Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › alternatives to Asus QFan and Fan Xpert 4?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

alternatives to Asus QFan and Fan Xpert 4?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I have an Asus Maximus IX Hero and i7-7700k. Intel allows for a maximum junction temperature of 100 degrees C on that CPU. Yet both of the Asus fan apps force 100% fan speed at 75 degrees and up. I'd like to be able to ramp up to 100% only once I reach something like 90 or 95 deg.

So, can anyone suggest alternatives for custom curve fan control that are more flexible than the Asus QFan and Fan Xpert 4?
post #2 of 6
You can set custom curves using Speedfan, check google for screenshots and details. Note that you may have to disable fan control in the BIOS for the software control to work, so your fans will all run 100% during boot until you open Speedfan in Windows.
post #3 of 6
subbed
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RP... Western Digital WD Black WD2001FASS-0 2TB 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Black WD4003FZEX 4TB LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s Corsair HX750W 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... Antec EasySATA Internal HDD Dock 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RP... Western Digital WD Black WD2001FASS-0 2TB 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Black WD4003FZEX 4TB LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s Corsair HX750W 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... Antec EasySATA Internal HDD Dock 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by r9miner View Post

You can set custom curves using Speedfan, check google for screenshots and details. Note that you may have to disable fan control in the BIOS for the software control to work, so your fans will all run 100% during boot until you open Speedfan in Windows.

I looked into Speedfan a bit thanks to your post, but unfortunately it hasn't been updated in more than 2 years, and doesn't support the Z270 chipset.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysdawg View Post

I have an Asus Maximus IX Hero and i7-7700k. Intel allows for a maximum junction temperature of 100 degrees C on that CPU. Yet both of the Asus fan apps force 100% fan speed at 75 degrees and up. I'd like to be able to ramp up to 100% only once I reach something like 90 or 95 deg.

So, can anyone suggest alternatives for custom curve fan control that are more flexible than the Asus QFan and Fan Xpert 4?

When you cpu package reads 95 degrees, there may be parts of the cpu that are at a high temperature. You kinda don't want to hit 90-95 degrees on the package, 75 - 80 degrees seems like a good place to start ramping up fan speeds to stop temperatures climbing much higher.

What sort of cooler do you have, maybe look at a better one, with quieter fans smile.gif
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinFX View Post

When you cpu package reads 95 degrees, there may be parts of the cpu that are at a high temperature. You kinda don't want to hit 90-95 degrees on the package, 75 - 80 degrees seems like a good place to start ramping up fan speeds to stop temperatures climbing much higher.

What sort of cooler do you have, maybe look at a better one, with quieter fans smile.gif

Well I had in mind a gradual ramp to 100% fan speed, maybe going from 60% at 70 degrees to 100% at 95 degrees, but the software won't let me, it forces 100% at 75 degrees...this is on 3 Corsair ML140 fans...2000RPM so noisy...on a Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooler. Yes, If I can't find a software solution I'll have to go with some lower-RPM fans.
Edited by sysdawg - 5/3/17 at 3:10am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › alternatives to Asus QFan and Fan Xpert 4?