Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › New Build help me fill in the blanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Build help me fill in the blanks - Page 2

post #11 of 31
The EVGA SuperNova G3 is known for being very loud when used in hybrid fan mode because of its very aggressive fan profile
That means the G3 is much louder then the G2 when used in hybrid fan mode

You are better off re-using your old G2 or getting something else instead
And you dont need a 750 watt PSU for a system that draws less then 350 watts unless you have plans for SLI

And dont get a rubbish CLC cooler
http://www.overclock.net/t/1590547/why-you-should-probably-not-buy-a-clc-cooler

Get a good air cooler or a better AIO kit from Alphacool or EK.
Edited by shilka - 8/26/17 at 1:46am
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 x2 Dali Opticon 1 
AudioOtherOther
Dali E12 F Subwoofer CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 x2 Dali Opticon 1 
AudioOtherOther
Dali E12 F Subwoofer CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 31
Honestly if your not getting a CPU with more cores or at least mutithreading then you are more less side grading. I would send that I5 back without even opening the box. Your current I5 is just as capable and it is money wasted buying basically a new stepping of the same CPU.

My I7 3770k is still serving me well but my I5 3570k it starting to show it's age especially in games and apps that use more than 4 threads. More and more games and apps are starting to take advantage of this due to the market being flooded with new competition in this area.

Also intel is going to release a new refresh of CPU to compete with AMD's R5 and R7 CPU's that offer more cores and threads to the mainstream segment. This should also bring down prices of anything with less than 4 cores and 8 threads as the mainstream moves more towards multi threading.
RYZEN
(12 items)
 
Sintel
(13 items)
 
Spare Parts
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770k @ 4.7 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ASUS GTX 1080 Strix Samsung 30nm 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO 500Gb HGST Deskstar 2Tb Samsung SH-B123L Blu-ray 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair H110i GT Windows 7 64bit 60" Sharp Aquos 1080p 120Hz Corsair AX860 
Case
Corsair 750D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 3570k @ 4.5GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Radeon RX480 Strix OC Samsung Wonder RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX200 Samsung Blu-ray Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 58" 4K  Corsair CX 750 Thermaltake Core P3 
  hide details  
Reply
RYZEN
(12 items)
 
Sintel
(13 items)
 
Spare Parts
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770k @ 4.7 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ASUS GTX 1080 Strix Samsung 30nm 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO 500Gb HGST Deskstar 2Tb Samsung SH-B123L Blu-ray 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair H110i GT Windows 7 64bit 60" Sharp Aquos 1080p 120Hz Corsair AX860 
Case
Corsair 750D 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 3570k @ 4.5GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Radeon RX480 Strix OC Samsung Wonder RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX200 Samsung Blu-ray Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 58" 4K  Corsair CX 750 Thermaltake Core P3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 31
^^^This

I'd return the CPU, upgrade the cooling and chassis and GPU and call it a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Get a good air cooler or a better AIO kit from Alphacool or EK.
i think you meant Swiftech, EK stopped selling those units smile.gif
finally quiet
(20 items)
 
Peggy
(11 items)
 
Betty - WIP
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 3.8 + turbo MSI P55-GD80 MSI GTX 970 Golden Edition 16GB Tactical LP 1600 c8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB OCZ Agility 60GB Spinpoint F3 1TB Noctua NH-U12P SE2 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
2x NF-P12, CPU OS X 10.10, 8.1 Ultimate Asus VW246H Ergotron Neo-Flex 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quick Fire Rapid EVGA Supernova G2 850W Silverstone FT-02W CM Spawn 
AudioAudioAudio
Sony TA-AX380 Sennheiser HD 280 KLH 911B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2125 GA-H61N USB3 HD3000 8GB Samsung Miracle RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston 60GB 3ware/LSI 9750-4i Hitachi 5k3000 2TB x4 RAID 5 Intel for now 
OSPowerCase
OS X 10.8.2 Corsiar CX430M Fractal Design Node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2100 ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM ASUS Passive GT 440 4GB Dominator 1600 c8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Hitachi 120GB 2.5" LG BR-RW CM GeminII S + NF-P12 2x NF-R8 - Intake 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
NF-B9 Windows 7 Sony KDL-46NX700 MK700 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec EA-650 Zalman HD160XT, Modded MK700 Yamaha RX-V373 
  hide details  
Reply
finally quiet
(20 items)
 
Peggy
(11 items)
 
Betty - WIP
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 3.8 + turbo MSI P55-GD80 MSI GTX 970 Golden Edition 16GB Tactical LP 1600 c8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB OCZ Agility 60GB Spinpoint F3 1TB Noctua NH-U12P SE2 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
2x NF-P12, CPU OS X 10.10, 8.1 Ultimate Asus VW246H Ergotron Neo-Flex 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quick Fire Rapid EVGA Supernova G2 850W Silverstone FT-02W CM Spawn 
AudioAudioAudio
Sony TA-AX380 Sennheiser HD 280 KLH 911B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2125 GA-H61N USB3 HD3000 8GB Samsung Miracle RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston 60GB 3ware/LSI 9750-4i Hitachi 5k3000 2TB x4 RAID 5 Intel for now 
OSPowerCase
OS X 10.8.2 Corsiar CX430M Fractal Design Node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2100 ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM ASUS Passive GT 440 4GB Dominator 1600 c8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Hitachi 120GB 2.5" LG BR-RW CM GeminII S + NF-P12 2x NF-R8 - Intake 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
NF-B9 Windows 7 Sony KDL-46NX700 MK700 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec EA-650 Zalman HD160XT, Modded MK700 Yamaha RX-V373 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by claes View Post

^^^This

I'd return the CPU, upgrade the cooling and chassis and GPU and call it a day.
i think you meant Swiftech, EK stopped selling those units smile.gif
No i meant EK as the Swiftech kits have problems with leaks

If EK dont make their kits either then its either Alphacool or air cooling
http://www.alphacool.com/alphacool/de-eisbaer
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 x2 Dali Opticon 1 
AudioOtherOther
Dali E12 F Subwoofer CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 x2 Dali Opticon 1 
AudioOtherOther
Dali E12 F Subwoofer CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 31
Thread Starter 
Well honestly Im not changing cpu,s to get a huge upgrade in that department, I am currently running a 4690k had to look, I thought it was a 4660... so this is 3.5GHZ vs 3.8GHZ on the 7600k not a big upgrade but its something... I am upgrading this more because I wanted a new motherboard that offered wifi and bluetooth which my current Hero 7 board does not have... Also DDR3 to DDR4... So yes for me that is a significant upgrade... Thanks guys I will look into Alphacool and as far as the EVGA G3 everything I have read has been positive reviews so I guess I will have to dig deeper on that, But I always run 750 watt PSU because I run a lot of hard drives and Previously I did have SLI... I could maybe step down 100 watts on this build though because SLI aint gonna happen. Thanks a lot for your input.
DeadPool
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 8700k Asus Z370E Asus GTX 1080TI Strix G Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 6TB Samsung Evo 850 1 TB NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Home 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow EVGA Supernova 750G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, TG Razer Mamba Tournament Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound 
  hide details  
Reply
DeadPool
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 8700k Asus Z370E Asus GTX 1080TI Strix G Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 6TB Samsung Evo 850 1 TB NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Home 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow EVGA Supernova 750G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, TG Razer Mamba Tournament Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarterTown View Post

Well honestly Im not changing cpu,s to get a huge upgrade in that department, I am currently running a 4690k had to look, I thought it was a 4660... so this is 3.5GHZ vs 3.8GHZ on the 7600k not a big upgrade but its something... I am upgrading this more because I wanted a new motherboard that offered wifi and bluetooth which my current Hero 7 board does not have... Also DDR3 to DDR4... So yes for me that is a significant upgrade... Thanks guys I will look into Alphacool and as far as the EVGA G3 everything I have read has been positive reviews so I guess I will have to dig deeper on that, But I always run 750 watt PSU because I run a lot of hard drives and Previously I did have SLI... I could maybe step down 100 watts on this build though because SLI aint gonna happen. Thanks a lot for your input.
Your points to justify the upgrade to yourself are not really strong enough to warrant building a new system at the price vs performance increase. There really isnt a performance increase in going to DDR4 from DDR3, and you can buy inexpensive PCIe wifi/bluetooth adapters...

If you are going to spend money to build a new system, build it so that it will last a few more years without needing an upgrade. Quad cores are moving to the low end, everything is being coded for more threads. I would not get a z270 so late in the game, but wait out for the z370/coffee lake and get the 6 core i5. Building a new system around something that is a sidegrade over your old system seems to be a waste. Buy a wifi card for $40, use it for a few months, then evaluate the new CPUs when they release. Or get a 7700k instead of the 7600k.

Most cross platform games are being coded for 8 cores that the consoles have. This has shown in many of the newer titles that having more than 4 cores is beneficial. Buying a 4c chip now is like buying a 2c chip in 2009. It doesnt matter what clocks you can get it up to, you will suffer on new titles and will be stuck only able to play the older titles or needing to upgrade again. I built up a core 2 duo in late 2009, and for the games at the time and earlier it ran great. In 2010 they really started developing more multithreaded games.... I tried to play a game with my brother, and it just socked, even with the graphics turned all the way down to look like 3dmark01.

While you cannot future proof a build, you can try to ensure that it remains relevant with the current trends in development. This is why you see the x58 6C Xeon systems still being relevant, while even current i3 systems are really suffering regardless of clock speed. We needed unlocked i3s 4 years ago.... getting them this year, they were already obsolete, so kind of a smack in the face.
Edited by EMUracing - 8/26/17 at 8:56pm
post #17 of 31
doh.gif like this Emuracing.
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5151 View Post

doh.gif like this Emuracing.
yep... exactly like that.

I would also either go big air with a high airflow chassis, or custom loop. For me, CLC are really only suited for small form factor cases that cannot support big air coolers, or difficulty fitting custom loops
Edited by EMUracing - 8/26/17 at 9:20pm
post #19 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMUracing View Post

Your points to justify the upgrade to yourself are not really strong enough to warrant building a new system at the price vs performance increase. There really isnt a performance increase in going to DDR4 from DDR3, and you can buy inexpensive PCIe wifi/bluetooth adapters...

If you are going to spend money to build a new system, build it so that it will last a few more years without needing an upgrade. Quad cores are moving to the low end, everything is being coded for more threads. I would not get a z270 so late in the game, but wait out for the z370/coffee lake and get the 6 core i5. Building a new system around something that is a sidegrade over your old system seems to be a waste. Buy a wifi card for $40, use it for a few months, then evaluate the new CPUs when they release. Or get a 7700k instead of the 7600k.

Most cross platform games are being coded for 8 cores that the consoles have. This has shown in many of the newer titles that having more than 4 cores is beneficial. Buying a 4c chip now is like buying a 2c chip in 2009. It doesnt matter what clocks you can get it up to, you will suffer on new titles and will be stuck only able to play the older titles or needing to upgrade again. I built up a core 2 duo in late 2009, and for the games at the time and earlier it ran great. In 2010 they really started developing more multithreaded games.... I tried to play a game with my brother, and it just socked, even with the graphics turned all the way down to look like 3dmark01.

While you cannot future proof a build, you can try to ensure that it remains relevant with the current trends in development. This is why you see the x58 6C Xeon systems still being relevant, while even current i3 systems are really suffering regardless of clock speed. We needed unlocked i3s 4 years ago.... getting them this year, they were already obsolete, so kind of a smack in the face.

While I can appreciate your knowledge and help there is more to this then meets the eye... I aint rich, so when there is enough money to do a build I do a build... There is no "Wait for this or wait for that" because by the time the future stuff is released I may not have money to build and will be stuck kicking myself for not doing it while I had the chance. Going from a 970 to a 1080 is going to be a vast improvement for me and taking advantage of wifi and blutooth I dont have now is something I am pursuing.. Add on chips are hokey and never perform the same as built in... I was going to upgrade at first but then I realized this would be my third build in the same case and running the same air cooler from 2012.... It just doesnt make sense to keep rocking the old at this point, there have been so many improvements on things... and lets face it you are telling me not to build with 2017 components because there will be new components in 2018...well...lol there will be more new stuff every year so which year is it I should build in? 2042? Not trying to sound like an ass and sarcasm doesnt translate well in text but rest assured I am half kidding... The time for my build is now, not next year.
DeadPool
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 8700k Asus Z370E Asus GTX 1080TI Strix G Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 6TB Samsung Evo 850 1 TB NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Home 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow EVGA Supernova 750G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, TG Razer Mamba Tournament Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound 
  hide details  
Reply
DeadPool
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 8700k Asus Z370E Asus GTX 1080TI Strix G Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 6TB Samsung Evo 850 1 TB NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Home 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow EVGA Supernova 750G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, TG Razer Mamba Tournament Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 31
Thread Starter 
There is always a new generation just around the corner... Every build I have done has been crushed by the next generation. Will this years components be obsolete in 2020? maybe they will or maybe they wont but I will worry about that in 2020... thumb.gif
DeadPool
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 8700k Asus Z370E Asus GTX 1080TI Strix G Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 6TB Samsung Evo 850 1 TB NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Home 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow EVGA Supernova 750G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, TG Razer Mamba Tournament Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound 
  hide details  
Reply
DeadPool
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 8700k Asus Z370E Asus GTX 1080TI Strix G Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 6TB Samsung Evo 850 1 TB NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Home 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow EVGA Supernova 750G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, TG Razer Mamba Tournament Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › New Build help me fill in the blanks