Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] Asus Strix Vega Tested
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] Asus Strix Vega Tested - Page 5

post #41 of 81
Thread Starter 
I think custom versions of the Vega 56 will be the card to buy for 1440p, the sweet spot resolution in my opinion.
This video is the most balanced overview so far :

post #42 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

If i was waiting for Vega and still on my 970 i'd be so salty to see it only competing with the 1070/1080. Glad i got the 1080 at launch though cause i've had Vega 64 levels of performance for over a year now. Waiting when it comes to PC hardware is never a great idea, you'll be waiting forever. I don't know how everyone doesn't understand this yet.

Seems to me you need to justify spending money on a 1080, which is absolutely fine, but saying that waiting for PC hardware is never a great idea is simply wrong.
First of all, only a handful of people really need an upgrade. Instead they want it. Therefor, spending money every 1-2 generations is unnecessary and so waiting would be much better because spending $400 in 2014 vs spending $400 in 2017 is quite a leap in GPUs.

Example: most people run 1080p, some run 1440p, very few run 4k. A 5 year old 7970 will do just fine on 1080p if you're willing to reduce eye candy by 10%. The same applies to a 3570k which is about the same age. 5 years of saving, gets you a great GPU now, instead of hopping from a 7970 > 290x > rx480 > Vega. Or it's Nvidia equivalent. Which would set you back beyond a thousand $.
Yes, those few that run 1440p might've gone slightly earlier, those on 4k pretty much doomed themselves when it comes to spending money because they simply need the performance to push that resolution.

Also, Vega might be a fail, and those who waited for it indeed waited for close to nothing. But nobody knows this beforehand, that would make it quite easy, wouldn't it?
Vega could've been amazing and top the competition for all we know. And then people would moan about not having waited.
I remember that happening when 980ti users wished they waited for 20 months on the 1080ti, which smashes it at roughly the same price point.

To each their own. I for one will use what i need and not give into what i want. Because sure, added fps is nice, but it's not really doing much beyond monitor refresh rate.
my 7950 gave up about 2 months ago, and it's been keeping me fed with frames for 5 years straight.i will wait for volta/navi and by then i'll be even more glad then i am now that i did/am waiting.
Allround PC
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G4560 MSI H110 Pro-VD 1050 Ti Crucial 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Western Digital Green Win 10 x64 DELL 1080p IPS 21.5" 
KeyboardPowerMouse PadAudio
Logitech K120 Antec 450W Steelpad QCK+ Bayerdynamic DT770 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Allround PC
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G4560 MSI H110 Pro-VD 1050 Ti Crucial 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Western Digital Green Win 10 x64 DELL 1080p IPS 21.5" 
KeyboardPowerMouse PadAudio
Logitech K120 Antec 450W Steelpad QCK+ Bayerdynamic DT770 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomizer View Post

  • That power has to become heat and sound. Both are bad.
  • Power costs money. In some places it's very expensive.
  • I have a 10 year old PSU and I will hang onto it until I can no longer find adapters for all of the missing connectors. tongue.gif

Not anywhere in the 1st world, which is where the market for these $500+ components is.
post #44 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatun-Bear View Post

Not anywhere in the 1st world, which is where the market for these $500+ components is.

Most of the top 10 most expensive countries to buy power are developed countries. In Australia (one of those countries) electricity prices rose by up to 20% last month. Granted, if you are struggling to pay bills you shouldn't be buying this hardware, but it's still something to consider over the long term.

Personally it's the extra heat that bothers me the most.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E GTX 560 Ti 448 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E GTX 560 Ti 448 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomizer View Post

  • That power has to become heat and sound. Both are bad.
  • Power costs money. In some places it's very expensive.
  • I have a 10 year old PSU and I will hang onto it until I can no longer find adapters for all of the missing connectors. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomizer View Post

Most of the top 10 most expensive countries to buy power are developed countries. In Australia (one of those countries) electricity prices rose by up to 20% last month. Granted, if you are struggling to pay bills you shouldn't be buying this hardware, but it's still something to consider over the long term.

Personally it's the extra heat that bothers me the most.

Im in one of those expensive and hot places.

If you can afford the card the value it raises the power bill is nada.
I include the cost to run with the need for AC, so im not noticing any increased heat in my place.

The only thing preventing me from getting the 64 is the paper launch.


Ps: you really should change that psu capacitors degrade.
Edited by iTurn - 8/19/17 at 10:21am
Project OP
(13 items)
 
 
Compooter too
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4690k  MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 Kingston HyperX 8GB(2x4) Black 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 8GB(2x4) White Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Lightscribe 24x DVDrw Corsair H100i v2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 LG 25UM57 2560 X 1080 60Hz IPS SilverStone Strider plus SST ST1000-P Corsair Carbide 400c White 
Other
Swiftech 8W-PWM 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x Asus x370 crosshair VI Hero ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 TI G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 m.2 256GB  Crucial MX300 1TB SATA 2.5 HP DVD1070 Corsair H115i 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
Corsair ML140 Pro White (x7) Gnome Tech 560W/mk SSD Heatsink Windows 10 Home EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD 
CaseOther
Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900  CableMod PSU Cabling 
  hide details  
Reply
Project OP
(13 items)
 
 
Compooter too
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4690k  MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 Kingston HyperX 8GB(2x4) Black 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 8GB(2x4) White Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Lightscribe 24x DVDrw Corsair H100i v2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 LG 25UM57 2560 X 1080 60Hz IPS SilverStone Strider plus SST ST1000-P Corsair Carbide 400c White 
Other
Swiftech 8W-PWM 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x Asus x370 crosshair VI Hero ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 TI G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 m.2 256GB  Crucial MX300 1TB SATA 2.5 HP DVD1070 Corsair H115i 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
Corsair ML140 Pro White (x7) Gnome Tech 560W/mk SSD Heatsink Windows 10 Home EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD 
CaseOther
Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900  CableMod PSU Cabling 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseen0 View Post

Seems to me you need to justify spending money on a 1080, which is absolutely fine, but saying that waiting for PC hardware is never a great idea is simply wrong.
First of all, only a handful of people really need an upgrade. Instead they want it. Therefor, spending money every 1-2 generations is unnecessary and so waiting would be much better because spending $400 in 2014 vs spending $400 in 2017 is quite a leap in GPUs.

Example: most people run 1080p, some run 1440p, very few run 4k. A 5 year old 7970 will do just fine on 1080p if you're willing to reduce eye candy by 10%. The same applies to a 3570k which is about the same age. 5 years of saving, gets you a great GPU now, instead of hopping from a 7970 > 290x > rx480 > Vega. Or it's Nvidia equivalent. Which would set you back beyond a thousand $.
Yes, those few that run 1440p might've gone slightly earlier, those on 4k pretty much doomed themselves when it comes to spending money because they simply need the performance to push that resolution.

Also, Vega might be a fail, and those who waited for it indeed waited for close to nothing. But nobody knows this beforehand, that would make it quite easy, wouldn't it?
Vega could've been amazing and top the competition for all we know. And then people would moan about not having waited.
I remember that happening when 980ti users wished they waited for 20 months on the 1080ti, which smashes it at roughly the same price point.

To each their own. I for one will use what i need and not give into what i want. Because sure, added fps is nice, but it's not really doing much beyond monitor refresh rate.
my 7950 gave up about 2 months ago, and it's been keeping me fed with frames for 5 years straight.i will wait for volta/navi and by then i'll be even more glad then i am now that i did/am waiting.

I don't have to justify anything, i'm stating a fact. If you wait for something better around the corner where pc hardware is concerned you'll never stop waiting because there will always be something better later. Most of us here are enthusiasts and spend a lot of money on hardware. That's not to say you can't be an enthusiast and have a budget. You simply buy the best you can get with the money you have to spare. The fact that AMD is late to the party by over a year vs nvidia and only offering performance comparable to the 1070/1080 which have been out for over a year is disappointing especially for those who waited.

The last time Nvidia and AMD was on the same page was with the 700 series from NV and the 200 series from AMD. Anyone that bought a 290x at the time made a great choice as that card is still very relevant today if you're not worried about the best performance. With the release of Vega 290x owners finally have a reason to upgrade if they want. Point being AMD hasn't offered any significant performance increase in GPUs since 2013 until now, took almost 4 years for Vega.

Myself being on a 1440p 165hz monitor im content with the 1080. I wish more reviews tested GPUs in games with the presets on high vs ultra. Typically there is little visual difference but a huge performance boost running on high.
Malinka Kalinka
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k 4.2GHz MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Asus GTX 980 Ti Strix G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 6 140mm Fractal Design Case Fans Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2417DG CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i  Cooler Master V750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 
MouseAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Chroma Philips Fidelio X2 Logitech Z623 200 W 2.1 Speaker System 
  hide details  
Reply
Malinka Kalinka
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k 4.2GHz MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Asus GTX 980 Ti Strix G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 6 140mm Fractal Design Case Fans Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2417DG CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i  Cooler Master V750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 
MouseAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Chroma Philips Fidelio X2 Logitech Z623 200 W 2.1 Speaker System 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 81
"waiting for PC hardware is never a great idea" is not a fact. It applies some times, not always.
Waiting on intel's 5% ipc shenanigans is indeed a bad idea. Waiting for Ryzen however, has been absolutely worthwhile for both intel and amd consumers. Fire's lit under intel's ass, pricewars and performance boosts across all platforms from budget to hedt.

That said, anyone makes their own decisions on what they purchase and i won't judge them for it. I prefer waiting for a significant boost before i lay down hundreds of euros. Others give into the "upgrade munchies" sooner and spend a lot more even if they don't really need it. It's all good.
Allround PC
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G4560 MSI H110 Pro-VD 1050 Ti Crucial 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Western Digital Green Win 10 x64 DELL 1080p IPS 21.5" 
KeyboardPowerMouse PadAudio
Logitech K120 Antec 450W Steelpad QCK+ Bayerdynamic DT770 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Allround PC
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G4560 MSI H110 Pro-VD 1050 Ti Crucial 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Western Digital Green Win 10 x64 DELL 1080p IPS 21.5" 
KeyboardPowerMouse PadAudio
Logitech K120 Antec 450W Steelpad QCK+ Bayerdynamic DT770 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 81
This is interesting:

post #49 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTurn View Post

Ps: you really should change that psu capacitors degrade.

Another reason to make sure that my new hardware uses less power than the the hardware it replaces thumb.gif I'm not really concerned about this to be honest. If the caps were aging enough to cause a drop in output of even 4% per year I'd already have run into trouble, so it can't be too bad.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E GTX 560 Ti 448 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 MSI X58 Pro-E GTX 560 Ti 448 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
840 Pro Caviar Black LG BD-ROM Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2713HM Dell U2311H Turbo-Trak (Google it :D) Corsair HX-520 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM690 Mionix Avior 7000 Everglide Titan AKG K 242 HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomizer View Post

Another reason to make sure that my new hardware uses less power than the the hardware it replaces thumb.gif I'm not really concerned about this to be honest. If the caps were aging enough to cause a drop in output of even 4% per year I'd already have run into trouble, so it can't be too bad.

Ageing caps will increase ripple and make for larger load transents. They shouldn't effect DC output voltage all that much. You won't really see trouble untill you have odd instablities.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] Asus Strix Vega Tested