Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Cooling Experiments › Mainboard VRM heatsink extension (Experiment)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mainboard VRM heatsink extension (Experiment)

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Hello,

I´ve heard cooler VRM results in lower consuption[/URL], so I wanted to try it.
here is my blender concept


and here the firts prototype made of 1mm thin copper plate biggrin.gif


I had some probleblems getting it flat, but seemed ok and with thermal pad I gived it a try.
after analyzing the results, I am not sure if it makes good contact at all VRMs.
some are better somer are worst, but at all the minimum temps are better.
and somehow it is not as how as expected by touching it.
maybe using thermal glue?

before

and test 1




Edited by AUMclocks - 4/27/17 at 2:40pm
post #2 of 5
Hello
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUMclocks View Post

Hello,
I´ve heard cooler VRM results in lower consuption

- false
- you can improve OC stability
- 70°C are NOTHING for VRMs, call me when they are above 95°C biggrin.gif
- too thin foil, after some cm it's already at ambient temperature so that long lenght is useless
- put thermal pad between foil and VRMs, put thermal paste between foil and heatsink
if the foil isn't perfectly flat you should use thermal pad also between foil and heatsink
but the thermal resistence added by the 2°pad will make it altogheter less performing
- optimal : big solid block of copper
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
yo, I hoped to come up with some good results, but it turns out I should post my concept first biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimico9 View Post

Hello
- false
I am not Tesla, maybe u right.
Quote:
- you can improve OC stability
yes, there for it was intended
Quote:
- 70°C are NOTHING for VRMs, call me when they are above 95°C biggrin.gif
u look at wrong temps, the 70s are on VCA VTT and VDIMM
the CPU vrms are over 80 and this will limit my further oc, one day when I got a new cooler for CPU.
Quote:
- too thin foil, after some cm it's already at ambient temperature so that long lenght is useless
ok, however it is not a foil.
Quote:
- put thermal pad between foil and VRMs, put thermal paste between foil and heatsink
I did
Quote:
if the foil isn't perfectly flat you should use thermal pad also between foil and heatsink

but the thermal resistence added by the 2°pad will make it altogheter less performing
I have to disasamble it at look at it again because of the pressure of the original heatsink, also mybe will try to make it more flat or
Quote:
- optimal : big solid block of copper
if I knew where to get one,
did not found yet a big one with about 10cm hole gap
post #4 of 5
I call "1mm thin copper plate" foil
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUMclocks View Post

I have to disasamble it at look at it again because of the pressure of the original heatsink
good point!
did you modify the clamping mechanism ?
1mm of additional thikness + original mechanism = too much pressure -->bend motherboard, poor contact, crack of components,...
check it thumb.gif

p.s. sorry I got the wrong vrm, I usually don't have so much values tongue.gif
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
yeah to see how it changed.
I used original mechanism (screws)
it was maybe enough space for a second foil biggrin.gif
but not sideways.

I was watching the mobo bending process, I mean not to happen thumb.gif

edit: what about flat cool pipes?
Edited by AUMclocks - 4/27/17 at 2:41pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cooling Experiments
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Cooling Experiments › Mainboard VRM heatsink extension (Experiment)