Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Poseidon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Poseidon - Page 9

post #81 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximization View Post

I don't know. Haha.

It might be more silcone lottery then past. One just runs hotter.

I hit thermal limit on my loop. So more rads or go chiller... Honestly they are fast stock

The temperature can also be affected by the silicon lottery? Geez...

That's the thing, the Poseidon is pretty fast out of box, although the card that runs hotter is sadly slower out of box, but OCs better. The lazy part of me says to go with less headache and take the cooler one, the ethusiast says to change the paste, although it doesn't guarantee better temps... :/

Currently it's pretty cold and I even used the air conditioner to keep the room temperature at 17°C, so it's pretty chill even on air.

By the way, how much did you get your memory clock? I kept mine at +250.
Edited by NeedMoreJuice - 9/19/17 at 5:36am
post #82 of 174
I would rather be 6C lower at idle and trade off 10Mhz; I'd keep the top card. I doubt that 10Mhz is perceptible in any way.

Is the top card cooler under load as well?
 
Hidden Overkill
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asus ROG Formula VI Radeon R9 295x2 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Plextor M6e Samsung 850 EVO Windows 7 Dell 2412 (x5) 
Case
Corsair 900D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700k Strix z270e 1080ti ROG Poseidon Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133 Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 960 Pro NVME 480mm + 360mm Nemesis GTX Rads Windows 10 3x Dell 24 inch montiors + TV + HTC Vive 
PowerCase
Corsair RMi 1000w Wood Nightstand 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Hidden Overkill
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asus ROG Formula VI Radeon R9 295x2 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Plextor M6e Samsung 850 EVO Windows 7 Dell 2412 (x5) 
Case
Corsair 900D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700k Strix z270e 1080ti ROG Poseidon Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133 Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 960 Pro NVME 480mm + 360mm Nemesis GTX Rads Windows 10 3x Dell 24 inch montiors + TV + HTC Vive 
PowerCase
Corsair RMi 1000w Wood Nightstand 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillClock1 View Post

I would rather be 6C lower at idle and trade off 10Mhz; I'd keep the top card. I doubt that 10Mhz is perceptible in any way.

Is the top card cooler under load as well?

I did run both single (not together in Sli) and did the benches to determine the most stable clocks and search for possible defects or other differences in voltage and boost clock / steps. (A user here mentioned something about the voltage that may determine better clocking cards, so I got curious).

As I said:
Card1: runs at default at 1974Mhz, idle 29°C - while it clocks higher and is cooler, it needs only +70 to hit 2088, but drops to constant 2076 - it doesn't like to go near 2101
Card2: runs at default at 1947Mhz, idle 35°C - while it clocks lower because its warmer, it needs +110 and reaches 2114, drops to stable 2101

Both were tested under the same conditions, I even re-installed the driver and tried it again, nothing has changed in that regard.
post #84 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreJuice View Post

I did run both single (not together in Sli) and did the benches to determine the most stable clocks and search for possible defects or other differences in voltage and boost clock / steps. (A user here mentioned something about the voltage that may determine better clocking cards, so I got curious).

As I said:
Card1: runs at default at 1974Mhz, idle 29°C - while it clocks higher and is cooler, it needs only +70 to hit 2088, but drops to constant 2076
Card2: runs at default at 1947Mhz, idle 35°C - while it clocks lower because its warmer, it needs +110 and reaches 2114, drops to stable 2101

Both were tested under the same conditions, I even re-installed the driver and tried it again, nothing has changed in that regard.

Is the bottom card stable at 2088 or 2101? (2088 is where I was getting the 10Mhz difference from)

What temperatures are each at under load?
 
Hidden Overkill
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asus ROG Formula VI Radeon R9 295x2 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Plextor M6e Samsung 850 EVO Windows 7 Dell 2412 (x5) 
Case
Corsair 900D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700k Strix z270e 1080ti ROG Poseidon Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133 Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 960 Pro NVME 480mm + 360mm Nemesis GTX Rads Windows 10 3x Dell 24 inch montiors + TV + HTC Vive 
PowerCase
Corsair RMi 1000w Wood Nightstand 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Hidden Overkill
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asus ROG Formula VI Radeon R9 295x2 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Plextor M6e Samsung 850 EVO Windows 7 Dell 2412 (x5) 
Case
Corsair 900D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700k Strix z270e 1080ti ROG Poseidon Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133 Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 960 Pro NVME 480mm + 360mm Nemesis GTX Rads Windows 10 3x Dell 24 inch montiors + TV + HTC Vive 
PowerCase
Corsair RMi 1000w Wood Nightstand 
  hide details  
Reply
post #85 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillClock1 View Post

Is the bottom card stable at 2088 or 2101? (2088 is where I was getting the 10Mhz difference from)

What temperatures are each at under load?

Since I didn't have the chance to test them on water yet, on 95% fan speed, 120%PT, 100% voltage, +110 on CC and +250 on MM it gets around 70ish°C and stays at 2101, so I expect - IF a change of thermal paste helps and putting it under water that it can perhaps keep 2114mhz without clocking down to 2101.

The cooler card is about 68°C with 95% fan speed, 120%PT, 100% voltage, +70 on CC and +250 on MM, but hard locks like 10 seconds after it hits 2101, so 2088 seems stable, but due to temp it drops to 2076.

However I've only tested it with Valley, other applications may vary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreJuice View Post


Here with +75 on the CC, as you can see I am at 2063Mhz
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I need +110 on the CC to reach 2101mhz, while it drops to constant 2088Mhz
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

EDIT

It went to 2114 with +110 and dropped to 2101 and then to 2088 after some minutes.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

What worries me is that the better clocking card boosts less, I guess it's due to the temperature? Although it behaves differently with the voltage as well. The lowest I hit on the cooler card was 1043v, while on this it went down to 1031v.

Also I'm not certain whether the temperature difference is caused by a bad application of thermal paste or really just silicon lottery. Going with the cooler chip may overall be the better option although it doesn't clock as well. Going this the hotter chip may be a win if the temp can be lowered, since it oc's better.
Edited by NeedMoreJuice - 9/19/17 at 7:16am
post #86 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreJuice View Post

The temperature can also be affected by the silicon lottery? Geez...

That's the thing, the Poseidon is pretty fast out of box, although the card that runs hotter is sadly slower out of box, but OCs better. The lazy part of me says to go with less headache and take the cooler one, the ethusiast says to change the paste, although it doesn't guarantee better temps... :/

Currently it's pretty cold and I even used the air conditioner to keep the room temperature at 17°C, so it's pretty chill even on air.

By the way, how much did you get your memory clock? I kept mine at +250.

fastest was +990 so far thermal issues occurred...need more rads or chiller, benchmarking scores were going down also

looking at this possably as an xmas gift to self, the cards if kept cool ...who knows how fast!!!!

http://koolance.com/exc-800-portable-800W-recirculating-chiller
INA
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 4960x RAMPAGE IV EXTREME 1080Ti Poseidon 1080Ti Poseidon 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill F3-12800CL10-8GBXL Sandisk SSD DVD WRITER BLU-RAY WRITER 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
CUSTOM LOOP VISTA 64 ULTIMATE windows 10 pro Philips BDM4065UC 40" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK SEASONIC SS-850KM ACTIVE PFC F3 RAVEN 03 Utech Smart laser mouse 
Mouse PadAudioOther
CYBER SNIPA TRACER ONBOARD Scythe Kama Rack 5.25" Bay Multi Media / Dual 2... 
  hide details  
Reply
INA
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 4960x RAMPAGE IV EXTREME 1080Ti Poseidon 1080Ti Poseidon 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill F3-12800CL10-8GBXL Sandisk SSD DVD WRITER BLU-RAY WRITER 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
CUSTOM LOOP VISTA 64 ULTIMATE windows 10 pro Philips BDM4065UC 40" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK SEASONIC SS-850KM ACTIVE PFC F3 RAVEN 03 Utech Smart laser mouse 
Mouse PadAudioOther
CYBER SNIPA TRACER ONBOARD Scythe Kama Rack 5.25" Bay Multi Media / Dual 2... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #87 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximization View Post

fastest was +990 so far thermal issues occurred...need more rads or chiller, benchmarking scores were going down also

looking at this possably as an xmas gift to self, the cards if kept cool ...who knows how fast!!!!

http://koolance.com/exc-800-portable-800W-recirculating-chiller

You're crazy, haha.

But I figured the curve would go down with the vram, had that with my 980 Ti, 350 to 400 were ok for games, 500 brought down the fps and the benchmark score didn't change at all or margin of error.

Even if you would cool your gpus more down with that chiller, I doubt though that you'd gain anything that would justify that price range, however if it's your hobby, and for most it is or else we wouldn't spent so much money on graphic cards, go for it thumb.gif
post #88 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreJuice View Post

Since I didn't have the chance to test them on water yet, on 95% fan speed, 120%PT, 100% voltage, +110 on CC and +250 on MM it gets around 70ish°C and stays at 2101, so I expect - IF a change of thermal paste and putting it under water that it can perhaps keep 2114mhz without clocking down to 2101.

I concur, if you have the space to add rads I would do so to get your temps into the low 50s. With the chiller you are picking up more noise and need to worry about condensation.
 
Hidden Overkill
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asus ROG Formula VI Radeon R9 295x2 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Plextor M6e Samsung 850 EVO Windows 7 Dell 2412 (x5) 
Case
Corsair 900D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700k Strix z270e 1080ti ROG Poseidon Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133 Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 960 Pro NVME 480mm + 360mm Nemesis GTX Rads Windows 10 3x Dell 24 inch montiors + TV + HTC Vive 
PowerCase
Corsair RMi 1000w Wood Nightstand 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Hidden Overkill
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asus ROG Formula VI Radeon R9 295x2 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Plextor M6e Samsung 850 EVO Windows 7 Dell 2412 (x5) 
Case
Corsair 900D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700k Strix z270e 1080ti ROG Poseidon Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133 Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 960 Pro NVME 480mm + 360mm Nemesis GTX Rads Windows 10 3x Dell 24 inch montiors + TV + HTC Vive 
PowerCase
Corsair RMi 1000w Wood Nightstand 
  hide details  
Reply
post #89 of 174
Does anyone have their DVI port and both HDMI ports in use at the same time? I thought I read that these are either/or, but can't find anything on that now.
 
Hidden Overkill
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asus ROG Formula VI Radeon R9 295x2 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Plextor M6e Samsung 850 EVO Windows 7 Dell 2412 (x5) 
Case
Corsair 900D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700k Strix z270e 1080ti ROG Poseidon Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133 Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 960 Pro NVME 480mm + 360mm Nemesis GTX Rads Windows 10 3x Dell 24 inch montiors + TV + HTC Vive 
PowerCase
Corsair RMi 1000w Wood Nightstand 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Hidden Overkill
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Asus ROG Formula VI Radeon R9 295x2 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Plextor M6e Samsung 850 EVO Windows 7 Dell 2412 (x5) 
Case
Corsair 900D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700k Strix z270e 1080ti ROG Poseidon Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133 Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 960 Pro NVME 480mm + 360mm Nemesis GTX Rads Windows 10 3x Dell 24 inch montiors + TV + HTC Vive 
PowerCase
Corsair RMi 1000w Wood Nightstand 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillClock1 View Post

I concur, if you have the space to add rads I would do so to get your temps into the low 50s. With the chiller you are picking up more noise and need to worry about condensation.

I definitely am going to watercool it, just wanted to see the oc limits. The chiller although is Maximizations plan, not mine haha.


The thermal paste they've applied seems to be a quality one, although it's EXTREMELY sticky. I've changed the tp from many gpus, even dried up paste and didn't encounter such an annoying paste in my life. That stuff mostly moved and smeared, but barely came clean off.

The thermal pads seem to be 1,5mm ones, either squished 2mm pads or 1.5mm.

The result of the paste change is like 1.5°C, it keepds dingling between 33° and 34°C, from previous 35°C.
Edited by NeedMoreJuice - 9/21/17 at 3:36pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti Poseidon