Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › How safe is it to use an oc cpu that overheats under prime??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How safe is it to use an oc cpu that overheats under prime?? - Page 2

post #11 of 30
Definitely wanna keep it under 80C. 100 or even 90C is waaay too hot. Throttle it back or get a decent cooler.

What cooler are you using?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.27v Biostar TZ77XE3 Asus R9 390 STRIX 8GB 16GB DDR3 1600 kingston hyper X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 500GB F1 + WD 1TB + Crucial 120GB SSD Asus DVD-RW SATA ARCTIC FREEZER i32 Push/Pull Corsair AF120 Windows 10 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Crossover Q27 Cougar Attack X3 Antec Truepower 750W AzzA Solano 1000 Full Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Cyber Snipa SILENCER 5000DPI none X-Raider 5.1 PCI, Creative Inspire 5.1 surround  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.27v Biostar TZ77XE3 Asus R9 390 STRIX 8GB 16GB DDR3 1600 kingston hyper X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 500GB F1 + WD 1TB + Crucial 120GB SSD Asus DVD-RW SATA ARCTIC FREEZER i32 Push/Pull Corsair AF120 Windows 10 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Crossover Q27 Cougar Attack X3 Antec Truepower 750W AzzA Solano 1000 Full Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Cyber Snipa SILENCER 5000DPI none X-Raider 5.1 PCI, Creative Inspire 5.1 surround  
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 30
Thread Starter 
xigmatek dark knight 2 cooler .
it's definitely a voltage tuning issue.
and i might just have a crappy chip that doesn't oc well.
basically i'm a noob at oc, and not good at tuning the values well.
basically at 4.4-4.5ghz i get errors in prime testing at anything under 1.45v.. or something like that...
I don't remember if it was EXACTLY 1.45v .. hehe.

I have a nice case with lots of airflow in/out. 3 fan dk2 cooler (2fans on cooler, 1 on exit of case).
tons of big fans taking air in.. etc..
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2 View Post

xigmatek dark knight 2 cooler .
it's definitely a voltage tuning issue.
and i might just have a crappy chip that doesn't oc well.
basically i'm a noob at oc, and not good at tuning the values well.
basically at 4.4-4.5ghz i get errors in prime testing at anything under 1.45v.. or something like that...
I don't remember if it was EXACTLY 1.45v .. hehe.

I have a nice case with lots of airflow in/out. 3 fan dk2 cooler (2fans on cooler, 1 on exit of case).
tons of big fans taking air in.. etc..
While Dark Knight is a decent cooler there are others that will cool 5-10c better.

Nice case with '3 fan' / 1 on exit' / 'tons of big fans' does not mean you have good airflow. Fact are a case only flows as much as the smaller of case venting / fans .. intake or exhaust. This means if you have 5x intake fans and only 1x exhaust fan with 2x more vents with no fans your case is maybe flowing 2.5 fans of airflow .. and that is optimistic. It also does not mean the airflow is supplying coolers with just intake air and not a mix of cool intake and heated exhaust air from components .. meaning heated is trying to do the cooling, not cool air..
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

While Dark Knight is a decent cooler there are others that will cool 5-10c better.

Nice case with '3 fan' / 1 on exit' / 'tons of big fans' does not mean you have good airflow. Fact are a case only flows as much as the smaller of case venting / fans .. intake or exhaust. This means if you have 5x intake fans and only 1x exhaust fan with 2x more vents with no fans your case is maybe flowing 2.5 fans of airflow .. and that is optimistic. It also does not mean the airflow is supplying coolers with just intake air and not a mix of cool intake and heated exhaust air from components .. meaning heated is trying to do the cooling, not cool air..

This. Just because you have a bunch of fans blowing on hot stuff doesn't make your cooling situation necessarily optimal. That said sometimes depending on your chip you just have tone an OC down a bit.

Its not worth killing your chip for an extra 300mhz or whatever if you have to run a crazy voltage through it and your temps are 10C above what they should be.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.27v Biostar TZ77XE3 Asus R9 390 STRIX 8GB 16GB DDR3 1600 kingston hyper X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 500GB F1 + WD 1TB + Crucial 120GB SSD Asus DVD-RW SATA ARCTIC FREEZER i32 Push/Pull Corsair AF120 Windows 10 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Crossover Q27 Cougar Attack X3 Antec Truepower 750W AzzA Solano 1000 Full Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Cyber Snipa SILENCER 5000DPI none X-Raider 5.1 PCI, Creative Inspire 5.1 surround  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.27v Biostar TZ77XE3 Asus R9 390 STRIX 8GB 16GB DDR3 1600 kingston hyper X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 500GB F1 + WD 1TB + Crucial 120GB SSD Asus DVD-RW SATA ARCTIC FREEZER i32 Push/Pull Corsair AF120 Windows 10 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Crossover Q27 Cougar Attack X3 Antec Truepower 750W AzzA Solano 1000 Full Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Cyber Snipa SILENCER 5000DPI none X-Raider 5.1 PCI, Creative Inspire 5.1 surround  
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 30
Thread Starter 
Gotcha. well i'm pretty sure it's a voltage issue for the most part.
I don't think any air cooling solution would do much for my chip...
nor would I waste $$ on water when it's primarily crappy settings.
Most of the settings are on auto at the moment fyi.

I'll get in there and tinker around.
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2 View Post

Gotcha. well i'm pretty sure it's a voltage issue for the most part.
I don't think any air cooling solution would do much for my chip...
nor would I waste $$ on water when it's primarily crappy settings.
Most of the settings are on auto at the moment fyi.

I'll get in there and tinker around.

I would beware of auto voltage as it can push dangerously high voltages just to keep the chip stable. Use manual or offset.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.27v Biostar TZ77XE3 Asus R9 390 STRIX 8GB 16GB DDR3 1600 kingston hyper X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 500GB F1 + WD 1TB + Crucial 120GB SSD Asus DVD-RW SATA ARCTIC FREEZER i32 Push/Pull Corsair AF120 Windows 10 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Crossover Q27 Cougar Attack X3 Antec Truepower 750W AzzA Solano 1000 Full Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Cyber Snipa SILENCER 5000DPI none X-Raider 5.1 PCI, Creative Inspire 5.1 surround  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.27v Biostar TZ77XE3 Asus R9 390 STRIX 8GB 16GB DDR3 1600 kingston hyper X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 500GB F1 + WD 1TB + Crucial 120GB SSD Asus DVD-RW SATA ARCTIC FREEZER i32 Push/Pull Corsair AF120 Windows 10 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Crossover Q27 Cougar Attack X3 Antec Truepower 750W AzzA Solano 1000 Full Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Cyber Snipa SILENCER 5000DPI none X-Raider 5.1 PCI, Creative Inspire 5.1 surround  
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2 View Post

Gotcha. well i'm pretty sure it's a voltage issue for the most part.
I don't think any air cooling solution would do much for my chip...
nor would I waste $$ on water when it's primarily crappy settings.
Most of the settings are on auto at the moment fyi.

I'll get in there and tinker around.

Given that you are running a chip that Intel has repeatedly said that anything over 1.34 volts will destroy....yeah, you have a voltage issue.
post #18 of 30
Thread Starter 
hmm I thought intels recommendation was 1.5..
ok i guess I was under bad advice then.
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

Given that you are running a chip that Intel has repeatedly said that anything over 1.34 volts will destroy....yeah, you have a voltage issue.

Eh?.Have a look at the ivy overclocking guide here on OCN.The max is 1.52.

cdn.overclock.net/3/31/31e58fed_volts.png


1.4-1.45 is the max that most run.
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K MAXIMUS V FORMULA EVGA 780 Classified 2x4gbB Mushkin Radioactive 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston Hyper X SSD Samsung HD204UI Samsung HD753LJ Samsung HD753LJ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 evo Heatkiller block-p.a. 120.3 rad Win 7 x64 Asus VE278 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g15 Corsair TX850 Haf X G500 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K MAXIMUS V FORMULA EVGA 780 Classified 2x4gbB Mushkin Radioactive 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston Hyper X SSD Samsung HD204UI Samsung HD753LJ Samsung HD753LJ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 evo Heatkiller block-p.a. 120.3 rad Win 7 x64 Asus VE278 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g15 Corsair TX850 Haf X G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepas View Post

Eh?.Have a look at the ivy overclocking guide here on OCN.The max is 1.52.

cdn.overclock.net/3/31/31e58fed_volts.png


1.4-1.45 is the max that most run.

thank you.
that's the info I got.

ALSO I should note that these OC increases are actually a DRASTIC increase in rendering performance.
I just put it back to 3.6ghz until I sort out my voltage/heat issues. And the difference is literally a rendering making me angry or making me happy...
it's that bad.

I forgot for a minute that I had downclocked it and thought my computer was broken, hahaha.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › How safe is it to use an oc cpu that overheats under prime??