Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Linux Gaming › Will Vulkan kick start an interest in Linux as a viable gaming platform?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Will Vulkan kick start an interest in Linux as a viable gaming platform?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I've been sick of M$ for years now and their lock on the PC gaming market.
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8051 View Post

I've been sick of M$ for years now and their lock on the PC gaming market.

It isn't that they have a lock on the pc gaming market but around 85-90% market share in the PC market.

I doubt linux would be a viable gaming machine with the limited amount of games. When it runs thats great but vulkan games are few.
If you wanted someone like that, you would get a console.
post #3 of 13
It's the chicken and egg problem for Linux... Not enough people to justify developing games for it, not enough games available for people to migrate to it.

I swear, if I were a billionaire, I'd fund Linux development for large game publishers and get a cut of sales. I honestly think if every major game publisher started publishing for Linux, you'd see people flock to it. Then Linux would continue getting better and better! Ahhh, pipe dreams... biggrin.gif
Ryzen Furiously
(21 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Superlux HD668B Semi-Open Headphones Polk Audio T15 Bookshelf Speakers Lepy LP-2024A+ Stereo Amplifier 20W per channel 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Furiously
(21 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Superlux HD668B Semi-Open Headphones Polk Audio T15 Bookshelf Speakers Lepy LP-2024A+ Stereo Amplifier 20W per channel 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusIV View Post

It's the chicken and egg problem for Linux... Not enough people to justify developing games for it, not enough games available for people to migrate to it.

I swear, if I were a billionaire, I'd fund Linux development for large game publishers and get a cut of sales. I honestly think if every major game publisher started publishing for Linux, you'd see people flock to it. Then Linux would continue getting better and better! Ahhh, pipe dreams... biggrin.gif

Games aren't the reason people aren't installing Linux. Games are the reason Linux users are installing Windows still. Distro's like Ubuntu have made Linux "tablet" usable, with a store like a phone that's easy to install programs from, but the usability still isn't there for a general desktop OS for the average user who doesn't want to look up how to do anything.
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

Games aren't the reason people aren't installing Linux. Games are the reason Linux users are installing Windows still. Distro's like Ubuntu have made Linux "tablet" usable, with a store like a phone that's easy to install programs from, but the usability still isn't there for a general desktop OS for the average user who doesn't want to look up how to do anything.

I think I'd have to disagree with the lack of general desktop OS use... I think that's what Linux is perfect for! If all someone does is check email, facebook, whatever random website with maybe a few low-key games or browser games, Linux is perfect. There's a lot of stuff you can do through your browser anyway... tied to MS Office (for some crazy reason)? Use LibreOffice, or use Office 365 (which is the way they're going anyway). There are equivalent programs for almost anything you do, you just have to search a little.

I'd absolutely build a small Linux box for my parents / in-laws if they ask me to (which they probably will).
Ryzen Furiously
(21 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Superlux HD668B Semi-Open Headphones Polk Audio T15 Bookshelf Speakers Lepy LP-2024A+ Stereo Amplifier 20W per channel 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Furiously
(21 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Superlux HD668B Semi-Open Headphones Polk Audio T15 Bookshelf Speakers Lepy LP-2024A+ Stereo Amplifier 20W per channel 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusIV View Post

I think I'd have to disagree with the lack of general desktop OS use... I think that's what Linux is perfect for! If all someone does is check email, facebook, whatever random website with maybe a few low-key games or browser games, Linux is perfect. There's a lot of stuff you can do through your browser anyway... tied to MS Office (for some crazy reason)? Use LibreOffice, or use Office 365 (which is the way they're going anyway). There are equivalent programs for almost anything you do, you just have to search a little.

I'd absolutely build a small Linux box for my parents / in-laws if they ask me to (which they probably will).

Sure, if they are using their desktop like a phone with a big screen and better keyboard, it can work great. The problem is it's not a viable replacement for Windows how most people use it... the average person who tries Linux runs into having to look stuff up for hours and gives up.
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

Sure, if they are using their desktop like a phone with a big screen and better keyboard, it can work great. The problem is it's not a viable replacement for Windows how most people use it... the average person who tries Linux runs into having to look stuff up for hours and gives up.

I agree when the average user doesn't know what a terminal is, and all those flying letters look like voodoo magic, it is fairly hard to get them used to a GUI-less concept of a PC.

Linux has its uses and it is in the commercial application. It is huge, try finding a data center that runs Windows Server exclusively. Many use openSUSE and install VM's for their front facing applications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusIV View Post

It's the chicken and egg problem for Linux... Not enough people to justify developing games for it, not enough games available for people to migrate to it.

I swear, if I were a billionaire, I'd fund Linux development for large game publishers and get a cut of sales. I honestly think if every major game publisher started publishing for Linux, you'd see people flock to it. Then Linux would continue getting better and better! Ahhh, pipe dreams... biggrin.gif

If you were a billionaire you could also develop a company that creates windows based games.
IMO, the best way for linux to gain adoption is for major developers like EA/Ubisoft to start porting over some games and create an ecosystem that allows incentives to be made (profits) in that market.
Edited by b0oMeR - 4/18/17 at 4:53pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0oMeR View Post

I agree when the average user doesn't know what a terminal is, and all those flying letters look like voodoo magic, it is fairly hard to get them used to a GUI-less concept of a PC.

Linux has its uses and it is in the commercial application. It is huge, try finding a data center that runs Windows Server exclusively. Many use openSUSE and install VM's for their front facing applications.

You can use the terminal, but you really don't have too. These days you could run a *buntu flavor and never open up the terminal for an average user. If it was you or I and there were specific things we wanted to do then sure, you'll use the terminal. Heck, I use the terminal in Windows too, same dang thing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0oMeR View Post

If you were a billionaire you could also develop a company that creates windows based games.
IMO, the best way for linux to gain adoption is for major developers like EA/Ubisoft to start porting over some games and create an ecosystem that allows incentives to be made (profits) in that market.

If I was a billionaire, I wouldn't p1ss away money on games development, it's a terrible way to make money. My original intent being, if I had WAY more money than sense, I'd spend a small portion of it to get the games I want to run on Linux natively. biggrin.gif
Ryzen Furiously
(21 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Superlux HD668B Semi-Open Headphones Polk Audio T15 Bookshelf Speakers Lepy LP-2024A+ Stereo Amplifier 20W per channel 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Furiously
(21 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Superlux HD668B Semi-Open Headphones Polk Audio T15 Bookshelf Speakers Lepy LP-2024A+ Stereo Amplifier 20W per channel 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 13
Valve already injected large amounts of money in linux gaming. Vulkan is the icing on the cake.
Have been using both OS since the '90s, but made the complete switch when Microsoft started pushing Win10 with its crazy intrusive policy.
No regrets thumb.gif
The Creature
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Asus P8Z68 V-Pro Sapphire HD 7950 OC Boost 16Gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex3 6Gb/s + 2Tb Seagate GoFlex none Corsair H80 Linux LTS 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 CoolerMaster Quickfire TK Corsair AX850 80+ Gold Corsair 600T Modded 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Steelseries Xai Steelseries HD E-Mu Tracker Pre USB 
  hide details  
Reply
The Creature
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Asus P8Z68 V-Pro Sapphire HD 7950 OC Boost 16Gb Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex3 6Gb/s + 2Tb Seagate GoFlex none Corsair H80 Linux LTS 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 CoolerMaster Quickfire TK Corsair AX850 80+ Gold Corsair 600T Modded 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Steelseries Xai Steelseries HD E-Mu Tracker Pre USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by _LDC_ View Post

Valve already injected large amounts of money in linux gaming. Vulkan is the icing on the cake.
Have been using both OS since the '90s, but made the complete switch when Microsoft started pushing Win10 with its crazy intrusive policy.
No regrets thumb.gif

I imagine you're missing out on a lot of AAA titles though. Does Crossfire or SLI even work on Linux? Vulkan supports multi-adapter gaming doesn't it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Linux Gaming › Will Vulkan kick start an interest in Linux as a viable gaming platform?