Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Two copies of Win10?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Two copies of Win10?

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 
As I mentioned in another thread, I am having an issue with my two-touchscreen setup and Windows 10 Creators Update. This issue did not exist under Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.

I wonder if I can dual-boot Win10AE and Win10CU? I have a spare SSD and Win10 CU is currently installed on my Samsung 960 Evo NVMe drive. Do I just unplug everything including the 960 Evo, plug in my spare SSD (Crucial M4), and install a whole new copy of Win10AE in the M4? I've never had a dual-boot setup before. I'd like to minimize messing with my Win10 CU setup if I can so that if a solution arises to my issue, I can just wipe the M4 and revert to a single-boot setup. I'd also like to keep the Win10 CU setup to test any "solution" to the issue but have the Win10 AE setup to continue using my sim pit as before.

I have other drives in my system and have games and programs installed on those drives. If I install them again on the M4 and just install to the same locations they are now, would these games/programs work regardless of whether I use the 960 or M4?

Any suggestions or advice appreciated! Thanks!
post #2 of 3
Don't unplug anything.

Just do the install and Windows will automatically set up dual booting.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 3
Thread Starter 
Thanks! However, I'm running into a few more issues with Win10CU, the most annoying of which is that my main screens lose their picture on startup. This would be fixed 80% of the time by a hard reset, the other 20% would be the problem happening again. This is weird as my Gigabyte "splash screen" does appear on my main screen during boot up, but then the main screens just lose input once Win10CU starts up. As my touchscreens do not have a taskbar, I'm forced to reset using my PC case's power button.

Too much of a hassle for me. I'll go back to Win10AE and delay upgrading to CU for as long as I can. I usually wipe my OS drive every 12-18 months so hopefully it'll be better next year.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Two copies of Win10?