUS isn't working with the shunt mod for me. It doesn't understand or recognize the extra power. It just runs like it did before and voltage drops like crazy thinking it is power limited.


That is weird, because this is quick run i did yesterday morning before heading out for work -



This was at 2050Mhz @ 1.093V . I dont think i paid attention to GPUz since i was getting ready. Ill do another run tonight or tomorrow.
post #163 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousReload View Post

I tried the ASUS BIOS before I went Hybrid, wasn't great for me, I do want to try it again with the Hybrid. Slim I know you said I should do the shunt mod, its still on the table, but I am saving it for last resort. I will try the ASUS BIOS again tonight and see if it helps after the hybrid.

Even if the ASUS bios worked for you, 30 watts isn't really enough or anything to eliminate power limiting. You would need approximately 375 Watts like some other partner cards.
post #164 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhawk View Post

That is weird, because this is quick run i did yesterday morning before heading out for work -



This was at 2050Mhz @ 1.093V . I dont think i paid attention to GPUz since i was getting ready. Ill do another run tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah, the run I did was supposed to be at 2114 Mhz @ 1.062v, but here's what was happening, and you can clearly see it in the graphs.

Asus bios was reporting power limits, even though it was some what access the extra power, just like you (your max power is 93% with shunt).

But because it was reporting perf cap, it would ping the TDP to drop voltages and bins. So what ended up happening was voltage and core settings continued to rise and drop, even though the card was accessing more power, it was having a nightmare roller coaster and not keeping the clocks and voltages.

So what you see in my score is the card running various different clocks.

post #165 of 338
AMP extreme one is up on TPU, my founders 1080ti boosted to 1898 on stock bios and 2037 with the amp xtreme one, go try it.
Ryzen Baby!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 @ 3.9 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Founders @ 2000/1... Gskill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB Monsta560,D5,MMRS,HeatkillerIV,SupEVO,F140MP Windows 10 Pro x64 27" ASUS PG278Q @ 2560x1440 @ Gsync @ 144HZ @ 1MS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake POSEIDON Z ( Brown ) EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Power Supply Thermaltake Core P5 Logitech G403 wireless 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Steelseries QcK Heavy Lexicon Alpha+JBL LSR305+Beyerdynamic DT-770Pro Aquaero 6 PRO USB Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Baby!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 @ 3.9 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Founders @ 2000/1... Gskill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB Monsta560,D5,MMRS,HeatkillerIV,SupEVO,F140MP Windows 10 Pro x64 27" ASUS PG278Q @ 2560x1440 @ Gsync @ 144HZ @ 1MS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake POSEIDON Z ( Brown ) EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Power Supply Thermaltake Core P5 Logitech G403 wireless 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Steelseries QcK Heavy Lexicon Alpha+JBL LSR305+Beyerdynamic DT-770Pro Aquaero 6 PRO USB Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #166 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post

AMP extreme one is up on TPU, my founders 1080ti boosted to 1898 on stock bios and 2037 with the amp xtreme one, go try it.

What's your power limit like?
post #167 of 338
It shows random stuff, my card is shunt modded and TDP is ~60% under load still the perfcap window shows green power limit bars.
Ryzen Baby!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 @ 3.9 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Founders @ 2000/1... Gskill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB Monsta560,D5,MMRS,HeatkillerIV,SupEVO,F140MP Windows 10 Pro x64 27" ASUS PG278Q @ 2560x1440 @ Gsync @ 144HZ @ 1MS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake POSEIDON Z ( Brown ) EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Power Supply Thermaltake Core P5 Logitech G403 wireless 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Steelseries QcK Heavy Lexicon Alpha+JBL LSR305+Beyerdynamic DT-770Pro Aquaero 6 PRO USB Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Baby!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700 @ 3.9 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Founders @ 2000/1... Gskill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB Monsta560,D5,MMRS,HeatkillerIV,SupEVO,F140MP Windows 10 Pro x64 27" ASUS PG278Q @ 2560x1440 @ Gsync @ 144HZ @ 1MS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake POSEIDON Z ( Brown ) EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Power Supply Thermaltake Core P5 Logitech G403 wireless 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Steelseries QcK Heavy Lexicon Alpha+JBL LSR305+Beyerdynamic DT-770Pro Aquaero 6 PRO USB Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #168 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post

AMP extreme one is up on TPU, my founders 1080ti boosted to 1898 on stock bios and 2037 with the amp xtreme one, go try it.

All that is is the stock voltage curve being raised by default.

For example, if I flash Asus or msi bios I will have a higher base core and therefore a higher boost core.

What I'm more interested is your TDP.

Please run superposition and take a screenshot of gpu-z sensors, afterburn and afterburner graphs.

Edit: Nvm, you are shunt modded. Won't give useful data to non shunt modded people.
post #169 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekim View Post

Well, grumpy McGrumperston... Here's the thing. The BIOS may very well have a simple lookup table assigned to power scaling. They do this with other settings - the "output" value is the value in the table location indexed by "input" (which is scaled to (max-min)/(#of locations in the table) ).

As such, when you go outside their expected input values, by say, shorting out a path that would ordinarily include a voltage drop, you run the risk of putting your "input" in the wrong/unexpected/undesireable location within that lookup table.

A crude analogy is an A/D with a limiting circuit driven past breakdown voltage. You still get a voltage reading on the input of the A/D, but its now on the opposite end of voltage swing. It doesn't saturate but rather "wraps".

It stands to reason that different bios/lookup table shapes would give you a different response to this condition based on how often they reached the "wrap" point whatever that may be in this case.

Would have beer better if you lead up with that comment verus a confusing shirt vague answer.

I'm sorry if I sounded grumpy. Thank you.
post #170 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post

Would have beer better if you lead up with that comment verus a confusing shirt vague answer.

I'm sorry if I sounded grumpy. Thank you.
It's ok, I don't take any of this sort of thing too seriously, particularly myself.

I thought it worth a mention when getting into shunt-mod-land that someone who had spent more time than I had noticed the circuit/function had changed from the past and needed a little more "finesse" (aka more specific change to resistance values rather than "short it out") to work around it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › How To Flash A Different BIOS On Your 1080 Ti.