Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Thinking of Creating "Massive" Storage Server
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking of Creating "Massive" Storage Server - Page 4

post #31 of 39
This is what the hard drive screen in Unraid can look like. Puffin assuming that is a different skin?

My System
(21 items)
 
Server/HTPC
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 Asus m5a99fx pro EVGA 660ti  Gskill 8GB F3-1600C9-8GXM x2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GB x2 OCZ Agility 3 Sasmsung 840 EVO Western Digital Caviar Blue 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 500gb Asus DRW-24B1ST Asus BC-12B1ST cool master hyper 212 evo 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Pro x64 Arch  Asus 23" VH238 Asus 23" VH238H 
PowerCase
Corsair CX600M Fractal Design Define R5  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i3 6100 Asus Z170M-Plus something 16gb DDR4 Western Digital 500GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 2TB Western Digital Red 3TB HGST Deskter 4TB Unraid 6.x 
OSPowerCase
Ubuntu Server - VM Corsair CX430  Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(21 items)
 
Server/HTPC
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 Asus m5a99fx pro EVGA 660ti  Gskill 8GB F3-1600C9-8GXM x2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GB x2 OCZ Agility 3 Sasmsung 840 EVO Western Digital Caviar Blue 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 500gb Asus DRW-24B1ST Asus BC-12B1ST cool master hyper 212 evo 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Pro x64 Arch  Asus 23" VH238 Asus 23" VH238H 
PowerCase
Corsair CX600M Fractal Design Define R5  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i3 6100 Asus Z170M-Plus something 16gb DDR4 Western Digital 500GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 2TB Western Digital Red 3TB HGST Deskter 4TB Unraid 6.x 
OSPowerCase
Ubuntu Server - VM Corsair CX430  Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cones View Post

This is what the hard drive screen in Unraid can look like. Puffin assuming that is a different skin?


Blank skin with tabbed view enabled.
post #33 of 39
I would personally stay away from ZFS. the reason for this is becuase if you start the ZFS cluster with say 4 disks your stuck with a mximum of 4 disks. you can increase the RAID volume size by replacing the disks with larger ones one at a time but again you will only ever be stuck with the number of disks you started with.

a dedicated RAID controller with battery is by far the best option to go with.

the battery is there just in case of power loss so that it can hold the data in memory and commit the data once power has been restored. Just make sure that the RAID controller has sufficient RAM (512MB or 1GB is recommended)

This is how i build servers at work.

unRAID is good i personally use FreeNAS, even in my vmware LAB at work.

You can use it to do backups and run VM's or vmware with iSCSI. the documentation is excellent and the application is feature rich.

You can start on it with the bare minimum of services and build it to be an enterprise solution.
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogamer999 View Post

I would personally stay away from ZFS. the reason for this is becuase if you start the ZFS cluster with say 4 disks your stuck with a mximum of 4 disks. you can increase the RAID volume size by replacing the disks with larger ones one at a time but again you will only ever be stuck with the number of disks you started with.

a dedicated RAID controller with battery is by far the best option to go with.

the battery is there just in case of power loss so that it can hold the data in memory and commit the data once power has been restored. Just make sure that the RAID controller has sufficient RAM (512MB or 1GB is recommended)

This is how i build servers at work.

unRAID is good i personally use FreeNAS, even in my vmware LAB at work.

You can use it to do backups and run VM's or vmware with iSCSI. the documentation is excellent and the application is feature rich.

You can start on it with the bare minimum of services and build it to be an enterprise solution.

I'm confused by your post. You say to stay away from ZFS in the first sentence and then go onto recommend FreeNAS which is exactly that. You then go on to say a dedicated hardware RAID controller is the best option, but in recommending UnRAID and FreeNAS (both of which require disk pass through aka IT mode) you are recommending against that notion.

As to your statement about being stuck with the size of the volume you originally setup, that is only partially correct. Yes, that particular vdev can not increase in disk size (though the size of the disks can all be upgraded at once), you can create additional vdevs to the same zfs pool to increase the overall storage capacity.

Your post is kind of all of the place and full of contradictions. Not trying to call you out but it's definitely going to be confusing to others.
Edited by PuffinMyLye - 4/26/17 at 9:22am
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

I'm confused by your post. You say to stay away from ZFS in the first sentence and then go onto recommend FreeNAS which is exactly that. You then go on to say a dedicated hardware RAID controller is the best option, but in recommending UnRAID and FreeNAS (both of which require disk pass through aka IT mode) you are recommending against that notion.

As to your statement about being stuck with the size of the volume you originally setup, that is only partially correct. Yes, that particular vdev can not increase in disk size (though the size of the disks can all be upgraded at once), you can create additional vdevs to the same zfs pool to increase the overall storage capacity.

Your post is kind of all of the place and full of contradictions. Not trying to call you out but it's definitely going to be confusing to others.

You can create a logical volume via the raid controller which will handle all the clever stuff with speed and redundancy. Import the volume into freeNAS and still be able to split the volume into different partitions.
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogamer999 View Post

You can create a logical volume via the raid controller which will handle all the clever stuff with speed and redundancy. Import the volume into freeNAS and still be able to split the volume into different partitions.

That goes completely against everything that ZFS stands for. Quoted directly off the FreeNAS site:
Quote:
ZFS wants direct control of the underlying storage that it is putting your data on. Nothing will make ZFS more unstable than something manipulating bits underneath ZFS. Therefore, connecting your drives to an HBA or directly to the ports on the motherboard is preferable to using a RAID controller; fortunately, HBAs are cheaper than RAID controllers to boot! If you must use a RAID controller, disable all write caching on it and disable all consistency checks. If the RAID controller has a passthrough or JBOD mode, use it. RAID controllers will complicate disk replacement and improperly configuring them can jeopardize the integrity of your volume (Using the write cache on a RAID controller is an almost sure-fire way to cause data loss with ZFS, to the tune of losing the entire pool).
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogamer999 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

I'm confused by your post. You say to stay away from ZFS in the first sentence and then go onto recommend FreeNAS which is exactly that. You then go on to say a dedicated hardware RAID controller is the best option, but in recommending UnRAID and FreeNAS (both of which require disk pass through aka IT mode) you are recommending against that notion.

As to your statement about being stuck with the size of the volume you originally setup, that is only partially correct. Yes, that particular vdev can not increase in disk size (though the size of the disks can all be upgraded at once), you can create additional vdevs to the same zfs pool to increase the overall storage capacity.

Your post is kind of all of the place and full of contradictions. Not trying to call you out but it's definitely going to be confusing to others.

You can create a logical volume via the raid controller which will handle all the clever stuff with speed and redundancy. Import the volume into freeNAS and still be able to split the volume into different partitions.

I suggest you read a little more on what FreeNAS does as it's quite clear you don't understand it. FreeNAS only works well if the RAID card is in HBA mode and only acts as a SATA/SAS passthrough card, allowing FreeNAS to manage the array. Even if the disks are in a JBOD configuration it will cause lots of problems.

The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 39
You are taking away all the advantages that ZFS and freenas provide.
White Tiger
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1  G skill 2133 DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 Crucial MX100 ek supremacy evo full nickel  black ice GTS 480 
PowerCaseAudio
EVGA 1000 P2 Thermaltake Core X9 Snow edition Simple audio listen 
  hide details  
Reply
White Tiger
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1  G skill 2133 DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 Crucial MX100 ek supremacy evo full nickel  black ice GTS 480 
PowerCaseAudio
EVGA 1000 P2 Thermaltake Core X9 Snow edition Simple audio listen 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 39

Not everyone needs or likes ZFS, I certainly do not.

The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Thinking of Creating "Massive" Storage Server