There is an uneducated way to answer your question but there is also an educated way to answer your question. This may be a long post, I appologize but I also wanted to share my thoughts on another "should I upgrade" question.
The best way to tackle such a question of yours is to answer a few question
then ... using the answers provided, you can make your decision. Don't worry, i have seen many that ask if they should upgrade, and I try to lead you to the right choice.
Ask your self :
- What are your expectations from your PC?
- What resolution do you game on and what is the refresh rate of your monitor?
- How often do you game?
- What games do you play?
- What would satisfy you when it comes to PC performance?
- Are you satisfied with 60 FPS or do you require more? such as 120+ 140+ 160+ etc etc...
- Do you happen to be able to afford the upgrade you are seeking?
- What is your average Vram usage when playing your games? (do you require more vram etc)
and many more...
The answers to the questions above would literally be the answer to your "Should I upgrade" question.
If you seem to demand or require higher performance that will make you satisfied at your games, then an upgrade would be what you want to do.
I'll give you an example... I personally game at 1080p (right now, planning to upgrade), I have a 144hz monitor thus I require my games to run at 100+ FPS as to be able to get the best gaming experience. I am extremely picky when it comes to game performance, high refresh rates, high frame rates and compatibility etc.. I had a GTX 980 Ti, it was a great card and i loved it. I didn't want to sell it but for a number of games I play, I just wanted... "more"... when the 1080 Ti was released, and I saw it affordable, I went ahead and sold my 980 Ti and purchased myself a 1080 Ti. I do not regret the upgrade infact I recommend the upgrade for those that are under the same circumstances as me. It is very important to need higher frames at higher refresh rates and lower latency to make such an upgrade. I hope this was helpful, Good luck!