Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [BI] Tesla's semi truck can be driven around 'like a sports car'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[BI] Tesla's semi truck can be driven around 'like a sports car' - Page 20

post #191 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imouto View Post


Whaaaaaat? Since when an AC motor has brushes? Do you even know what you are talking about?
Whaaaaaat? Are you seriously saying that any EV would have lead batteries? For frigging real?
Lead again...
EV batteries can be cooled or heated granpa. In fact it is the principle for heating for passengers or maintaining performance level in cold weather.

And now I'm absolutely sure this isn't trolling but sheer ignorance and talking about something you don't know the first thing about.

Like gramps is worried about it....

With respect:
I do know some things whether you think so or not, I'll admit there's alot about the tech I don't know but regardless of the tech or whatever else, doesn't really matter when it comes down to it - Doesn't matter what you may know or not either since there is only one factor that determines what happens with it all.

It's what the trucking companies decide and that itself is about the money.

Being newer tech doesn't make it "Better" from a viabilty standpoint for them.... Or just better period, what will make the most for them is the thing and doesn't matter how this is harped on here or anywhere else. Sure - You can say it's better and convince yourselves it's the way to go..... I could do the same like that would matter also but it doesn't.

This is between Tesla and the companies - No other opinions matter beyond that.

BTW I doubt you've ever worked on electric vehicles for a living before but I have so don't go saying I know nothing at all about them. Sometimes such remarks can result in one being shown what they don't know.
Again, I'm not up on the latest and admit to a lack of knowlege about the newest tech and honestly was thinking along the lines of what I have known and I guess that's understandable, but don't forget what you have learned I can too and apply what I've already learned with the actual experience I do have to it as well.

@ Darkpriest667:
I'll admit batteries for vehicles ran on the road don't use lead/acid since those would be Lithium as you said but to say those aren't made anymore period is incorrect.
I can show you where you can order these as described and yes, the company I work for now orders these and gets them today for what they run in the warehouse.

I'm not accusing anyone of trolling, just speaking my mind over it.... And I'm done.
Let's move on. rolleyes.gif
Smeg-O-Rama
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Crosshair V-Z Some old piece of smeg that actually works...? C.R.S. 
CoolingMonitorPower
Scythe Susanoo Asus VH238-H 23' LCD 1600 little pink bunnies with drums..... 
  hide details  
Reply
Smeg-O-Rama
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Crosshair V-Z Some old piece of smeg that actually works...? C.R.S. 
CoolingMonitorPower
Scythe Susanoo Asus VH238-H 23' LCD 1600 little pink bunnies with drums..... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #192 of 334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benladesh View Post

I don't know what to tell you. It's not impossible if the suspension is stiff to achieve lift on the inside. I got bounce on the inside tires on a highway off-ramp that goes 270 degrees (to an overpass). Recommended speed is 50 km/h, The tesla wasn't happy at around 70, the Q7 followed no problem and my MX5 can take that corner at 90+.

I was driving a Model X P100D. The Model x is definitely nimble for its size but it's nothing like a sports car at speed.


I am excited for Teslas Semi-truck. I just don't like that it says "like a sports car", I'm sure at speed, it's not "Like a sports car".

Have you driven the truck to know of it is like a sports car? Maybe save the shame and refute when there is proof.

Also I'm sure the definition of a sports car doesn't state a car that makes 70kph around a tight corner. Not ever sports car can do that.

So again... Save it
post #193 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post

They won't sell. Talk to any semi truck drivers. They hate the modern technology, and especially emissions equipment. They won't touch this with a 10 foot barge pole. Also, a short range is not exactly great for a semi.

I guess that's why the Ford F-Series is the #1 truck, despite them using turbos. If I had to go by what every trucker says they "want", they'd all be driving V8 Ram 3500s... but they don't. Maybe because they aren't as stupid as the stereotype says they are.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Asus z87AR R9 290 4GB Sapphire Tri-X Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Black Corsair 240GB SSD Asus crappy drive Windows 8 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 1080p 24" IPS Panel Ducky Shining Red Cherry MX [Blue LED] 700 Watt Cooler Master PSU Cooler Master Storm Scout 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech 502 Proteus Core Steelseries 4HD Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Asus z87AR R9 290 4GB Sapphire Tri-X Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Black Corsair 240GB SSD Asus crappy drive Windows 8 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 1080p 24" IPS Panel Ducky Shining Red Cherry MX [Blue LED] 700 Watt Cooler Master PSU Cooler Master Storm Scout 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech 502 Proteus Core Steelseries 4HD Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #194 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imouto View Post


Whaaaaaat? Since when an AC motor has brushes? Do you even know what you are talking about?
Whaaaaaat? Are you seriously saying that any EV would have lead batteries? For frigging real?
Lead again...
EV batteries can be cooled or heated granpa. In fact it is the principle for heating for passengers or maintaining performance level in cold weather.

And now I'm absolutely sure this isn't trolling but sheer ignorance and talking about something you don't know the first thing about.

Like gramps is worried about it....

With respect:
I do know some things whether you think so or not, I'll admit there's alot about the tech I don't know but regardless of the tech or whatever else, doesn't really matter when it comes down to it - Doesn't matter what you may know or not either since there is only one factor that determines what happens with it all.

It's what the trucking companies decide and that itself is about the money.

Being newer tech doesn't make it "Better" from a viabilty standpoint for them.... Or just better period, what will make the most for them is the thing and doesn't matter how this is harped on here or anywhere else. Sure - You can say it's better and convince yourselves it's the way to go..... I could do the same like that would matter also but it doesn't.

This is between Tesla and the companies - No other opinions matter beyond that.

BTW I doubt you've ever worked on electric vehicles for a living before but I have so don't go saying I know nothing at all about them. Sometimes such remarks can result in one being shown what they don't know.
Again, I'm not up on the latest and admit to a lack of knowlege about the newest tech and honestly was thinking along the lines of what I have known and I guess that's understandable, but don't forget what you have learned I can too and apply what I've already learned with the actual experience I do have to it as well.

@ Darkpriest667:
I'll admit batteries for vehicles ran on the road don't use lead/acid since those would be Lithium as you said but to say those aren't made anymore period is incorrect.
I can show you where you can order these as described and yes, the company I work for now orders these and gets them today for what they run in the warehouse.

I'm not accusing anyone of trolling, just speaking my mind over it.... And I'm done.
Let's move on. rolleyes.gif

So, why didn't you update your knowledge before talking as if it's 1994? Tech is an amazing field, you look away for a couple years and you may as well throw previous knowledge out the window for a few hours while you catch up.

I don't normally agree with Lady Fitzgerald too much but i'll join in this time; did any of you actually read the source or thread?
Forge
(16 items)
 
Forge-LT
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4720HQ UX501JW-UB71T GTX 960m 16GB 1600 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
512GB PCI-e SSD Windows 10 Pro 4k IPS 
  hide details  
Reply
Forge
(16 items)
 
Forge-LT
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4720HQ UX501JW-UB71T GTX 960m 16GB 1600 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
512GB PCI-e SSD Windows 10 Pro 4k IPS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #195 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post

So, why didn't you update your knowledge before talking as if it's 1994? Tech is an amazing field, you look away for a couple years and you may as well throw previous knowledge out the window for a few hours while you catch up.

I don't normally agree with Lady Fitzgerald too much but i'll join in this time; did any of you actually read the source or thread?

That's my fault - No problem with admitting the mistake on my part.

However I still believe this is something these companies won't be adopting so readily. Again it's all about the cost vs profitability of such and nothing else. For those that's jumping all over it and saying it as if the issue is already decided well, good luck convincing the companies of it.

It's all between Tesla and the companies involved where it goes or doesn't go.
Smeg-O-Rama
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Crosshair V-Z Some old piece of smeg that actually works...? C.R.S. 
CoolingMonitorPower
Scythe Susanoo Asus VH238-H 23' LCD 1600 little pink bunnies with drums..... 
  hide details  
Reply
Smeg-O-Rama
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Crosshair V-Z Some old piece of smeg that actually works...? C.R.S. 
CoolingMonitorPower
Scythe Susanoo Asus VH238-H 23' LCD 1600 little pink bunnies with drums..... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #196 of 334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton View Post

That's my fault - No problem with admitting the mistake on my part.

However I still believe this is something these companies won't be adopting so readily. Again it's all about the cost vs profitability of such and nothing else. For those that's jumping all over it and saying it as if the issue is already decided well, good luck convincing the companies of it.

It's all between Tesla and the companies involved where it goes or doesn't go.

How are you any different than people who think this will be adopted readily?

You are jumping to conclusions just the same.
post #197 of 334
I'm not - I just don't believe this will be accepted as readily as others do for the reasons given.

The context of your statement as posted brands either way of thinking as jumping to a conclusion - Can't have it both ways because either it will be adopted or it won't.
Smeg-O-Rama
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Crosshair V-Z Some old piece of smeg that actually works...? C.R.S. 
CoolingMonitorPower
Scythe Susanoo Asus VH238-H 23' LCD 1600 little pink bunnies with drums..... 
  hide details  
Reply
Smeg-O-Rama
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Crosshair V-Z Some old piece of smeg that actually works...? C.R.S. 
CoolingMonitorPower
Scythe Susanoo Asus VH238-H 23' LCD 1600 little pink bunnies with drums..... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #198 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton View Post

I'm not - I just don't believe this will be accepted as readily as others do for the reasons given.

The context of your statement as posted brands either way of thinking as jumping to a conclusion - Can't have it both ways because either it will be adopted or it won't.
It's not an either/or situation. Partial adoption and/or gradual adoption are also viable options.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RP... Western Digital WD Black WD2001FASS-0 2TB 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Black WD4003FZEX 4TB LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s Corsair HX750W 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... Antec EasySATA Internal HDD Dock 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RP... Western Digital WD Black WD2001FASS-0 2TB 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Black WD4003FZEX 4TB LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s Corsair HX750W 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... Antec EasySATA Internal HDD Dock 
  hide details  
Reply
post #199 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster_is_better View Post

Well hopefully the Tesla version of the semi has a much better range than the Daimler electric semi in testing now, with a range of 124 miles on a charge.

Now I'm curious how bad a battery fire would be if it is so massive. I don't know that the semi trucks have a huge number of major accidents per year but it seems like since the inception of electric / battery powered vehicles they were really a lost cause if they caught fire. Maybe they will have some fire suppression or other methods in place for future e rigs.

Imagine one of those fires occurring in an enclosed space like a tunnel as well. Then again its not like ICE vehicles are fire proof...
post #200 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post

A very interesting concept, which could lead to lower emissions and lower costs.

I can see companies like Amazon loving this for things like warehouse - warehouse shipping, especially when coupled with autonomous driving.

Another great thing is that electric motors take pretty much zero maintenance, especially compared to IC engines
. I have seen motors in acid plants that have been running almost continuously for over a decade in some very harsh conditions, and still work just fine. Industrial motors are typically rated at 25 years of continuous service, and it is rare that an equipment failure is caused by them. Even if they do break, swapping them out is a very quick and simple job that can be done in less than an hour by a competent crew - one cable, 4 anchor bolts, 1 coupling.
Trolley busses are a viable alternative there - no need for the huge battery packs as they take their power from overhead wires (still need a smaller battery for those times when they become disconnected from the wires). The obvious drawback to this is the need to install and maintain the cables along the routes.

A lot of busses in Vancouver are electric, although diesel busses still exist for some routes where cables aren't installed. There is currently a push to replace these with battery powered busses.

While this is true, keep in mind that only applies to the motor itself. The rest of the systems will still have to be maintained just like any ICE truck so the savings may not be all that significant. And that savings may be eaten up completely by the possible cost of battery replacements if Musk's optimistic longevity claims fall short of expectation in the real world.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [BI] Tesla's semi truck can be driven around 'like a sports car'