Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Thread - Page 56

post #551 of 1048
Heya folks,

here is my first impression of the AORUS GTX 1080 TI Xtreme.

I read alot about this card on several gaming/hardware sites and it seemd like a realy good performer. High clockrates and a good cooling solution, keeping the card at low temps and still silent at this. Finaly a friend of mine got the very same card and was realy happy with it, so the decision was made.

So i ordered mine 2 days ago via express delivery, got it today and was very stoked to try it out. Installation was easy, even though it is bigger than my already bulky EVGA GTX 1080 FTW. Luckily space is not an issue in my Coolermaster HAF-X case, lots of it in there rolleyes.gif

After a clean, fresh install of the drivers (removed the old ones with DDU and got the recent ones from NVIDIA - 381.89), it was time to start up some benchmarks to look what i would be able to achieve from this new beast. For reference i ran through several benchmarks with my old card just the day before.

The first benchmark i tried was "Superposition", the new fancy looking one from UNIGINE, the guys who made the well known "Heaven" and "Valley" benchmarks. And i was immediatly amazed: Out of the box the card ran @2015 MHz, rocking about 46 FPS average on the "1080p Extreme" preset of the Superposition benchmark. That is 50% more fps than my GTX 1080 FTW could push. specool.gif


This was very exciting ... for a few moments. After about 30 seconds, the clocks went down to about 1900 MHz. Temps where at ~62°C by then, when the benchmark started to suddenly go into slow motion and studdering. When the temps hit 69°C, the benchmak crashed and the grafics driver was reset. Ok, this can happen, so i fired it up again. Now it already started with 65°C and only ~1900MHz, frames where down to ~40fps at start and started to drop furher already. Again studdering occured and when the GPU reached 69°C it crashed again wth.gif

To make sure it wasn't a problem with the relativly new benchmark, i tried Heaven, Valley and 3DMark11 ... all with the same result. Starting off cold, the card pushed some serious frames, but in a matter of about 1 minute, clocks dropped to ~1900, temps rose to ~70°C and the applications crashed. nerdsmiley.png

Opening my case, i could see the fans spinning up when the card got warmer, so it was not a total failure of the fans per se. Besides that, temperatures of 70°C shouldn't bother a Pascal GP102 chip at all...

At this point i started googleing if others might have similar problems. Was i missing something etc.? And i found quite alot of people on different forums reporting similar problems ... great. I then installed the Gigabyte AORUS tool that enables the OC mode and also offers monitoring of the card. Starting it up, it was in "Gaming" mode, which is supposed to be the standard mode for this card. It offers two other presets and a manual OC setting that lets you individualy set different parameters of the card. I didn't care about the manual mode and stuck to the offered presets, OC-mode beeing the one boasting the impressive clock speeds that Gigabyte is advertising this card with. For testers, i switched the presets back and forth and then set it to "gaming"(normal) and tried the benchmarks again.

Same result as before, the benchmark starts off impressive, but very quickly the temps rose and the frames dropped until the bench crashed at 69°C again. When i set the card into OC-mode, any 3D-apllication, be it benchmarks or games, crash immediatly mad.gif

The only mode that keeps the card from crashing is the "Silent" (underclocked) mode that has the Founders Edition clock speeds. Strangly though, the card goes up to 79°C in this mode, besides having considerably lower clock speeds. After reading some more in the Gigabyte forums, i was guided to a bios update for the card - the newest F4 Bios supposedly adresses stability & cooling issues.

I got the F4 bios update (quite comfortable .exe) and applied it my card, without much luck. Somehow i could run the Superposition benchmark once on "gaming" mode, but other benchmarks and games still crashed after 1-2 minutes. Another run of Superposition benchmark then didn't make it through again.

When trying different games in the "silent" mode with FE clocks, the card performed as or sometimes even slower than my 1080 FTW and with temps between 75-80°C, depending on the game. This is very odd in itself, because even at FE clocks, the TI should be faster than a slighty overclocked regular 1080 like the EVGA FTW. This is not quite what i was expecting from a 880€ card. sozo.gif

Then i decided to do what had to be done ... RMA the card. I had already idled a bit, chatting with friends and filling out the RMA form of my retailer, then powered down my PC and was about to pull out the card from my case, when i seriously burned the tips of my index-, middle- and ringfinger on the backplate. It still was boiling hot after about 15 minutes idling in windows with just discord and a webformular opened. The card was WAY beyond the 45°C the Gigabyte monitoring tool showed just before i powered down the PC.


There is something seriously wrong with the cards bios, tempsensors or the cooling presets in general and it seems to affect alot of AORUS 1080 TI & Xtreme users - but than again not all, since my friend doesn't have any of the issues i am having. QA seems to be on vacation @ Gigabyte ....

I am now back on my old 1080 FTW writing this. Since monday is a national holiday here, i'll send the card back in to my retailer on tuesday and just hope that i'll get a working replacement without this issues. But this ofcourse means another 1-2 weeks of waiting. If the 2nd card behaves like that as well and doesn't run the "OC"-Setting reasonably cool and 100% stable, i'll go for a refund and switch the manufacturer ...
Edited by DisposableHero7 - 4/30/17 at 3:28am
Black Adder
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII HERO Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 TI Xtreme G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-16GTZ 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-16GTZ Samsung NVMe 950Pro M.2 512 GB Samsung SATA 840 Pro RAID Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung HD103SJ Samsung HD103UJ LG BDDVDRW CH10LS28 Corsair H110 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64 LG Flatron IPS236 Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CoolerMaster HAF-X Rapoo VPRO V900 Laser Gaming Mouse CIG / RSI Anvil MousePad ASUS SupremeFX 2015 (OnBoard) 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 Antlion ModMic v4 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Adder
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII HERO Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 TI Xtreme G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-16GTZ 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-16GTZ Samsung NVMe 950Pro M.2 512 GB Samsung SATA 840 Pro RAID Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung HD103SJ Samsung HD103UJ LG BDDVDRW CH10LS28 Corsair H110 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64 LG Flatron IPS236 Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CoolerMaster HAF-X Rapoo VPRO V900 Laser Gaming Mouse CIG / RSI Anvil MousePad ASUS SupremeFX 2015 (OnBoard) 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 Antlion ModMic v4 
  hide details  
Reply
post #552 of 1048
It seems that only EKWB will make a water block for the Aorus - or someone knows another manufacturer?
I found Phanteks, but it seems that they provide only a water block for the Asus Strix and Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/phanteks-gtx-1080-ti-water-blocks-liquid-coolers,34274.html
post #553 of 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasboogieman View Post

Get a fan over those sinks. I saw decent fains with a stock Intel HSF alone.

Yeah this one had a fan on it. Perhaps the cooling to the back plate is less in my case. These cards have been varying a bit with the application of TIM and pads.

Hey Slackaveli, did you just change the paste job on the core? What about all the pads? I have an excess of 1mm fujipoly extreme pads that I could use just not sure how thick its needs to be....
post #554 of 1048
Uhm,

last night i wrote a pretty long text about my experience with the AORUS 1080ti Xtreme. At first it was all ok,
than i found some hickups and misspellings and edited it ... at least thats what i wanted to do ... after clicking
on "submit" again, my browser reloaded the page butr took quite long. Than i got a message with something
like post has been deleted ... don't recall it exactly since i was pretty pretty tired already ... I am not even ruling
out that i in my sleepines did something wrong/stupid.

It there any chance of reviving that post? cryingsmiley.gif

Edit:
Either it spooks, or a helpfull mod intervened thumb.gif
Edited by DisposableHero7 - 4/30/17 at 3:03am
Black Adder
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII HERO Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 TI Xtreme G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-16GTZ 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-16GTZ Samsung NVMe 950Pro M.2 512 GB Samsung SATA 840 Pro RAID Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung HD103SJ Samsung HD103UJ LG BDDVDRW CH10LS28 Corsair H110 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64 LG Flatron IPS236 Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CoolerMaster HAF-X Rapoo VPRO V900 Laser Gaming Mouse CIG / RSI Anvil MousePad ASUS SupremeFX 2015 (OnBoard) 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 Antlion ModMic v4 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Adder
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII HERO Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 TI Xtreme G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-16GTZ 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-16GTZ Samsung NVMe 950Pro M.2 512 GB Samsung SATA 840 Pro RAID Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung HD103SJ Samsung HD103UJ LG BDDVDRW CH10LS28 Corsair H110 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64 LG Flatron IPS236 Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CoolerMaster HAF-X Rapoo VPRO V900 Laser Gaming Mouse CIG / RSI Anvil MousePad ASUS SupremeFX 2015 (OnBoard) 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 Antlion ModMic v4 
  hide details  
Reply
post #555 of 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposableHero7 View Post

Heya folks,

here is my first impression of the AORUS GTX 1080 TI Xtreme.

I read alot about this card on several gaming/hardware sites and it seemd like a realy good performer. High clockrates and a good cooling solution, keeping the card at low temps and still silent at this. Finaly a friend of mine got the very same card and was realy happy with it, so the decision was made.

So i ordered mine 2 days ago via express delivery, got it today and was very stoked to try it out. Installation was easy, even though it is bigger than my already bulky EVGA GTX 1080 FTW. Luckily space is not an issue in my Coolermaster HAF-X case, lots of it in there rolleyes.gif

After a clean, fresh install of the drivers (removed the old ones with DDU and got the recent ones from NVIDIA - 381.89), it was time to start up some benchmarks to look what i would be able to achieve from this new beast. For reference i ran through several benchmarks with my old card just the day before.

The first benchmark i tried was "Superposition", the new fancy looking one from UNIGINE, the guys who made the well known "Heaven" and "Valley" benchmarks. And i was immediatly amazed: Out of the box the card ran @2015 MHz, rocking about 46 FPS average on the "1080p Extreme" preset of the Superposition benchmark. That is 50% more fps than my GTX 1080 FTW could push. specool.gif


This was very exciting ... for a few moments. After about 30 seconds, the clocks went down to about 1900 MHz. Temps where at ~62°C by then, when the benchmark started to suddenly go into slow motion and studdering. When the temps hit 69°C, the benchmak crashed and the grafics driver was reset. Ok, this can happen, so i fired it up again. Now it already started with 65°C and only ~1900MHz, frames where down to ~40fps at start and started to drop furher already. Again studdering occured and when the GPU reached 69°C it crashed again wth.gif

To make sure it wasn't a problem with the relativly new benchmark, i tried Heaven, Valley and 3DMark11 ... all with the same result. Starting off cold, the card pushed some serious frames, but in a matter of about 1 minute, clocks dropped to ~1900, temps rose to ~70°C and the applications crashed. nerdsmiley.png

Opening my case, i could see the fans spinning up when the card got warmer, so it was not a total failure of the fans per se. Besides that, temperatures of 70°C shouldn't bother a Pascal GP102 chip at all...

At this point i started googleing if others might have similar problems. Was i missing something etc.? And i found quite alot of people on different forums reporting similar problems ... great. I then installed the Gigabyte AORUS tool that enables the OC mode and also offers monitoring of the card. Starting it up, it was in "Gaming" mode, which is supposed to be the standard mode for this card. It offers two other presets and a manual OC setting that lets you individualy set different parameters of the card. I didn't care about the manual mode and stuck to the offered presets, OC-mode beeing the one boasting the impressive clock speeds that Gigabyte is advertising this card with. For testers, i switched the presets back and forth and then set it to "gaming"(normal) and tried the benchmarks again.

Same result as before, the benchmark starts off impressive, but very quickly the temps rose and the frames dropped until the bench crashed at 69°C again. When i set the card into OC-mode, any 3D-apllication, be it benchmarks or games, crash immediatly mad.gif

The only mode that keeps the card from crashing is the "Silent" (underclocked) mode that has the Founders Edition clock speeds. Strangly though, the card goes up to 79°C in this mode, besides having considerably lower clock speeds. After reading some more in the Gigabyte forums, i was guided to a bios update for the card - the newest F4 Bios supposedly adresses stability & cooling issues.

I got the F4 bios update (quite comfortable .exe) and applied it my card, without much luck. Somehow i could run the Superposition benchmark once on "gaming" mode, but other benchmarks and games still crashed after 1-2 minutes. Another run of Superposition benchmark then didn't make it through again.

When trying different games in the "silent" mode with FE clocks, the card performed as or sometimes even slower than my 1080 FTW and with temps between 75-80°C, depending on the game. This is very odd in itself, because even at FE clocks, the TI should be faster than a slighty overclocked regular 1080 like the EVGA FTW. This is not quite what i was expecting from a 880€ card. sozo.gif

Then i decided to do what had to be done ... RMA the card. I had already idled a bit, chatting with friends and filling out the RMA form of my retailer, then powered down my PC and was about to pull out the card from my case, when i seriously burned the tips of my index-, middle- and ringfinger on the backplate. It still was boiling hot after about 15 minutes idling in windows with just discord and a webformular opened. The card was WAY beyond the 45°C the Gigabyte monitoring tool showed just before i powered down the PC.


There is something seriously wrong with the cards bios, tempsensors or the cooling presets in general and it seems to affect alot of AORUS 1080 TI & Xtreme users - but than again not all, since my friend doesn't have any of the issues i am having. QA seems to be on vacation @ Gigabyte ....

I am now back on my old 1080 FTW writing this. Since monday is a national holiday here, i'll send the card back in to my retailer on tuesday and just hope that i'll get a working replacement without this issues. But this ofcourse means another 1-2 weeks of waiting. If the 2nd card behaves like that as well and doesn't run the "OC"-Setting reasonably cool and 100% stable, i'll go for a refund and switch the manufacturer ...


i get the same impression , that the card is a lot warmer than monitoring says , also after i put my fingers on it..i bet you can cook eggs on it..

anyway , i messed with the fan curve - at 65C i set 100% fan , and my temp got better by 2 degrees . also i have a fan that is blowing cold air in the back of the card , but i modified it to exhaust ( its not pushing cold air into the card but taking out warm air from it ) and it got 2 degrees better ..so from around 69 degress , now i am at 65 degrees , and i didnt even change the thermal paste yet...

also i tried putting 2x120cm fans on the side of the videocard , and also sitting on the backplate...(tried both variation intake and exhaust) also no change whatsoever..
bloodindark's rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k , OC : 4.5Ghz Asus Maximus Hero VIII Nvidia Gigabyte Aorus Extreme Gtx 1080ti , OC :... Hyperx 16gb (4x4 Kit) DDR4 2800Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2 x 2Tb Western Digital Black Corsair SSD 120Gb GT Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Windows 10 x64 , Creator's Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony tv 43xd8305b, 4K , HDR Razer Deathstalker , Illuminated Antec HCP-850 , 850W , Gold Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
bloodindark's rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k , OC : 4.5Ghz Asus Maximus Hero VIII Nvidia Gigabyte Aorus Extreme Gtx 1080ti , OC :... Hyperx 16gb (4x4 Kit) DDR4 2800Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2 x 2Tb Western Digital Black Corsair SSD 120Gb GT Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Windows 10 x64 , Creator's Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony tv 43xd8305b, 4K , HDR Razer Deathstalker , Illuminated Antec HCP-850 , 850W , Gold Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #556 of 1048
DisposableHero7, I filed an RMA request yesterday after having a similar situation. A buddy of mine just got the same card, he's idling at 25 C and full load at 55 C. No crashes, no stuttering, no issues. Meanwhile, I'm idling at 41 C with the fan @ 61% and my full load is 72 C @ 100% fan.

Something is up with these cards, let's hope the replacement will be better.
post #557 of 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by xentrox View Post

DisposableHero7, I filed an RMA request yesterday after having a similar situation. A buddy of mine just got the same card, he's idling at 25 C and full load at 55 C. No crashes, no stuttering, no issues. Meanwhile, I'm idling at 41 C with the fan @ 61% and my full load is 72 C @ 100% fan.

Something is up with these cards, let's hope the replacement will be better.

jesus christ , you cant compare temp if you dont have the exact same config , and mainly fans , and case !
bloodindark's rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k , OC : 4.5Ghz Asus Maximus Hero VIII Nvidia Gigabyte Aorus Extreme Gtx 1080ti , OC :... Hyperx 16gb (4x4 Kit) DDR4 2800Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2 x 2Tb Western Digital Black Corsair SSD 120Gb GT Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Windows 10 x64 , Creator's Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony tv 43xd8305b, 4K , HDR Razer Deathstalker , Illuminated Antec HCP-850 , 850W , Gold Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
bloodindark's rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k , OC : 4.5Ghz Asus Maximus Hero VIII Nvidia Gigabyte Aorus Extreme Gtx 1080ti , OC :... Hyperx 16gb (4x4 Kit) DDR4 2800Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2 x 2Tb Western Digital Black Corsair SSD 120Gb GT Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Windows 10 x64 , Creator's Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony tv 43xd8305b, 4K , HDR Razer Deathstalker , Illuminated Antec HCP-850 , 850W , Gold Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #558 of 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodindark View Post

jesus christ , you cant compare temp if you dont have the exact same config , and mainly fans , and case !

Actually, we both have the same case, same CPU cooler, same fans, same motherboard, same PSU, the only thing different between our builds is the RAM. But that is not why I RMAd. I RMA'd because this card is piping hot and starts stuttering once it gets up to 70 degrees. Not sure why Jesus Christ has to get involved here lol.
post #559 of 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by xentrox View Post

Actually, we both have the same case, same CPU cooler, same fans, same motherboard, same PSU, the only thing different between our builds is the RAM. But that is not why I RMAd. I RMA'd because this card is piping hot and starts stuttering once it gets up to 70 degrees. Not sure why Jesus Christ has to get involved here lol.

ok, maybe the thermal paste was applied incorrect? i got 31 idle , 65 load, which in my opinon is ok
bloodindark's rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k , OC : 4.5Ghz Asus Maximus Hero VIII Nvidia Gigabyte Aorus Extreme Gtx 1080ti , OC :... Hyperx 16gb (4x4 Kit) DDR4 2800Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2 x 2Tb Western Digital Black Corsair SSD 120Gb GT Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Windows 10 x64 , Creator's Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony tv 43xd8305b, 4K , HDR Razer Deathstalker , Illuminated Antec HCP-850 , 850W , Gold Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
bloodindark's rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k , OC : 4.5Ghz Asus Maximus Hero VIII Nvidia Gigabyte Aorus Extreme Gtx 1080ti , OC :... Hyperx 16gb (4x4 Kit) DDR4 2800Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2 x 2Tb Western Digital Black Corsair SSD 120Gb GT Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Windows 10 x64 , Creator's Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony tv 43xd8305b, 4K , HDR Razer Deathstalker , Illuminated Antec HCP-850 , 850W , Gold Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #560 of 1048
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xentrox View Post

DisposableHero7, I filed an RMA request yesterday after having a similar situation. A buddy of mine just got the same card, he's idling at 25 C and full load at 55 C. No crashes, no stuttering, no issues. Meanwhile, I'm idling at 41 C with the fan @ 61% and my full load is 72 C @ 100% fan.

Something is up with these cards, let's hope the replacement will be better.

Why don't you just change the thermal paste instead of going through a PITA RMA and risk getting another crappily done paste job? This is something you can fix yourself.Your factory paste job is probably crappy compared to your friend who has a good paste job.
Edited by RavageTheEarth - 4/30/17 at 9:22am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Thread