Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Thread - Page 7

post #61 of 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jootn2kx View Post

Can anyone confirm that the AORUS 1080ti NON extreme is voltage locked?

Even if you unlock the voltage slides in MSI afterburner it doesn't do anything to improve the OC

Nope. I can get 1.093V just fine with MSI Afterburner. In fact, mine crashes at 2050 unless I get that extra voltage.

What you are seeing is the Pascal architecture limitation, kinda similar to what the 980ti was like around 1500mhz.

This is the part where it comes down to Silicon lottery as to how many OC bins you get above 1950mhz. Trash tier chips will struggle at 2000mhz while god tier chips will happily do 2100mhz with no extra voltage.

Getting beyond 2100mhz requires hard-mod levels of extra voltage and maybe even sub-ambient cooling.
Edited by Dasboogieman - 4/12/17 at 10:08pm
post #62 of 1118
I was stress testing my new Aorus 1080 ti xtreme with Realbench and my computer rebooted within 30 minutes.

And with one game i am experiencing longer loading times, crashes.

I have a 3.5 year old 750w Gold XFX PSU. could the psu be faulty here?
Corsair Crystal
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
I7-6700k GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHZ Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200RPM Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB SSD Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer x34 Corsair K-70 Rapidfire  XFX P1-750B-BEFX 750W Corsair Crystal 570x 
MouseMouse PadAudio
CM MasterMouse Pro L Corsair MM800 AKG k712 
  hide details  
Reply
Corsair Crystal
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
I7-6700k GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHZ Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200RPM Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB SSD Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer x34 Corsair K-70 Rapidfire  XFX P1-750B-BEFX 750W Corsair Crystal 570x 
MouseMouse PadAudio
CM MasterMouse Pro L Corsair MM800 AKG k712 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 1118
Had very high expectations towards this card, but what I got is a total disaster.

My card is AOURUS 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition with latest bios F4_beta:

1. The only possible "overclock" option is increasing power limit to 150%. If you try to increase clocks or voltages on top of it, you will definitely get driver crash soon or later. Switching to OC mode in Aourus Engine utility will turn into almost instant crash in games. Although Gamer Mode works fine.

2. The card is easily hitting 79-80 C in most games (like Witcher 3 or Mass Effect Andromeda) with clocks going down to 1987 MHz. My chassis is Cooler Master HAF-X with 6 fans at ~50% speed and ambient temps are 22-23.5 C.

3. The card is occasionally hitting the power limit (150%) in some harsh game situations and downclocking even further, to like 1800 MHz. It occurs rarely at 2.5k resolution, but if the resolution is increased a bit via ingame scaling or DSR, the power limit suffers as well.

4. Loud coil whine starts above 200 fps, but you can already distinguish it above 90-100 fps.

5. So far the only advantage of this card is rather quiet fans even at 60-70% speed and 79-80 C. However, at high fps (like ingame menus, looking at map or inside inventory) fans will be overshadowed by the loud coil whine.

6. As shown in video provided above, this card has a low quality thermal grease and just by replacing it to liquid metal we can win like ~5 C (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0DWCx72DWw). Why Gigabyte is using such low level components in their top product?

I'm very disappointed by temps, clocks and the coil whine with this card.
post #64 of 1118
So I already posted this in the 1080Ti thread but figured I would repost it here since this is for our cards anyway smile.gif

Here is my Aorus 1080Ti Xtreme - Superposition @ 4k and Timespy runs. 2075 core that eventually goes down to 2050 due to heat and 6014 for memory. 6850k @ 4.2GHz.



Been using these clocks to play witcher 3 for the past 4 or 5 days with like 4+ hours sessions. Pretty happy overall.
post #65 of 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReFFrs View Post

Had very high expectations towards this card, but what I got is a total disaster.

My card is AOURUS 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition with latest bios F4_beta:

1. The only possible "overclock" option is increasing power limit to 150%. If you try to increase clocks or voltages on top of it, you will definitely get driver crash soon or later. Switching to OC mode in Aourus Engine utility will turn into almost instant crash in games. Although Gamer Mode works fine.

2. The card is easily hitting 79-80 C in most games (like Witcher 3 or Mass Effect Andromeda) with clocks going down to 1987 MHz. My chassis is Cooler Master HAF-X with 6 fans at ~50% speed and ambient temps are 22-23.5 C.

3. The card is occasionally hitting the power limit (150%) in some harsh game situations and downclocking even further, to like 1800 MHz. It occurs rarely at 2.5k resolution, but if the resolution is increased a bit via ingame scaling or DSR, the power limit suffers as well.

4. Loud coil whine starts above 200 fps, but you can already distinguish it above 90-100 fps.

5. So far the only advantage of this card is rather quiet fans even at 60-70% speed and 79-80 C. However, at high fps (like ingame menus, looking at map or inside inventory) fans will be overshadowed by the loud coil whine.

6. As shown in video provided above, this card has a low quality thermal grease and just by replacing it to liquid metal we can win like ~5 C (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0DWCx72DWw). Why Gigabyte is using such low level components in their top product?

I'm very disappointed by temps, clocks and the coil whine with this card.

Might want to think about RMA on that card. Seems like something is wrong with it based on other peoples results with it. What are the rest of your PC Specs?
post #66 of 1118
Is there a test I can run to see if my psu is giving my gpu enough power? The Power led incidator have not flashed yet that i have seen. I have the XFX P1-750B-BEFX. It should be well more than enough power for a single aorus xtreme. But the PSU is 3.5 years old.

With the crash on Realbench and longer loading times and crashes on a couple of my games, something is not right.
Edited by KJZ87 - 4/13/17 at 4:14am
Corsair Crystal
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
I7-6700k GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHZ Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200RPM Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB SSD Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer x34 Corsair K-70 Rapidfire  XFX P1-750B-BEFX 750W Corsair Crystal 570x 
MouseMouse PadAudio
CM MasterMouse Pro L Corsair MM800 AKG k712 
  hide details  
Reply
Corsair Crystal
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
I7-6700k GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHZ Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200RPM Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB SSD Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer x34 Corsair K-70 Rapidfire  XFX P1-750B-BEFX 750W Corsair Crystal 570x 
MouseMouse PadAudio
CM MasterMouse Pro L Corsair MM800 AKG k712 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReFFrs View Post

Had very high expectations towards this card, but what I got is a total disaster.

My card is AOURUS 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition with latest bios F4_beta:

1. The only possible "overclock" option is increasing power limit to 150%. If you try to increase clocks or voltages on top of it, you will definitely get driver crash soon or later. Switching to OC mode in Aourus Engine utility will turn into almost instant crash in games. Although Gamer Mode works fine.

2. The card is easily hitting 79-80 C in most games (like Witcher 3 or Mass Effect Andromeda) with clocks going down to 1987 MHz. My chassis is Cooler Master HAF-X with 6 fans at ~50% speed and ambient temps are 22-23.5 C.

3. The card is occasionally hitting the power limit (150%) in some harsh game situations and downclocking even further, to like 1800 MHz. It occurs rarely at 2.5k resolution, but if the resolution is increased a bit via ingame scaling or DSR, the power limit suffers as well.

4. Loud coil whine starts above 200 fps, but you can already distinguish it above 90-100 fps.

5. So far the only advantage of this card is rather quiet fans even at 60-70% speed and 79-80 C. However, at high fps (like ingame menus, looking at map or inside inventory) fans will be overshadowed by the loud coil whine.

6. As shown in video provided above, this card has a low quality thermal grease and just by replacing it to liquid metal we can win like ~5 C (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0DWCx72DWw). Why Gigabyte is using such low level components in their top product?

I'm very disappointed by temps, clocks and the coil whine with this card.

1. This is an architectural issue, see my earlier post, not all Pascal cards will do 2000+mhz. There are a very small subset (arguably as rare as those that can do 2100mhz) that will refuse to do 2000mhz and will crash upon tweaking. This is silicon lottery.

2. Do a custom fan profile, if that doesn't work then repaste. If that further doesn't work then RMA the card.

3+5. This card's power limit is actually its biggest advantage, it saves you from having to do a shunt mod to bypass the Power limit on other cards. There is absolutely no point, to have the best cooling only to be power gated.

4. 99% of cards will have coil whine at 200fps lol. That is simply the nature of how inductors work. Coil whine is not even indicative of the quality of the inductors themselves. RMA the card because it seems like you got a crap chip to begin with, but don't expect zero coil whine, even from other brands. If you really want to deal with coil whine, just do the hot-glue mod or pad the top with a thermal pad to contact the cooler, whatever that can apply pressure to the inductors to minimize their vibrations (which causes the whine noise)

6. Just replace with kryo or conductonaut
post #68 of 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnac7 View Post

What are the rest of your PC Specs?

Does it really matter? I have a 5820k 4.5 Ghz, Asus Rampage V Extreme MB with PCIE 3.0 and 1000W PSU, so definitely should be enough for this card.
post #69 of 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReFFrs View Post

Does it really matter? I have a 5820k 4.5 Ghz, Asus Rampage V Extreme MB with PCIE 3.0 and 1000W PSU, so definitely should be enough for this card.

Well now that you posted your specs to us it doesn't matter, but for all we knew you coulda had a 400w psu :/

I agree with pretty much everything dasboogieman said.

What are your core clocks prior to it downclocking in games?
post #70 of 1118
How did I miss this thread! Sup, fellaz!

I'm in. looks like I have some work to do in here. You guys are all over the place!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajresendez View Post

Yeah I tried manually getting the advertised clocks and still nothing.
were you adding volts? DON'T. These dont like that. My non extreme Aorus clocks to 2088, settles in at 2076. This is +90 core, no volts, a couple curve tweaks (notablly running 1.043v at +77). EZ Peasy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasboogieman View Post

Nope. I can get 1.093V just fine with MSI Afterburner. In fact, mine crashes at 2050 unless I get that extra voltage.

What you are seeing is the Pascal architecture limitation, kinda similar to what the 980ti was like around 1500mhz.

This is the part where it comes down to Silicon lottery as to how many OC bins you get above 1950mhz. Trash tier chips will struggle at 2000mhz while god tier chips will happily do 2100mhz with no extra voltage.

Getting beyond 2100mhz requires hard-mod levels of extra voltage and maybe even sub-ambient cooling.
COMPLETELY DISAGREE about voltages. It's just a temp limitation/silicon limitation imo. I hit 2100 stock volts, as long as I'm under 40c. That's impossible with stock cooler, but after kyro re-pasting i CAN keep it under 50c in benches and run it at 2088/2076 downclocks, even in SuPo 4k. And I don't even have The Extreme version.
EVA3.1
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Broadwell i7-5775c MSI Z97m gaming Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Adata ssd Asetek 240mm Win10 Samsung 8 series suhdtv  
Mouse
Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
EVA3.1
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Broadwell i7-5775c MSI Z97m gaming Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Adata ssd Asetek 240mm Win10 Samsung 8 series suhdtv  
Mouse
Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Thread