Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [EuroGamer] Inside the next Xbox: Project Scorpio tech revealed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[EuroGamer] Inside the next Xbox: Project Scorpio tech revealed - Page 21

post #201 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantmagnet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

Kind of disappointing that they went with optimized Jaguar cores instead of Ryzen cores, performance seems decent enough though. Price is going to be what makes or breaks this console.


Ryzen just came out and it still was rushed because of all the extra work they had to do to fix issues compared to past CPU launches. It simply was too late to consider this on something that had to be finalized months ago.

Anothing point to consider might be how large the cores themselves are. Processor cost is counted in terms of area on the die, if AMD did a bunch of work shrinking the Jaguar cores it may still be close to the same price to performance ratio as Ryzen, in which case using Ryzen would just mean having less cores and similar total computational performance.
In terms of single thread performace, Ryzen would still have a big advantage, and while it's doubtful that software commonly saturates all eight threads on the Jaguar cores, Sony and Microsoft might just be comitting to "lots of cores" for the sake of future compatibility.
Given that silicon processor single thread performance is probably never going to see any more big leaps ever again, they probably want the console ecosystem to approach that theoretical maximum as slowly as possible.
post #202 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post

This debate is old and tired.

As I've said almost a million times. It's not necessarily the hardware that makes the difference between PC and console. It's the software.

I build my PCs to play DCS A-10/Su25/Blackshark, Steel Beasts Pro PE, Total War, X-Plane/Flight Sim X, Civilization, Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Falcon BMS, Combat Mission, Supreme Commander, etc.

I buy consoles to play Zelda, Madden, Mario, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Ninja Gaiden, etc. Platformers, sports, fighting and action/adventure type games.

The two are completely different and in my mind, it's like comparing apples and hand grenades. One cannot replace the other; for me at least.


Does matter. The context was the power of the hardware.

What you interpret it to be is irrelevant compared to facts.
post #203 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetgamer120 View Post

Does matter. The context was the power of the hardware.

What you interpret it to be is irrelevant compared to facts.

Ok.....I say what you say is irrelevant....so there!!!!

Better?
Red Obsidian
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K Asus Maximus VI Extreme Galaxy GTX 680 2GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 4x8 32GB DDR3 CMY3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD  Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Koolance CPU-370 Koolance PMP-450 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance HX-CU1320V 4x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU1020V 3x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU720V 2x120 Copper Radiator Koolance CTR-CD1224 12/24V Pump and Fan Controller 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair AF120 High Performance Fans Windows 7 x64 Professional Dell S2409W Seasonic Platinum-1000  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Logitech G700 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  Logitech Z5500 THX 5.1 Surround System 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Obsidian
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770K Asus Maximus VI Extreme Galaxy GTX 680 2GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 4x8 32GB DDR3 CMY3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD  Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB Koolance CPU-370 Koolance PMP-450 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Koolance HX-CU1320V 4x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU1020V 3x120 Copper Radiator Koolance HX-CU720V 2x120 Copper Radiator Koolance CTR-CD1224 12/24V Pump and Fan Controller 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair AF120 High Performance Fans Windows 7 x64 Professional Dell S2409W Seasonic Platinum-1000  
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 900D Logitech G700 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD  Logitech Z5500 THX 5.1 Surround System 
  hide details  
Reply
post #204 of 543
dont forget death stranding
Aurora B
(18 photos)
  
Reply
Aurora B
(18 photos)
  
Reply
post #205 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit9206 View Post


Lol, and remind me again how much the 8800GTX cost when it released? Having one of them back in 2006 was like having a Titan XP today and almost nobody had them back then. And even then Crysis was still nearly unplayable at even lowered settings. It would be another couple of years before you could even think about maxing the game out at anything more than 1366 x 768. There is a reason why "But can it run Crysis" became a meme. And remember that the 360 came out a full two years before Crysis did which means it was developed a year or more before that even. Fact is that on release both the 360 and PS3 were more powerful gaming systems than any PC at the time, the last time that that has happened. Of course PC technology radically improved over the next 5 years after the 360 launched (as did PC hardware pricing) so we are unlikely to ever again see something like a $400 console offering more gaming performance than a PC that can be spec'd up to $5k or even more these days.
post #206 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Lol, and remind me again how much the 8800GTX cost when it released? Having one of them back in 2006 was like having a Titan XP today and almost nobody had them back then. And even then Crysis was still nearly unplayable at even lowered settings. It would be another couple of years before you could even think about maxing the game out at anything more than 1366 x 768. There is a reason why "But can it run Crysis" became a meme. And remember that the 360 came out a full two years before Crysis did which means it was developed a year or more before that even. Fact is that on release both the 360 and PS3 were more powerful gaming systems than any PC at the time, the last time that that has happened. Of course PC technology radically improved over the next 5 years after the 360 launched (as did PC hardware pricing) so we are unlikely to ever again see something like a $400 console offering more gaming performance than a PC that can be spec'd up to $5k or even more these days.

8800 GTX was more significant than any Titan frankly speaking. $650 at 2016 ~ $760 in 2013 so no not Titan price but close to 780 Ti $700 price.
Ishimura
(20 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX 3x GentleTyphoon AP-15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(20 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX 3x GentleTyphoon AP-15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large Audioengine D1 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Logitech Z-2300 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #207 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Lol, and remind me again how much the 8800GTX cost when it released? Having one of them back in 2006 was like having a Titan XP today and almost nobody had them back then. And even then Crysis was still nearly unplayable at even lowered settings. It would be another couple of years before you could even think about maxing the game out at anything more than 1366 x 768. There is a reason why "But can it run Crysis" became a meme. And remember that the 360 came out a full two years before Crysis did which means it was developed a year or more before that even. Fact is that on release both the 360 and PS3 were more powerful gaming systems than any PC at the time, the last time that that has happened. Of course PC technology radically improved over the next 5 years after the 360 launched (as did PC hardware pricing) so we are unlikely to ever again see something like a $400 console offering more gaming performance than a PC that can be spec'd up to $5k or even more these days.

Having one in 2005 was impossible because it did not exist.
post #208 of 543
The Ultra was the Titan of its day. And even it could barely run Crysis at 1080p maxed when it launched. Not fair to compare it to the 360 which came out years before and which cost half as much as an entire console as just the video card.
post #209 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

The Ultra was the Titan of its day. And even it could barely run Crysis at 1080p maxed when it launched. Not fair to compare it to the 360 which came out years before and which cost half as much as an entire console as just the video card.

The PC Master Race gets hurt when a console is faster. So by any means otherwise has to be proven.
post #210 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbravo33 View Post

dont forget death stranding

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojimas-ps4-console-exclusive-will-come-to-pc/1100-6433155/

It's a timed exclusive.

Unfortunately it might take a long time to come to Xbox though, depending on the way they designed the game.
Technically the CPU in the Xbox One is still better than the base PS4, so chances are all they would need to do is keep cutting visual quality and it would work on the Xbox One. It wouldn't necessarily take a long time to port over, and this generation we have the advantage of both systems being incredibly similar, the only real problem would be if Kojima objects to seeing his game presented that way.
At worst they would wait until Microsft drops the Xbox One compatibility requirement, but that'll probably be 2020 or later unless the Xbox One userbase unanimously abandons their Xbox One for Scorpio.
However distant it may be, you can bet Death Stranding will be coming to Xbox at some point in the future.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [EuroGamer] Inside the next Xbox: Project Scorpio tech revealed