Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › Should I overclock GTX 950M for better gaming experience?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I overclock GTX 950M for better gaming experience?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hello!

5 months ago I got myself an ASUS ROG GL552VX and I wanted to know - Is it safe to overclock GTX 950M for a better gaming experience?

I just want to overclock it to run games better like GTA 5, etc.
Will buy witcher 3 soon and wish that I could run it better on 1920x1080 resolution.

Just say it guys, Is it or not good to overclock it just for these reasons to get a bit more FPS?
And could my laptop run for at least 3 - 3.5 years with overclocked GPU?

Spec:

i7-6700HQ 2.60Ghz
GTX 950M 2GB GDDR5
16GB RAM
post #2 of 18
Hey dude,

Right, overclocking a laptop is always a bad plan due to the heat it pumps out, that's far from a gaming laptop so running witcher 3 in 1080 even on low will hammer your GPU.

If you want to game, can I recommend a low spec build with a high end GPU. something like an i5 6400 with a low end motherboard which doesn't ioverclock, and then wait for either the AMD Vega which I'm guessing will push the prices of the other GPU's down so you could get something for a few hundred which will max it out.

Cheers

Comps
post #3 of 18
I never overclocked any laptop GPU but I believe this is possible. The gain will be marginal at the cost of higher consumption and temperature. A lot of laptop savvy user replace the stock thermal paste to allow better dissipation. Most laptop's gpu (if not all) will throttle under heavy duty so even an overclock will not provide any improvement. The laptop throttle the GPU's speed to maintain temperature and consumption at something it has been designed for.
Replacing the thermal paste and undervolting might in fact be more beneficial for the laptop than overclocking it considering the limited thermal dissipation capability.
Edited by Just a nickname - 4/25/17 at 4:42am
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 2x8gb ADATA 2133MHz CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Mushkin 1 TB SSD & Samsung F3 spinpoint 1 TB MCP655A + 2 x MCP320 + EK supreme copper Win10 Corsair K70 Lux 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750W Bitphenix Monstrous water cooling case Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 2x8gb ADATA 2133MHz CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Mushkin 1 TB SSD & Samsung F3 spinpoint 1 TB MCP655A + 2 x MCP320 + EK supreme copper Win10 Corsair K70 Lux 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750W Bitphenix Monstrous water cooling case Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixx3 View Post

Hello!

5 months ago I got myself an ASUS ROG GL552VX and I wanted to know - Is it safe to overclock GTX 950M for a better gaming experience?

I just want to overclock it to run games better like GTA 5, etc.
Will buy witcher 3 soon and wish that I could run it better on 1920x1080 resolution.

Just say it guys, Is it or not good to overclock it just for these reasons to get a bit more FPS?
And could my laptop run for at least 3 - 3.5 years with overclocked GPU?

Spec:

i7-6700HQ 2.60Ghz
GTX 950M 2GB GDDR5
16GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post

Hey dude,

Right, overclocking a laptop is always a bad plan due to the heat it pumps out, that's far from a gaming laptop so running witcher 3 in 1080 even on low will hammer your GPU.

If you want to game, can I recommend a low spec build with a high end GPU. something like an i5 6400 with a low end motherboard which doesn't ioverclock, and then wait for either the AMD Vega which I'm guessing will push the prices of the other GPU's down so you could get something for a few hundred which will max it out.

Cheers

Comps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a nickname View Post

I never overclocked any laptop GPU but I believe this is possible. The gain will be marginal at the cost of higher consumption and temperature. A lot of laptop savvy user replace the stock thermal paste to allow better dissipation. Most laptop's gpu (if not all) will throttle under heavy duty so even an overclock will not provide any improvement. The laptop throttle the GPU's speed to maintain temperature and consumption at something it has been designed for.
Replacing the thermal paste and undervolting might in fact be more beneficial for the laptop than overclocking it considering the limited thermal dissipation capability.

Most laptop GPU's in my experience max out the default slider allowed by NVIDIA on laptops which is +135 Mhz core. Mind you this overclock is usually at maybe 2-4C higher temps because you do not need to over-volt it to gain this extra +135 Mhz. This is also the max you can overclock it without bios modding it, which i would not recommend. Mind you this will be a marginal 5-7% performance gain by doing so.
Desktop!
(17 items)
 
Spare Gaming Rig
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700X 3940 Mhz @ 1.342v BIOSTAR X370GT7 GTX 980 Ti @ 1443Mhz  CORSAIR Vengeance White LED 3200 Mhz (4x8GB) 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
256GB Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Samsung 850 Evo XSPC Raystorm XSPC Razor GPU Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingMonitor
XSPC Photon 2x XSPC EX240 6x Gentle Typhoon AP-14's Lenovo Y27G - 1080P 144Hz VA G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Ornata Corsair 750 RM Phanteks Evolv ATX Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE GTX 980 Ti @ 1400 Mhz 4 x 4GB (16GB) Corsair LPX DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB Seagate 1TB RAID HDD Cosair H240 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPower
Asus P278Q Razer BlackWidow Corsair 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop!
(17 items)
 
Spare Gaming Rig
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700X 3940 Mhz @ 1.342v BIOSTAR X370GT7 GTX 980 Ti @ 1443Mhz  CORSAIR Vengeance White LED 3200 Mhz (4x8GB) 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
256GB Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Samsung 850 Evo XSPC Raystorm XSPC Razor GPU Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingMonitor
XSPC Photon 2x XSPC EX240 6x Gentle Typhoon AP-14's Lenovo Y27G - 1080P 144Hz VA G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Ornata Corsair 750 RM Phanteks Evolv ATX Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE GTX 980 Ti @ 1400 Mhz 4 x 4GB (16GB) Corsair LPX DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB Seagate 1TB RAID HDD Cosair H240 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPower
Asus P278Q Razer BlackWidow Corsair 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftstealth View Post



Most laptop GPU's in my experience max out the default slider allowed by NVIDIA on laptops which is +135 Mhz core. Mind you this overclock is usually at maybe 2-4C higher temps because you do not need to over-volt it to gain this extra +135 Mhz. This is also the max you can overclock it without bios modding it, which i would not recommend. Mind you this will be a marginal 5-7% performance gain by doing so.

.


Just now I tried to increase GPU Clock +135Mhz and Vram Clock +255 Mhz with NVIDIA inspector and didn't see any difference. Like for example, tried to run GTA 5 Ultra and the fps stays the same as without increasing GPU and Vram Clock. (the same goes with the MSI Afterburner)

Can run the game perfectly fine on high settings, but on ultra it's un-playable.

What am I doing wrong here, do I need to check something in BIOS to be able to modify these things?

(Sorry If i'm not right on the point, English is not my native langauge and it's my first time doing these kind of things)
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixx3 View Post

Just now I tried to increase GPU Clock +135Mhz and Vram Clock +255 Mhz with NVIDIA inspector and didn't see any difference. Like for example, tried to run GTA 5 Ultra and the fps stays the same as without increasing GPU and Vram Clock. (the same goes with the MSI Afterburner)

Can run the game perfectly fine on high settings, but on ultra it's un-playable.

What am I doing wrong here, do I need to check something in BIOS to be able to modify these things?

(Sorry If i'm not right on the point, English is not my native langauge and it's my first time doing these kind of things)

Have you verified by GPUz that the clocks actually increased? There were some NVIDIA drivers out where they disabled overclocking on laptops.
Desktop!
(17 items)
 
Spare Gaming Rig
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700X 3940 Mhz @ 1.342v BIOSTAR X370GT7 GTX 980 Ti @ 1443Mhz  CORSAIR Vengeance White LED 3200 Mhz (4x8GB) 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
256GB Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Samsung 850 Evo XSPC Raystorm XSPC Razor GPU Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingMonitor
XSPC Photon 2x XSPC EX240 6x Gentle Typhoon AP-14's Lenovo Y27G - 1080P 144Hz VA G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Ornata Corsair 750 RM Phanteks Evolv ATX Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE GTX 980 Ti @ 1400 Mhz 4 x 4GB (16GB) Corsair LPX DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB Seagate 1TB RAID HDD Cosair H240 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPower
Asus P278Q Razer BlackWidow Corsair 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop!
(17 items)
 
Spare Gaming Rig
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700X 3940 Mhz @ 1.342v BIOSTAR X370GT7 GTX 980 Ti @ 1443Mhz  CORSAIR Vengeance White LED 3200 Mhz (4x8GB) 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
256GB Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Samsung 850 Evo XSPC Raystorm XSPC Razor GPU Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingMonitor
XSPC Photon 2x XSPC EX240 6x Gentle Typhoon AP-14's Lenovo Y27G - 1080P 144Hz VA G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Ornata Corsair 750 RM Phanteks Evolv ATX Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE GTX 980 Ti @ 1400 Mhz 4 x 4GB (16GB) Corsair LPX DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB Seagate 1TB RAID HDD Cosair H240 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPower
Asus P278Q Razer BlackWidow Corsair 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixx3 View Post

Just now I tried to increase GPU Clock +135Mhz and Vram Clock +255 Mhz with NVIDIA inspector and didn't see any difference. Like for example, tried to run GTA 5 Ultra and the fps stays the same as without increasing GPU and Vram Clock. (the same goes with the MSI Afterburner)

Can run the game perfectly fine on high settings, but on ultra it's un-playable.

What am I doing wrong here, do I need to check something in BIOS to be able to modify these things?

(Sorry If i'm not right on the point, English is not my native langauge and it's my first time doing these kind of things)

Try a benchmark and compare the score.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 2x8gb ADATA 2133MHz CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Mushkin 1 TB SSD & Samsung F3 spinpoint 1 TB MCP655A + 2 x MCP320 + EK supreme copper Win10 Corsair K70 Lux 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750W Bitphenix Monstrous water cooling case Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 2x8gb ADATA 2133MHz CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Mushkin 1 TB SSD & Samsung F3 spinpoint 1 TB MCP655A + 2 x MCP320 + EK supreme copper Win10 Corsair K70 Lux 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 750W Bitphenix Monstrous water cooling case Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftstealth View Post

Have you verified by GPUz that the clocks actually increased? There were some NVIDIA drivers out where they disabled overclocking on laptops.

7hbBzfV.png

The GPU clocks increased, but no difference at all.
What NVIDIA driver should I actually install to be able to make the overclocking feature enabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a nickname View Post

Try a benchmark and compare the score.

You mean the benchmark to test the FPS on GTA 5? If so, then I did it and didn't see any difference.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixx3 View Post

7hbBzfV.png

The GPU clocks increased, but no difference at all.
What NVIDIA driver should I actually install to be able to make the overclocking feature enabled?
You mean the benchmark to test the FPS on GTA 5? If so, then I did it and didn't see any difference.

I would watch the clocks in game with msi afterburner to verify that it is still boosting properly. If your laptop is getting too hot it could be thermally throttling. All of this could be viewed while using msi afterburner and watching the clocks and temps in game in a corner with the OSD.
Desktop!
(17 items)
 
Spare Gaming Rig
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700X 3940 Mhz @ 1.342v BIOSTAR X370GT7 GTX 980 Ti @ 1443Mhz  CORSAIR Vengeance White LED 3200 Mhz (4x8GB) 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
256GB Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Samsung 850 Evo XSPC Raystorm XSPC Razor GPU Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingMonitor
XSPC Photon 2x XSPC EX240 6x Gentle Typhoon AP-14's Lenovo Y27G - 1080P 144Hz VA G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Ornata Corsair 750 RM Phanteks Evolv ATX Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE GTX 980 Ti @ 1400 Mhz 4 x 4GB (16GB) Corsair LPX DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB Seagate 1TB RAID HDD Cosair H240 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPower
Asus P278Q Razer BlackWidow Corsair 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop!
(17 items)
 
Spare Gaming Rig
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700X 3940 Mhz @ 1.342v BIOSTAR X370GT7 GTX 980 Ti @ 1443Mhz  CORSAIR Vengeance White LED 3200 Mhz (4x8GB) 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
256GB Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Samsung 850 Evo XSPC Raystorm XSPC Razor GPU Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingMonitor
XSPC Photon 2x XSPC EX240 6x Gentle Typhoon AP-14's Lenovo Y27G - 1080P 144Hz VA G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Ornata Corsair 750 RM Phanteks Evolv ATX Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE GTX 980 Ti @ 1400 Mhz 4 x 4GB (16GB) Corsair LPX DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB Seagate 1TB RAID HDD Cosair H240 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPower
Asus P278Q Razer BlackWidow Corsair 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftstealth View Post

I would watch the clocks in game with msi afterburner to verify that it is still boosting properly. If your laptop is getting too hot it could be thermally throttling. All of this could be viewed while using msi afterburner and watching the clocks and temps in game in a corner with the OSD.



Well, the GPU temperature is in a good standing and it isn't that hot or thermally throttling.
I seriously don't know what I'm doing wrong here...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › Should I overclock GTX 950M for better gaming experience?