Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCGAMER] PUBG exec contemplating 'further action' over Fortnite Battle Royale similarities
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCGAMER] PUBG exec contemplating 'further action' over Fortnite Battle Royale similarities - Page 7

post #61 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikei View Post

The VP is not claiming they own the BR format, they are concerned it was epic that made the move to create the mode due to their very close relationship with the game and the code. Epic going behind their back and creating the mode with no prior discussion and using official ads ( vp is claiming) with pubg in it. BH no longer trusts epic from what im reading. Epic has yet to reach out to BH, so the saga continues.

While it is a possibility, basically, they don't own the idea of pvp last man standing mode.
The same as every MMO-PRG has big raids, small raids, group events, etc etc, and basically a copy paste of WoW in many aspects, blizzard don't also own the original idea even though they were the ones who brought it to the huge masses in what we know now.
So using their idea to make a game, if that was sueable, you can basically sue about 99% of available games.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSomPa View Post

The discussion is not really about who invented what... I don't know why you keep constructing the argument as if we're claiming that PU invented BattleRoyale. We're not, but he did create the Battle Royale genre.

Are you OK, was alcohol involved at the time of your writing this?

I keep making the claim that people like you say PUBG invented the Genre, because that is EXACTLY what you are doing. See the above bold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSomPa View Post

Not because he created the concept, but his implementation was good enough to spawn a myriad of clones that were derivative of his particular take on, "King of the Hill". Which is a gameplay concept that existed before video games.

PUBG itself is a derivative of an idea, and didn't spawn anything else. Is it the modern success story for this genre? It is currently the largest active.

That doesn't mean it created anything.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSomPa View Post

And yes, some of that success is because of their take on marketing and social interaction, but a large part of PUBG's success is also because of the their own game design.

Yes, PUBG's success is due to how they are marketing and offering this particular genre, no one has contested that point....not once. As for their own game design, it is weak and average at best, and clearly being developed by newer developers.

Not a disparaging comment, but one of fact. When someone is knew at doing something, they won't be as good as someone who has been doing it for years. That thing called experience......

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSomPa View Post

Mate, you gotta relax a little before you go around calling people blind. I made the effort to be courteous and to avoid any offensive innuendo, I'd appreciate the same.

No offensive innuendo provided. You, in your own very opening statement that I am quoting above at the start of this reply. You, alone, in one breath agree they didn't create anything, only to immediately state they created the genre. Come now.......that is just being blind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSomPa View Post

There really wasn't that much LoL marketing. In fact, most players played it because their friends played it. I certainly did not get into League of Legends because of eSports. eSports is a player retention tool, not necessarily a marketing tool for new players.

Wait, you want to compare League of Legends at its start, without the marketing and the like, to PUBG with all its marketing, after getting it?

You do realize that PUBG started out smaller than even Riot Games, right? That until attention was focused on it, like every other product in the World, it didn't take off. You get that right? You understand in this comment you are comparing a game at its launch almost 10 years ago, to a game at its peak currently.

applaud.gif

Oh, the part about eSports not being a Marketing tool. Golden! Just Golden!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSomPa View Post

Well there is the innuendo that PUBG is unoriginal and not very good, and only successful because of their marketing. It's a little bit insulting to players who genuinely enjoy the gameplay and don't watch a minute of twitch.

Again, no innuendo here, especially one that PUBG isn't original. PUBG isn't original, I don't have to beat around that bush, I didn't think I was. There is no slighted comment here, PUBG is far from original. Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSomPa View Post

And there's also a first person mode that's been out for a couple of months now.

Yes, force yourself into the First Person only mode because the developer is too lazy to implement a Camera collision detection system, preventing people from ghosting through walls. How is that a great developer choice?

"My game is objectively, outright, unfavorably broken due to a camera mechanic. I won't fix that, instead telling people to play a different mode."

I can't count how many times I have seen people Rage Quit because someone was ghosting them in 3rd through a door or wall.


You are blowing up and acting like I have something emotionally invested into this, when I don't. Everything I have said has been objective and even repeated by yourself, granted you immediately turn around and contradict yourself.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 253
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

While it is a possibility, basically, they don't own the idea of pvp last man standing mode.
The same as every MMO-PRG has big raids, small raids, group events, etc etc, and basically a copy paste of WoW in many aspects, blizzard don't also own the original idea even though they were the ones who brought it to the huge masses in what we know now.
So using their idea to make a game, if that was sueable, you can basically sue about 99% of available games.

BH did back track a little regarding the 'replicate' statement, but i think they just wanted to express the discourtesy of epic not giving them a heads up. The meat of the matter regards the promotional material. Part of it is in the OP. Can BH sue from the contents in that vid? Did playerunkown copyright that tag line at the end?
R7 1700
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RYZEN 1700 ASROCK AB350 GAMING K4 ZOTAC 1080TI REFERENCE MODEL G SKILL 8 GIG (2X) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WESTERN DIGITAL 250 M.2 2280 WINDOWS 10 64 CORSAIR SF600 LIAN LI PC-O10 
  hide details  
Reply
R7 1700
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RYZEN 1700 ASROCK AB350 GAMING K4 ZOTAC 1080TI REFERENCE MODEL G SKILL 8 GIG (2X) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WESTERN DIGITAL 250 M.2 2280 WINDOWS 10 64 CORSAIR SF600 LIAN LI PC-O10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin Goo View Post

Prove otherwise. It didn't gain traction until STREAMERS who got in on the closed beta started playing it.

"Prove it" is not a valid response. With responses like that, you've already lost this debate. If you're a fan of the game, that's cool, but you can't argue with the logic. Minecraft blew up because of youtube, as did Call of Duty, CS:GO, DOTA2, LoL etc. It's not uncommon. Fact is, it's a mediocre game that got traction from a winning marketing campaign, and now they're afraid cause AAA developers are going to start throwing their take in the arena. Now that want to say they own the genre. Now they're rethinking all of their bad decisions (like banning people for supposed stream sniping without solid proof, just because a streamer said it it happened). Stop being in denial.

Like I said before, if DICE made their own battle royale game on frostbite? PUBG would be irreparably whiffed.

wait wut, call of duty blew up from you tube? headscratch.gif
Aurora B
(18 photos)
  
Reply
Aurora B
(18 photos)
  
Reply
post #65 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post

That's what happens when an online game becomes extremely popular; more "toxic" (I really dislike that appreciation, but whatever) players are active, and they're always more vocal. It has absolutely nothing to do with the game. Try to matchmake in european servers and all you'll get is some russian troll playing techno music from the 90's.

It's not the game's fault; you're not distinguishing both concepts.

Also, as an addendum, you can just turn off non-team voice chat. The example you gave as a con of the game is absolutely a non-issue.

It is the developer's fault when they allow such behavior to go unpunished and run rampant. Taking no action against these players is the same as encouraging it and only allows the infection to fester and worsen over time. I've been gaming a long time and am no stranger to this sort of behavior, but it's a huge turn-off when it's so rampant.

Also, what qualms do you have with the word 'toxic'? It perfectly described what they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster View Post

3 : extremely harsh, malicious, or harmful
post #66 of 253
I love how people are defending PUBG like they created some amazing recipe here. Ill remind everyone battle royal was here years before pubg. Pubg got big do to its streaming and fandom. I like the game and play it, but its so badly done its a pathetic excuse of a "good" game programming wise. I mean the game still has what a 30 tick rate? Glaring map issues with floating rocks, you die if a car touches you while moving slightly. Most of the code I see in this game was done lazily. I could list bugs for days, and yet the devs think it's a good idea to test micro transactions over fixing those issues. Im hoping someone better comes along and makes a better version. I get why people play, I just don't get the loyalty. They charged money for a game that is not finished.
Upgrayedd
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700 @ 3.95GHz 1.387v Asus Prime B350 Plus  RX480 XFX RS 1350/2200 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2933Mhz cas 14 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Windows 10 pro x64 Viotek curved FHD 144Hz EVGA 750w 80 Bronze 
  hide details  
Reply
Upgrayedd
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1700 @ 3.95GHz 1.387v Asus Prime B350 Plus  RX480 XFX RS 1350/2200 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2933Mhz cas 14 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Windows 10 pro x64 Viotek curved FHD 144Hz EVGA 750w 80 Bronze 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

I love how people are defending PUBG like they created some amazing recipe here. Ill remind everyone battle royal was here years before pubg. Pubg got big do to its streaming and fandom. I like the game and play it, but its so badly done its a pathetic excuse of a "good" game programming wise. I mean the game still has what a 30 tick rate? Glaring map issues with floating rocks, you die if a car touches you while moving slightly. Most of the code I see in this game was done lazily. I could list bugs for days, and yet the devs think it's a good idea to test micro transactions over fixing those issues. Im hoping someone better comes along and makes a better version. I get why people play, I just don't get the loyalty. They charged money for a game that is not finished.
I agree with the general sentiment. PUBG is the most popular because it's a streamer favourite and the best implementation so far, but performance, graphics and various gameplay issues still leave quite a bit to be desired, despite being better than many of the previous attempts. They've made reasonable progress since launch, but completely fixing those is most likely never going to happen.
post #68 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owari View Post

It is the developer's fault when they allow such behavior to go unpunished and run rampant. Taking no action against these players is the same as encouraging it and only allows the infection to fester and worsen over time. I've been gaming a long time and am no stranger to this sort of behavior, but it's a huge turn-off when it's so rampant.

Also, what qualms do you have with the word 'toxic'? It perfectly described what they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster View Post

3 : extremely harsh, malicious, or harmful
My qualms with evaluating players as "toxic" is not the semantics of the word itself; it's the fact that it's felt necessary be used.

Things shouted by players in voice comms are only as harmful as people listening want them to be. It reveals a problem that I mentioned in my previous post. If you think some 12 yo is "toxic", you're an active participant in the victim culture.

Frankly, judging by what I've been reading and hearing, the european community of most games is a little more mature than the american counterpart, but that doesn't detract from my point. I don't understand why anyone would allow someone else so much power. Who the hell cares what some random says? And expecting the developers to undertake the gargantuan task of policing speech inside the game when their resources OBVIOUSLY need to be directed to further improving the game (as it's far from release ready from a performance standpoint) is naive.

No one is that fragile. Adapt.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TBD Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Zowie EC2-A Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TBD Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Zowie EC2-A Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin Goo View Post

Prove otherwise. It didn't gain traction until STREAMERS who got in on the closed beta started playing it.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden_of_proof_(philosophy)
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Asus z87AR R9 290 4GB Sapphire Tri-X Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Black Corsair 240GB SSD Asus crappy drive Windows 8 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 1080p 24" IPS Panel Ducky Shining Red Cherry MX [Blue LED] 700 Watt Cooler Master PSU Cooler Master Storm Scout 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech 502 Proteus Core Steelseries 4HD Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Asus z87AR R9 290 4GB Sapphire Tri-X Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Black Corsair 240GB SSD Asus crappy drive Windows 8 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 1080p 24" IPS Panel Ducky Shining Red Cherry MX [Blue LED] 700 Watt Cooler Master PSU Cooler Master Storm Scout 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech 502 Proteus Core Steelseries 4HD Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Oh, another Apple analogy....

What did PUBG do different over other BR games in terms of play/mechancis?

*crickets*

It isn't even the first mediocre video game to try and jump on the Hunger Games train. It is a vanilla BR experience with issues that show how young the developers are, it isn't some second coming like people claim it to be. The key to PUBG is that the developers knew they couldn't break any ground on game play, but they could break ground on how viewers watch. Funny enough, TB has a great video about this topic.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


By comparison, what did the first iPhone do? Multi-gesture touch, ditching the fixed keyboard all other devices had. Video support, audio support, camera...etc. The original iPhone was an extreme departure in both form and function compared to the leading devices of the time.

Why do people keep pretending that 10 years ago the iPhone looked like every other phone? Stop!

PUBG took a known solid formula and approached it from the social aspect of it, which is obviously damn smart. They are rolling in cash! They basically did what Riot Games with League of Legends did around MOBA, far from inventing it, hardly strayed from the original. They just made it accessible for players and viewers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

PUBG didn't start a single thing. PUBG is another TwitchBaby asset flip that managed to get big due to Streaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Are you OK, was alcohol involved at the time of your writing this?

I keep making the claim that people like you say PUBG invented the Genre, because that is EXACTLY what you are doing. See the above bold.
PUBG itself is a derivative of an idea, and didn't spawn anything else. Is it the modern success story for this genre? It is currently the largest active.

That doesn't mean it created anything.......
Yes, PUBG's success is due to how they are marketing and offering this particular genre, no one has contested that point....not once. As for their own game design, it is weak and average at best, and clearly being developed by newer developers.

Not a disparaging comment, but one of fact. When someone is knew at doing something, they won't be as good as someone who has been doing it for years. That thing called experience......
No offensive innuendo provided. You, in your own very opening statement that I am quoting above at the start of this reply. You, alone, in one breath agree they didn't create anything, only to immediately state they created the genre. Come now.......that is just being blind.
Wait, you want to compare League of Legends at its start, without the marketing and the like, to PUBG with all its marketing, after getting it?

You do realize that PUBG started out smaller than even Riot Games, right? That until attention was focused on it, like every other product in the World, it didn't take off. You get that right? You understand in this comment you are comparing a game at its launch almost 10 years ago, to a game at its peak currently.

applaud.gif

Oh, the part about eSports not being a Marketing tool. Golden! Just Golden!!!
Again, no innuendo here, especially one that PUBG isn't original. PUBG isn't original, I don't have to beat around that bush, I didn't think I was. There is no slighted comment here, PUBG is far from original. Period.
Yes, force yourself into the First Person only mode because the developer is too lazy to implement a Camera collision detection system, preventing people from ghosting through walls. How is that a great developer choice?

"My game is objectively, outright, unfavorably broken due to a camera mechanic. I won't fix that, instead telling people to play a different mode."

I can't count how many times I have seen people Rage Quit because someone was ghosting them in 3rd through a door or wall.


You are blowing up and acting like I have something emotionally invested into this, when I don't. Everything I have said has been objective and even repeated by yourself, granted you immediately turn around and contradict yourself.

Finally someone...I love you redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin Goo View Post

Prove otherwise. It didn't gain traction until STREAMERS who got in on the closed beta started playing it.

"Prove it" is not a valid response. With responses like that, you've already lost this debate. If you're a fan of the game, that's cool, but you can't argue with the logic. Minecraft blew up because of youtube, as did Call of Duty, CS:GO, DOTA2, LoL etc. It's not uncommon. Fact is, it's a mediocre game that got traction from a winning marketing campaign, and now they're afraid cause AAA developers are going to start throwing their take in the arena. Now that want to say they own the genre. Now they're rethinking all of their bad decisions (like banning people for supposed stream sniping without solid proof, just because a streamer said it it happened). Stop being in denial.

Like I said before, if DICE made their own battle royale game on frostbite? PUBG would be irreparably whiffed.

And i love you too!
Edited by oxidized - 9/23/17 at 1:05pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCGAMER] PUBG exec contemplating 'further action' over Fortnite Battle Royale similarities