Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Ryzen Threadripper Owners Club - 1950X | 1920X | 1900X
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper Owners Club - 1950X | 1920X | 1900X - Page 131

post #1301 of 2373
While I'm still waiting on any full cover block aside from the EK, my Bykski block seems to be doing quite nicely.

This is after a lot of heat soak. I've got all 4 1080 TI's mining at full throttle (300W+ per card), and the chip running in place FFT's on Prime95. This loop is a serial loop, so every bit of heat I generate will end up hitting the CPU if the rads don't remove it first.

At stock clocks I max out at 63C in this configuration, and the room is very uncomfortable as there are a few other machines also running in here 24x7 too biggrin.gif. Maybe if I was on a 1950X instead of a 1920X, temps would be hotter, but I don't think they would given what I'm running for radiators and fans.

I'm not quite at the limit of my power supply yet. I really miss my AX1500i but I needed the 1600P2 I traded it for to make this all work. I think I can crack 3.8 or 3.9ghz without running into trouble. Beyond that, any testing I do is not for 24x7 load. I do want to see if I can get to the HardOCP numbers, or if more pump (I'm running an MCP50x in addition to a PWM D5) and more radiator will keep me at 70C or below at or around 250-300W of load.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Myrna
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Threadripper 1920X Asrock X399 Taichi  Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 TI 4 Way SLI Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB 3466Mhz 
  hide details  
Reply
Myrna
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Threadripper 1920X Asrock X399 Taichi  Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 TI 4 Way SLI Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB 3466Mhz 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1302 of 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by chew* View Post

Electrically they are wired for 16x slots 1/3.

Electrically slots 2/4 are 8x.

Performance wise however in personal testing gen 3 vs 2 or 1 plays a bigger role performance wise then the difference from 16x/8x.

if that is the case why doe sit show as 16x then.
post #1303 of 2373
Ok, two days late (as I've assembled my build's "internals" on Monday, still waiting for the chassis) but I can finally and officially join the Threadripper (1920x in my case, I didn't manage to change my order to 1950x in time) owners club!

Noctua's cooler came back to me (again with 3 plates on the rad bent, but this time I simply bent them back as I didn't want to waste any more time, CPU and other stuff came to me on Friday even though I've specifically said I want them on Monday), assembled all the parts and voila, works without a problem. The XMP profile on my Flare X sticks works just fine as well, so at least I know all that money didn't go to waste. As soon as I'll have some more free time I'll try to OC it, see how far I can get with air cooling (and I'm curious about my chip, did I win or lose the silicon lottery).

I've seen that some ppl had problems with screw no. 1 on some boards (the ones with Foxcon-produced CPU slot I believe? so it's not Taichi specific). In my case, screw no. 1 (on the opposite side of the hinges) was fine, but... screws no. 2 and 3 are totally ****ed - I couldn't screw them at all, they were unscrewed when I first took out the board from the package. I'm slightly worried about this (should I be in a long run?), but I guess the cooler put additional pressure to that place as it works fine (no crashes in two days, but I must admit I haven't run like 24h stability test).

As for the temperatures with Noctuas NH-U14S (single fan for now, I'll attach the second one later), I'm not sure if they are any good. In Ryzen Masters I've seen them oscillating between 30 - 40C (Tdie) at idle or with some minor loads. The fan seems loud, but it's still not in the case so that might change. As for load temps, after a couple of Cinebench runs (score ~2400, I've seen better scores at stock in benchmarks so there might be a problem somewhere) were between 57-60 (max recorded was 63.3). After 10 minutes of AIDA64's stability test, max temp. was 64.0 (most of the time it stayed in range between 63.0 and 63.7C). As I said, will OC this beast once I have more time. I know I probably won't get far with air cooling, but I'm planning to replace it with X399 specific AIO once it's available here in Poland.
post #1304 of 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrryzen View Post

Ok, two days late (as I've assembled my build's "internals" on Monday, still waiting for the chassis) but I can finally and officially join the Threadripper (1920x in my case, I didn't manage to change my order to 1950x in time) owners club!

Noctua's cooler came back to me (again with 3 plates on the rad bent, but this time I simply bent them back as I didn't want to waste any more time, CPU and other stuff came to me on Friday even though I've specifically said I want them on Monday), assembled all the parts and voila, works without a problem. The XMP profile on my Flare X sticks works just fine as well, so at least I know all that money didn't go to waste. As soon as I'll have some more free time I'll try to OC it, see how far I can get with air cooling (and I'm curious about my chip, did I win or lose the silicon lottery).

I've seen that some ppl had problems with screw no. 1 on some boards (the ones with Foxcon-produced CPU slot I believe? so it's not Taichi specific). In my case, screw no. 1 (on the opposite side of the hinges) was fine, but... screws no. 2 and 3 are totally ****ed - I couldn't screw them at all, they were unscrewed when I first took out the board from the package. I'm slightly worried about this (should I be in a long run?), but I guess the cooler put additional pressure to that place as it works fine (no crashes in two days, but I must admit I haven't run like 24h stability test).

As for the temperatures with Noctuas NH-U14S (single fan for now, I'll attach the second one later), I'm not sure if they are any good. In Ryzen Masters I've seen them oscillating between 30 - 40C (Tdie) at idle or with some minor loads. The fan seems loud, but it's still not in the case so that might change. As for load temps, after a couple of Cinebench runs (score ~2400, I've seen better scores at stock in benchmarks so there might be a problem somewhere) were between 57-60 (max recorded was 63.3). After 10 minutes of AIDA64's stability test, max temp. was 64.0 (most of the time it stayed in range between 63.0 and 63.7C). As I said, will OC this beast once I have more time. I know I probably won't get far with air cooling, but I'm planning to replace it with X399 specific AIO once it's available here in Poland.

Those temps are quite good if you can keep them for an endurance test.

I've got a 1920x on a custom loop and 63C is the temp of my CPU under a torture test at stock settings. Just look a few posts up for screenshots if you want to see them biggrin.gif
Myrna
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Threadripper 1920X Asrock X399 Taichi  Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 TI 4 Way SLI Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB 3466Mhz 
  hide details  
Reply
Myrna
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Threadripper 1920X Asrock X399 Taichi  Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 TI 4 Way SLI Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB 3466Mhz 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1305 of 2373
As many of you may well know I am not a fan of high speeds and loose timings.....but since DR is such a pita I figured I would throw a bone to those who insist on banging there head against a wall.

Here is a baseline and as far as I have gotten getting DR over the 3200 wall.......it does not insta fail and drop threads in prime so it's a heck of a starting baseline for you.

What timings you can not see in RTC are included in the Aida 64 tab...they are fairly important.



Actually I pulled some timings in for you guys, once again its a start no clue how stable I will let this cook while I get some sleep......


Edited by chew* - 9/27/17 at 2:46am
post #1306 of 2373
Thanks chew, would you say that 8 SR (8x8GB) is easier to work with than 4 DR (4x16GB)? If you value low timings..
Infinity
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 3,4GHz Socket TR4 ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming MSI Vega 64 8GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-4200 C19 SR - 64GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD (512 GB) Calyos NSG S0 EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 1600W 220-... Calyos NSG S0 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Razor Firefly iFi Audio Micro iDSD Hifiman Edition X V2 
  hide details  
Reply
Infinity
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 3,4GHz Socket TR4 ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming MSI Vega 64 8GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-4200 C19 SR - 64GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD (512 GB) Calyos NSG S0 EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 1600W 220-... Calyos NSG S0 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Razor Firefly iFi Audio Micro iDSD Hifiman Edition X V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1307 of 2373
There's a formula somewhere out there for timings vs frequency. But I also believe that for threadripper, 3200mhz is the sweet spot before diminishing returns starts to hit? I sure wish I could get my 128gb kit to run at 3200 mhz, but it instantly drops threads in p95 :/

Have to settle for 3060mhz 14cas, still quite good tho!
post #1308 of 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyluckbox View Post

There's a formula somewhere out there for timings vs frequency. But I also believe that for threadripper, 3200mhz is the sweet spot before diminishing returns starts to hit? I sure wish I could get my 128gb kit to run at 3200 mhz, but it instantly drops threads in p95 :/

Have to settle for 3060mhz 14cas, still quite good tho!

Same experience as you, happyluckbox. I am using Asus ROG Zenith Extreme thou.

Regards.
post #1309 of 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavantStrike View Post

Those temps are quite good if you can keep them for an endurance test.

I've got a 1920x on a custom loop and 63C is the temp of my CPU under a torture test at stock settings. Just look a few posts up for screenshots if you want to see them biggrin.gif

Bad news (for me of course) - seems like both AIDA's stability test & Prime95 (RAM intensive) crash after about 90 minutes of benchmarking (hardware failure, not a hard OS reset). In case of Prime95, I've seen only a few of the worker threads to stop their jobs, while the others kept going further (probably because there were less stress on the CPU overall?).

Weird, because CPU temps did not exceed 65C. Should I try with lower RAM speed, or does it mean there's something wrong with my chip (it's on stock speeds)?
Edited by mrryzen - 9/27/17 at 9:28am
post #1310 of 2373
thread drops = unstable mem/imc that's why you see them in my screens to show they are not dropping.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Ryzen Threadripper Owners Club - 1950X | 1920X | 1900X