Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › SLI - serial / parallel / inlet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SLI - serial / parallel / inlet

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
What is the best way to connect two graphic cards (SLI) - serial or parallel?

Most time I found the Information, that a Serial connection is better - what are about the inlet? If I check the Serial Setup I found the following:



Why does this setup not used for Serial (every time inlet on the left side):



Any recommendations?
post #2 of 11
I suggest serial :
less clogging problem (the fluid is forced to pass trough both block, always)
the 2nd card will be a little hotter (irrelevant)

as for routing : usually gpu block don't have a specific IN and OUT, so the 1st routing is simpler
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG View Post

What is the best way to connect two graphic cards (SLI) - serial or parallel?

It doesn't matter for most scenarios - especially when only 2 GPUs are involved. Just go with what you think looks the best for your build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG View Post

Most time I found the Information, that a Serial connection is better

Then you have been reading or have been given incorrect information....smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG View Post

- what are about the inlet? If I check the Serial Setup I found the following:

Why does this setup not used for Serial (every time inlet on the left side):

Any recommendations?

Generally it is much harder (and does not look as good) to have a tubing crossover between the GPU cards.

So most opt to have the tubing run directly up/down rather than cross-over. Unless the GPU block has defined inlet/outlet ports then it does not matter which way the fluid flows within a GPU block.
Edited by Costas - 6/29/17 at 5:14am
Corsair 900D
(12 items)
 
Déjà vu
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Formula EVGA 980Ti Classified EVGA 980Ti Classified 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair CMD32GX4M4B3200C16 Samsung 512GB 950 Pro M2 Samsung 1TB 850 Pro Custom 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 ASUS PG278Q Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1500i 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Caselabs SMA8 Razer Deathadder 2013 On-Board Aquacomputer Aquaero 6XT 
  hide details  
Reply
Corsair 900D
(12 items)
 
Déjà vu
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7-6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Formula EVGA 980Ti Classified EVGA 980Ti Classified 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair CMD32GX4M4B3200C16 Samsung 512GB 950 Pro M2 Samsung 1TB 850 Pro Custom 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 ASUS PG278Q Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1500i 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Caselabs SMA8 Razer Deathadder 2013 On-Board Aquacomputer Aquaero 6XT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
The only reason I'd say parallel is better is because performance is the same as serial, but you'll have less flow restriction with parallel.

edit : fixed, mixed serial and parallel due to the lack of caffeine in my system xD
post #5 of 11
@ Duality92
it's the other way

parallel - less restriction, less flowrate per block, even temperature between GPUs if the flow is even, more sensitive to clogging: just a little will result in an uneven flow between blocks

serial - more restriction, same flowrate, 2nd GPU hotter*, less clogging problem because the fluid is forced to pass trough both block, always
* few degree hotter don't make any difference when you are waaaaaay below the temperature of an air cooler
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimico9 View Post

@ Duality92
it's the other way

parallel - less restriction, less flowrate per block, even temperature between GPUs if the flow is even, more sensitive to clogging: just a little will result in an uneven flow between blocks

serial - more restriction, same flowrate, 2nd GPU hotter*, less clogging problem because the fluid is forced to pass trough both block, always
* few degree hotter don't make any difference when you are waaaaaay below the temperature of an air cooler

Yeah that's what I meant, haven't had enough coffee yet xD, thanks tongue.gif
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post

Yeah that's what I meant, haven't had enough coffee yet xD, thanks tongue.gif
"My kid could've gotten killed"
xD xD
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimico9 View Post

"My kid could've gotten killed"
xD xD

wat?
post #9 of 11
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Hardcore pawn ?
Les Gold ?
"My kid could've gotten killed"
It isn't a meme in your country ?
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
@all - thanks for your feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimico9 View Post

@ Duality92
it's the other way

parallel - less restriction, less flowrate per block, even temperature between GPUs if the flow is even, more sensitive to clogging: just a little will result in an uneven flow between blocks

serial - more restriction, same flowrate, 2nd GPU hotter*, less clogging problem because the fluid is forced to pass trough both block, always
* few degree hotter don't make any difference when you are waaaaaay below the temperature of an air cooler

few degree hotter - do we speak from 0.5 to 1 degree or much more like 4-5 degrees?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › SLI - serial / parallel / inlet