Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Is intel i7 5960x still good for gaming?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is intel i7 5960x still good for gaming? - Page 2

post #11 of 61
Thread Starter 
Wow thanks guys! Really what I needed to hear.

Only reason I asked is because there were several people claiming they changed their 5960x to 7700k and gained a slight boost in fps in gaming.

I'm actually using a corsair hydro H100i for my CPU. I replaced the stock fans with the quiet edition (AF120), because the stock fans were very noisy! I hate using their program because it feels buggy. (Also the quiet edition is a 3 pin, so I can't actually increase their rpm from corsair program unless I get a 4 pin connector fans).

When encoding my vids, my CPU's temperature would reach a max of 77°C (but a constant around 70 to 75). And that's on the stock clocks. That's why I never considered to overclock it due to high temp frown.gif.

Is this normal? Also is there a better water cooler than what i'm using or perhaps change my quiet edition fans. Need something less noisy.

Thanks again guys!
post #12 of 61
5960x is still good, although any Haswell CPU at 3.3ghz is no match for a 7700k at 5ghz+ in dx11 singlethread.
post #13 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashus86 View Post

Wow thanks guys! Really what I needed to hear.

Only reason I asked is because there were several people claiming they changed their 5960x to 7700k and gained a slight boost in fps in gaming.

I'm actually using a corsair hydro H100i for my CPU. I replaced the stock fans with the quiet edition (AF120), because the stock fans were very noisy! I hate using their program because it feels buggy. (Also the quiet edition is a 3 pin, so I can't actually increase their rpm from corsair program unless I get a 4 pin connector fans).

When encoding my vids, my CPU's temperature would reach a max of 77°C (but a constant around 70 to 75). And that's on the stock clocks. That's why I never considered to overclock it due to high temp frown.gif.

Is this normal? Also is there a better water cooler than what i'm using or perhaps change my quiet edition fans. Need something less noisy.

Thanks again guys!

Get a CPU cooler with copper block and copper radiator.

Something like EK Predator / Swiftech H220X , X2 , and X2 Prestige / Alphacool Eisbaer / Be Quiet Silent Loop / Fractal Design Kelvin.

Because your cooler uses a copper block and aluminum radiator it is not better than a high end air cooler & you expose yourself to risk of galvanic corrosion.



http://thermalbench.com/2016/06/27/alphacool-eisbaer-240-cpu-cooler/6/

also



http://www.anandtech.com/show/10524/the-alphacool-eisbaer-240-cpu-aio-liquid-cooler-review/5

As far as i7-6950X to i7-7700K I wouldn't do it unless you run a 120+FPS monitor without Gsync or aren't hitting minimum frame rates that are decent for you.
Edited by AlphaC - 4/17/17 at 7:23pm
Workstation stuff
(407 photos)
SpecViewperf 12.0.1
(117 photos)
PGA 1331
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Zen SR7 octocore (Ryzen 7 1700) Overclockable AM4 motherboard X370 To be determined , AMD Vega? 2x8GB DDR4 low-profile or heatsink-less 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro / 960 Evo / 960 Pro 256GB or 51... Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD Storage Black or black+white Twin tower air cooler or s... EK Vardar F2-140 140mm, Phanteks PH-F140SP 140m... 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 (included with case) Win 10 Pro 64 bit 4K monitor with Freesync EVGA Supernova G3/P2 750W or 850W 
Case
Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation stuff
(407 photos)
SpecViewperf 12.0.1
(117 photos)
PGA 1331
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Zen SR7 octocore (Ryzen 7 1700) Overclockable AM4 motherboard X370 To be determined , AMD Vega? 2x8GB DDR4 low-profile or heatsink-less 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 Pro / 960 Evo / 960 Pro 256GB or 51... Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD Storage Black or black+white Twin tower air cooler or s... EK Vardar F2-140 140mm, Phanteks PH-F140SP 140m... 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 (included with case) Win 10 Pro 64 bit 4K monitor with Freesync EVGA Supernova G3/P2 750W or 850W 
Case
Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 61
I had a 2600k@4.8-5Ghz and upgraded to a 6800k with 32gigs of ddr 3200 and i will say i love it my games seem to run much smoother now higher max fps and min fps then what i got with my 2600k@5ghz.
SABERWOLF
(18 items)
 
XEON-WOLF
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6800K MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hydro Copper G.SKILL TridentZ Series 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung EVO 850 500 EK-SBAY Dual DDC 3.2 PWM Serial Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper Radiator 360 Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport Black Car... 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-CoolStream RAD XTC 420 koolance 380i Windows 10 Pro ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
SeaSonic M12D SS-850 850W  Thermaltake core x71 CM Storm Sentinel Advance II Corsair Void 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5675@4400 1.344 ASUS P6X58D-E XfX RX480 RS F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI 6-7-6-21 1T 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ST31000340AS WDC WD7500AAKS-00RBA0 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 ihas 624-A SilverStone Heligon HE01 windows 10 64 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 42inch lcd tv CORSAIR CMPSU-950TX Modded Rocketfish 
  hide details  
Reply
SABERWOLF
(18 items)
 
XEON-WOLF
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6800K MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hydro Copper G.SKILL TridentZ Series 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung EVO 850 500 EK-SBAY Dual DDC 3.2 PWM Serial Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper Radiator 360 Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport Black Car... 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-CoolStream RAD XTC 420 koolance 380i Windows 10 Pro ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
SeaSonic M12D SS-850 850W  Thermaltake core x71 CM Storm Sentinel Advance II Corsair Void 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5675@4400 1.344 ASUS P6X58D-E XfX RX480 RS F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI 6-7-6-21 1T 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ST31000340AS WDC WD7500AAKS-00RBA0 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 ihas 624-A SilverStone Heligon HE01 windows 10 64 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 42inch lcd tv CORSAIR CMPSU-950TX Modded Rocketfish 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

Get a CPU cooler with copper block and copper radiator.

Something like EK Predator / Swiftech H220X , X2 , and X2 Prestige / Alphacool Eisbaer / Be Quiet Silent Loop / Fractal Design Kelvin.

Because your cooler uses a copper block and aluminum radiator it is not better than a high end air cooler & you expose yourself to risk of galvanic corrosion.



http://thermalbench.com/2016/06/27/alphacool-eisbaer-240-cpu-cooler/6/

also



http://www.anandtech.com/show/10524/the-alphacool-eisbaer-240-cpu-aio-liquid-cooler-review/5

As far as i7-6950X to i7-7700K I wouldn't do it unless you run a 120+FPS monitor without Gsync or aren't hitting minimum frame rates that are decent for you.

Wow, thanks! I did not know about those coolers and how mine would be less useful. I honestly bought it because at that time, most of the youtubers doing build advice were using it. But I always suspected there was something wrong with mine is its temperature would reach higher than the rest (although in gaming, it hovers around 55°C)

I'm actually using 5960x not 6950x. But I get your point. Thank you!
post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal3Wolf View Post

I had a 2600k@4.8-5Ghz and upgraded to a 6800k with 32gigs of ddr 3200 and i will say i love it my games seem to run much smoother now higher max fps and min fps then what i got with my 2600k@5ghz.
None of this is actually pertinent to the discussion.

I personally would ditch lazy liquid cooling. If you want to go liquid, go with a custom loop. If you think a custom loop is too expensive, stop spending $1000 on a CPU. I suggest getting a dual tower air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15s or Phanteks PH-TC14PE if you don't want to put in the effort of constructing a custom loop.
post #17 of 61
Do a little experimenting with overclocking. See how much your temperatures really change. Who knows you might be able to get to 4.0ghz with the same voltages it's using when it turbo's to 3.5ghz.
Spit in God's Eye
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x @ 4.26 ghz core / 3.53 ghz uncore - 1.... AsRock X99 Extreme3 EVGA GTX980 Ti 16gb (4x4gb) Crucial DDR4 2133 CL15  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
A-Data SP600 256gb SSD (C:) Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (D:) Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive (E:) LITE-ON 24x DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110 Win 10 x64 HP 2511x ( 25" 1080p ) AZIO L70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Antec 300 (Modded) Logitech M100 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Spit in God's Eye
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5960x @ 4.26 ghz core / 3.53 ghz uncore - 1.... AsRock X99 Extreme3 EVGA GTX980 Ti 16gb (4x4gb) Crucial DDR4 2133 CL15  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
A-Data SP600 256gb SSD (C:) Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (D:) Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive (E:) LITE-ON 24x DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110 Win 10 x64 HP 2511x ( 25" 1080p ) AZIO L70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Antec 300 (Modded) Logitech M100 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 61
Reaching mid 70s is a bit high at stock clocks with an H100i . My 5820K @ stock reaches around 55C while rendering (running x264 stability test and at least 2 copies in a row) and that with a Seidon 120XL and that cooler has only a 120mm radiator + fans unlike the 280mm Corsair H100i.
@ 4.4 GHz 1.25V I get around 75-80 C while rendering and that in summer. I don't think 2 extra cores will magically add +20 C.
Edited by HeadlessKnight - 4/18/17 at 10:27am
Solitude
(16 items)
 
Sorrow
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.40 GHz Asus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB  Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4) DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VG236H 23" 120 Sony XBR43X800D 43" 4K TV CoolerMaster Octane Storm + Razer Turret EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite 760T Black Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Razer Turret Razer Goliathus Asus Xonar Essence STX II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.60 GHz Asus G751JY Asus GTX 980M 4GB SK hynix HMT41GS6BFR8A-PB 16GB (2x8) DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
SanDisk SD7SB3Q128G1002  HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUC0N Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorAudio
LG Philips LP173WF4-SPD1 + G-SYNC @ 75 Hz Realtek ALC668 
  hide details  
Reply
Solitude
(16 items)
 
Sorrow
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.40 GHz Asus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB  Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4) DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VG236H 23" 120 Sony XBR43X800D 43" 4K TV CoolerMaster Octane Storm + Razer Turret EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite 760T Black Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Razer Turret Razer Goliathus Asus Xonar Essence STX II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.60 GHz Asus G751JY Asus GTX 980M 4GB SK hynix HMT41GS6BFR8A-PB 16GB (2x8) DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
SanDisk SD7SB3Q128G1002  HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUC0N Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorAudio
LG Philips LP173WF4-SPD1 + G-SYNC @ 75 Hz Realtek ALC668 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 61
wait what ? are we still in april's fools ? i dont find any logic on this question at all.. my cpu is even OLDER and can keep up with everything at the moment.
Yukss´s rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k @4.6ghz HT 1.3 v EVGA X79 FTW gtx 1080 FE with EK waterblock 16gb Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ vertex 3 240gb  Samsung 1tb Custom Watercooling Loop Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 27" 2ms 1920*1080 G.SKILL km570 mx Corsair HX 850w Thermaltake core p5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Saitek R.A.T 5 Razer Goliathus speed SoundBlaster x-fi Titaniun 
  hide details  
Reply
Yukss´s rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k @4.6ghz HT 1.3 v EVGA X79 FTW gtx 1080 FE with EK waterblock 16gb Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ vertex 3 240gb  Samsung 1tb Custom Watercooling Loop Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 27" 2ms 1920*1080 G.SKILL km570 mx Corsair HX 850w Thermaltake core p5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Saitek R.A.T 5 Razer Goliathus speed SoundBlaster x-fi Titaniun 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

Do a little experimenting with overclocking. See how much your temperatures really change. Who knows you might be able to get to 4.0ghz with the same voltages it's using when it turbo's to 3.5ghz.

That's what actually got me thinking. I went into my BIOS system and saw that my CPU was using 1.2v ..

Is there a reliable program to check if my CPU was overclocked or not, and what voltage its using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug View Post

None of this is actually pertinent to the discussion.

I personally would ditch lazy liquid cooling. If you want to go liquid, go with a custom loop. If you think a custom loop is too expensive, stop spending $1000 on a CPU. I suggest getting a dual tower air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15s or Phanteks PH-TC14PE if you don't want to put in the effort of constructing a custom loop.

Honestly at that time, only reason I bought that CPU was because I had it as a gaming/server rig. Used it for my Plex server and late night encoding with handbrake / ffmpeg, and that was in 2015. Now I already got an Intel NUC for a dedicated server, and only use this PC for the overnight encoding, while playing modern games in my spare time.

So I used Corsair H100i, which was somewhat popular in that year to cool it down. I'm not experienced enough to go into custom loop and its regular maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessKnight View Post

Reaching mid 70s is a bit high at stock clocks with an H100i . My 5820K @ stock reaches around 55C while rendering (running x264 stability test and at least 2 copies in a row) and that with a Seidon 120XL and that cooler has only a 120mm radiator + fans unlike the 280mm Corsair H100i.
@ 4.4 GHz 1.25V I get around 75-80 C while rendering and that in summer. I don't think 2 extra cores will magically add +20 C.

Forgot to add that my ambient (room) temperature here is usually 23°C to 24°C. It's quite cool tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukss View Post

wait what ? are we still in april's fools ? i dont find any logic on this question at all.. my cpu is even OLDER and can keep up with everything at the moment.

Lol! Only reason I considered was because people were claiming that 7700k processor was giving them higher FPS with the gtx 1080 ti, and also a friend was offering to buy the CPU from me (ofcourse as a lower price than the market).

But thanks to the guys here (which I really appreciate their help!) I'm thinking of overclocking, However, the temperatures now for my CPU is usually around 55°C while gaming (the division, for honor), and max temperature while doing overnight encoding with handbrake at 77°C (read it off the MSI Afterburner after doing hours of encoding).

So i'm trying to figure out why its so high, and how to cool it down before overclocking it.


PS: for the Corsair H100i, I did replace the stock fans with the Quiet edition, as the noise was too much to handle for me.

So again if anyone knows a good program to tell me what voltage my CPU actually uses at full load and its boost speed. Trying to see if my BIOS was correct in saying it was actually using voltage of 1.2v
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Is intel i7 5960x still good for gaming?