Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Need advice for a $ 350 build with no GPU.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need advice for a $ 350 build with no GPU. - Page 2

post #11 of 52
Buy used?
post #12 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by microchidism View Post

Buy used?

Nope sorry frown.gif
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 52
Thread Starter 
Also, I'm thinking of getting something like the T30 for $ 350

Intel Quad-Core Xeon E3-1225 v5 8M Cache,
8GB UDIMM RAM,
1TB HDD,
DVD+/-RW, HDMI,
290W PSU

Will the be much more powerful than the recommended Pentium G4600?
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post

Also, I'm thinking of getting something like the T30 for $ 350

Intel Quad-Core Xeon E3-1225 v5 8M Cache,
8GB UDIMM RAM,
1TB HDD,
DVD+/-RW, HDMI,
290W PSU

Will the be much more powerful than the recommended Pentium G4600?

The two aren't even in the same ball park. That Xeon has double the cores and more cache memory.

If you have a 1050 TI floating around, is there any reason that you need the dedicated graphics at all? You metioned VP9 encoding - are you doing 4k?
Myrna
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Threadripper 1920X Asrock X399 Taichi  Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 TI 4 Way SLI Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB 3466Mhz 
  hide details  
Reply
Myrna
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Threadripper 1920X Asrock X399 Taichi  Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 TI 4 Way SLI Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB 3466Mhz 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavantStrike View Post

The two aren't even in the same ball park. That Xeon has double the cores and more cache memory.

If you have a 1050 TI floating around, is there any reason that you need the dedicated graphics at all? You metioned VP9 encoding - are you doing 4k?

Thanks. So I guess no brainer in terms of CPU power. Goes to Xeon.

I was thinking of gifting a 1030/1050/Ti to the one buying the system but I'm not sure yet.

More on "decoding" I think. For the possibility of watching 4K.

I think the Xeon doesn't have HEVC and VP9 so does that mean 4K videos are gonna lag?

I was told the 1030 is the cheapest that has HEVC and VP9.

These things kinda sound new to me.

I think the G4600 has built in HEVC and VP9 so I don't have to gift a GT 1030 but it only has 2 cores but 4 threads.

I'm quite confused.
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post

Thanks. So I guess no brainer in terms of CPU power. Goes to Xeon.

I was thinking of gifting a 1030/1050/Ti to the one buying the system but I'm not sure yet.

More on "decoding" I think. For the possibility of watching 4K.

I think the Xeon doesn't have HEVC and VP9 so does that mean 4K videos are gonna lag?

I was told the 1030 is the cheapest that has HEVC and VP9.

These things kinda sound new to me.

I think the G4600 has built in HEVC and VP9 so I don't have to gift a GT 1030 but it only has 2 cores but 4 threads.

I'm quite confused.

The xeon is an older chip with 4 cores and 8 threads. Except in single threaded performance, it will beat the G4600. The G4600 is much newer and has faster single threaded performance, but the difference between a dual core and a quad core for multitasking is significant.

The xeon does not have a GPU new enough to do 4k decoding, so there is a good chance it may lag during 4k playback. I haven't tried it, but I've seen forum posts where even all 4 cores on a chip like the Xeon can't handle 4k decoding in software.
Myrna
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Threadripper 1920X Asrock X399 Taichi  Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 TI 4 Way SLI Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB 3466Mhz 
  hide details  
Reply
Myrna
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Threadripper 1920X Asrock X399 Taichi  Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 TI 4 Way SLI Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB 3466Mhz 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavantStrike View Post

The xeon is an older chip with 4 cores and 8 threads. Except in single threaded performance, it will beat the G4600. The G4600 is much newer and has faster single threaded performance, but the difference between a dual core and a quad core for multitasking is significant.

The xeon does not have a GPU new enough to do 4k decoding, so there is a good chance it may lag during 4k playback. I haven't tried it, but I've seen forum posts where even all 4 cores on a chip like the Xeon can't handle 4k decoding in software.

Thanks.

Do you think it would be better to wait for the i3 coffee lake? Will that beat this Xenon?

Do you also think I'd be able to make an i3 Coffee Lake build with just $ 350?
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post

Thanks.

Do you think it would be better to wait for the i3 coffee lake? Will that beat this Xenon?

Do you also think I'd be able to make an i3 Coffee Lake build with just $ 350?

Not likely that you'll be able to make an i3 build for the same cost, especially given that the i3 will be new. That said the CL i3 chips are going to be quads IIRC so they should be able to beat the Xeon (and they better, that Xeon is from 2012).

The Pentium specified earlier in this thread may do what you want right now for a price that you can afford. If all this machine will be used for is basic office/productivity with some video playback it's a fine chip. At work, I do SQL and java programming on a mobile i3 (it's equivalent to the pentium with 2c/4t but at a much lower clock speed). My IT department is way too cheap, but it's surprising what these chips will do.

The pentium would make a good general purpose computer or a fantastic home theater machine (IGPU has good playback support). To get into the realm of greatness you could relax your budget a bit and spend an extra 75-100 for a used 7600k and you'd have an amazing machine on your hands that can tackle heavy workloads.
Myrna
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Threadripper 1920X Asrock X399 Taichi  Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 TI 4 Way SLI Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB 3466Mhz 
  hide details  
Reply
Myrna
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Threadripper 1920X Asrock X399 Taichi  Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 TI 4 Way SLI Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB 3466Mhz 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post

Thanks.

Do you think it would be better to wait for the i3 coffee lake? Will that beat this Xenon?

Do you also think I'd be able to make an i3 Coffee Lake build with just $ 350?

I definitely think its possible, and personally its what I would go for. The part list below should be a fairly decent price analog for coffee lake. The real X factor for the coffee lake cost is the motherboard. We already know the CPU is going to cost a hair less than 120 bucks, but the motherboards are probably going to be a little bit more expensive.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B2XpCy
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavantStrike View Post

The xeon is an older chip with 4 cores and 8 threads. Except in single threaded performance, it will beat the G4600. The G4600 is much newer and has faster single threaded performance, but the difference between a dual core and a quad core for multitasking is significant.

The xeon does not have a GPU new enough to do 4k decoding, so there is a good chance it may lag during 4k playback. I haven't tried it, but I've seen forum posts where even all 4 cores on a chip like the Xeon can't handle 4k decoding in software.

Hmm

https://ark.intel.com/products/88168/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1225-v5-8M-Cache-3_30-GHz

Isn't this Xeon 4C/4T? Or is Intel mixing up their product pages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavantStrike View Post

Not likely that you'll be able to make an i3 build for the same cost, especially given that the i3 will be new. That said the CL i3 chips are going to be quads IIRC so they should be able to beat the Xeon (and they better, that Xeon is from 2012).

The Pentium specified earlier in this thread may do what you want right now for a price that you can afford. If all this machine will be used for is basic office/productivity with some video playback it's a fine chip. At work, I do SQL and java programming on a mobile i3 (it's equivalent to the pentium with 2c/4t but at a much lower clock speed). My IT department is way too cheap, but it's surprising what these chips will do.

The pentium would make a good general purpose computer or a fantastic home theater machine (IGPU has good playback support). To get into the realm of greatness you could relax your budget a bit and spend an extra 75-100 for a used 7600k and you'd have an amazing machine on your hands that can tackle heavy workloads.

https://ark.intel.com/products/88168/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1225-v5-8M-Cache-3_30-GHz

Is intel lying about their chip launch dates? It says there Q4 2015.

There was also a video review on the net that said it's roughly the same as the i5 6600.

I'm confused.
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.3Ghz @~1.344 V ASUS P8Z68 V PRO Sapphire HD5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 G.Skill Sniper 1866 Mhz 9-10-9-28@1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB, Maxtor 500GB, SG 1.5 TB LG Lightscribe Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2333HD (TN Panel) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic wireless keyboard from Logitech Antec TruePower New 650 watts NZXT Gamma dell optical 
Mouse Pad
simple 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Need advice for a $ 350 build with no GPU.