Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Sizing Radiator and loop for 1x1080 GPU and 1xCPU?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sizing Radiator and loop for 1x1080 GPU and 1xCPU?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I have done a bit of reading and wow there is a lot of information and different opinions on water cooling. So much so, it is influencing what case I am going to buy. While my current system 4.4Ghz OC is stable and cool with my 120mm AIO, I don't feel comfortable putting any more voltage into it. I am planning on getting a new graphics card and I will update my CPU sooner or later. I would like to get a setup that would be able to scale for future use. I do understand/know that GPU blocks can cost a lot, unless you get one as OEM.

Composition: All copper/brass (no AL)

Pump:
1) D5 <= Most likely getting this
2) DCC <= Hear it is a good pump, though D5 is more capable, granted this is cheaper.

Radiator:
The cases I am looking all have the capability of holding a 280mm rad on top and a 360 in front. A few have 360 capability on top. Though I am curious how much cooling do I really need for a GPU and CPU?

I know other than length, the thickness of the radiator can be limited by your case. Basically more surface area the better it will exchange the heat to the air. On the other hand, if the fan density is to thick it can impede air flow and require more dusting.

I thought EKWB had a cool configurator, though realized it suggested dual 360s for one case and a single 280 for another case.

Should I get the new case, and use a 360MM in the front, until I get new GPU, then get a 280mm. I still need to figure out what thickness and if I really need an additional Rad.

Reservoir:
Either built on or what ever that fits.

Hoses:
I am pretty handy and have a heat gun, so I am thinking about going rigid hoses. I even have a plumbing pressure tester.

Reason for water cooling: get most out of a GPU, scale with newer CPU, and like to tinker.

Note: I do live a few miles from FrozenCPU, I know they have burnt some people on this forum, though as I will pickup anything I buy, I don't feel as hesitant.
post #2 of 22
I believe that most people agree that a 120mm rad for each component plus an additional 120mm rad is sufficient for all but the most extreme overclockers (in your case 360mm). With that being said, get as much rad space as you can. This will allow you to slow your fan way down and run a nearly silent system while maintaining high overclocks.

I would highly suggest that you stay away from 140mm rads and stick with 120mm. The 120mm fan quality and selection make the cooling differences small and you shouldn't run into case compatibility issues when you change in the future.

Good luck!
Ryzen Rules
(14 items)
 
Silent Screamer
(15 items)
 
SUPER SLACR
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9GHz MSI B350M Mortar GIGABYTE 980Ti G1 Gaming @ 1512MHz G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB @ 3333 MHz CL14 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe EKWB EK-CoolStream SE 120&240 + EKWB CPU&GPU Bl... MICROSOFT Windows 10 Pro YAMAKASI Catleap 27" 1440P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
LOGITECH G610 Orion Brown SEASONIC M12II 620 Fully Modular INWIN 301 LOGITECH G402 
Mouse PadAudio
Glorious PC Gaming Race XXL Extended ASUS XONAR 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz 24/7 ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte GTX 980ti G1 Gaming @1512MHz core/8250... 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 SSD 500GB Samsung Spinpoint XSPC Raystorm CPU & EKWB GPU w/ 140mm & 420mm Rads Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Yamakasi Catleap Logitech G610 Brown PC Power & Cooling 750W Enermax Fulmo GT 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G402 Glorious PC Gaming Race XXL Extended ASUS XONAR 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.5GHz EVGA 780I EVGA 8800GT SLI OCZ 2x2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2x500GB SATA II Samsung Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW 22" Saitek Eclipse PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec P182 
MouseMouse Pad
Microsoft Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Rules
(14 items)
 
Silent Screamer
(15 items)
 
SUPER SLACR
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9GHz MSI B350M Mortar GIGABYTE 980Ti G1 Gaming @ 1512MHz G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB @ 3333 MHz CL14 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVMe EKWB EK-CoolStream SE 120&240 + EKWB CPU&GPU Bl... MICROSOFT Windows 10 Pro YAMAKASI Catleap 27" 1440P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
LOGITECH G610 Orion Brown SEASONIC M12II 620 Fully Modular INWIN 301 LOGITECH G402 
Mouse PadAudio
Glorious PC Gaming Race XXL Extended ASUS XONAR 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz 24/7 ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte GTX 980ti G1 Gaming @1512MHz core/8250... 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 SSD 500GB Samsung Spinpoint XSPC Raystorm CPU & EKWB GPU w/ 140mm & 420mm Rads Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Yamakasi Catleap Logitech G610 Brown PC Power & Cooling 750W Enermax Fulmo GT 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G402 Glorious PC Gaming Race XXL Extended ASUS XONAR 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.5GHz EVGA 780I EVGA 8800GT SLI OCZ 2x2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2x500GB SATA II Samsung Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW 22" Saitek Eclipse PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec P182 
MouseMouse Pad
Microsoft Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 22
The d5 is quieter than the DDC, the DDC has more head pressure but a lower unrestricted flowrate compared to the d5 which has a lower head pressure but a higher unrestricted flowrate.

So when you have a few blocks and rads in your loop the d5 is a great pump, after that you really want to either step up to a noiser DDC or serial pumps or dual loops.

In general a thick 280 with good fans will out perform a 360 with good fans if they have similar rpm ranges,

Just max out the rad space you can in the case and get good fans, unless you're cool with run fans in the 1800-2000 range while gaming with a single 280mm or 360mm rad. If you aren't adding the GPU right away putting off getting the second rad is an option just remember that you'll have to redo the tubing to add those.

Honestly you really should look up rad reviews on xtremerigs.com they have a ton and they give a general wattage of heat they can dissipate at a set rpm.


Oh and to get the wattage of your components go to am decent PSU calculator and input just your CPU and video card and the overclock you are running or plan on running but ball park it kind of high.
Edited by somebadlemonade - 10/18/17 at 11:10am
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 22
I would go for 560 I was runnin a 560 ( alphacool monsta ) with 1080ti and ryzen with fans @ 500rpm and D5 vario pump at lowest speed temps were good, but if I pumped the fans to 1500rpm ( max ) gpu temps never went above 40c in 22c ambient thumb.gif
Edited by outofmyheadyo - 10/18/17 at 11:23am
post #5 of 22
With an OCed titan XP and OCed broadwell E 8 core cpu, max delta air to water gaming is 6-7C, that is with 2x280 rads, fans at constant 950rpms, with good (but fairly restrictive) dust filters in place. My system though is dead quiet and stays clean in a Fractal design R5 case with gpu temps 45C and cpu temps 50's gaming. (delta air to water would be less with no dust filters and open bench)

I will always have ~2x280 rads per cpu/gpu since I wont use fan speeds over 950 rpms, and I like good (restrictive) air filters, and pushing air into a case always add restriction versus open bench. 2x280 will fit in many modern cases.

But like somebadlemonade said, you can go to xtremerigs and see what your various delta air to water would be with various rads/fans (though you need to factor in about 30% performance loss for filters and case restriction unless your running open bench as well).
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6900K 4.4ghz  MSI X99A Krait Titan XP Gskill 32GB 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB OS Samsung 850 pro 1TB games D5, XT45 280 rad, Nemesis 280 rad,  Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer Predator XB271HU 144hz Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Fractal Design R5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6900K 4.4ghz  MSI X99A Krait Titan XP Gskill 32GB 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB OS Samsung 850 pro 1TB games D5, XT45 280 rad, Nemesis 280 rad,  Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer Predator XB271HU 144hz Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Fractal Design R5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harobi View Post

I believe that most people agree that a 120mm rad for each component plus an additional 120mm rad is sufficient for all but the most extreme overclockers (in your case 360mm). With that being said, get as much rad space as you can. This will allow you to slow your fan way down and run a nearly silent system while maintaining high overclocks.

I would highly suggest that you stay away from 140mm rads and stick with 120mm. The 120mm fan quality and selection make the cooling differences small and you shouldn't run into case compatibility issues when you change in the future.

Good luck!

I guess there are more 120mm fans than 140mm, good thing to keep in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebadlemonade View Post

The d5 is quieter than the DDC, the DDC has more head pressure but a lower unrestricted flowrate compared to the d5 which has a lower head pressure but a higher unrestricted flowrate.

So when you have a few blocks and rads in your loop the d5 is a great pump, after that you really want to either step up to a noiser DDC or serial pumps or dual loops.

In general a thick 280 with good fans will out perform a 360 with good fans if they have similar rpm ranges,

Just max out the rad space you can in the case and get good fans, unless you're cool with run fans in the 1800-2000 range while gaming with a single 280mm or 360mm rad. If you aren't adding the GPU right away putting off getting the second rad is an option just remember that you'll have to redo the tubing to add those.

Honestly you really should look up rad reviews on xtremerigs.com they have a ton and they give a general wattage of heat they can dissipate at a set rpm.

Thanks for the suggestion on rad reviews. Also you stating that the 280mm would only out perform a 360, if it is thicker?

I really don't notice my PC's noise, since I switched my last fan from a 4pin molex and attached it to a MB fan header. I also only use my system for gaming, though when I game I am wearing my headphones. So sound isn't all that important to me. My computer also has it's own room, so I don't have to sleep in the same room. I guess I know see and understand why people want quieter systems that they control the lighting on, I might have wanted it to, if systems were as loud and light filled, when I was in college.

Based off my requirements, do I really need a D5, is there any reliability differences between the D5 and the DCC?

Besides the coolness/tinker of water cooling. I hear custom loops are more reliable pump wise, give better cooling, but I think the biggest impact is better GPU performance. Based off bench marks I have read my current OC should be able to hold its own against stock 7700 in the games I play, if both were equipped with a GTX 1060, 1070. The 7700 would only gain a slight advantage with the 1080 GTX. My current 120MM AIO seems to be doing sufficient cooling for my current CPU, though it is 4 years old. I don't plan to over clock any further for now as it took a much larger jump in voltage to get it to 4.5, so I though 4.4Ghz was a conservative clock speed.
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post

I would go for 560 I was runnin a 560 ( alphacool monsta ) with 1080ti and ryzen with fans @ 500rpm and D5 vario pump at lowest speed temps were good, but if I pumped the fans to 1500rpm ( max ) gpu temps never went above 40c in 22c ambient thumb.gif

I would need to build a case around such a monster, 4x140 0_o are there many cases that accept something that big? I guess it make sense to buy one large rad than have a couple small ones. I thought it would be better to have a rad between the GPU and CPU, but common opinion is showing me that it is 6 or 1 half dozen. What case do you have to host that monster, I went to check your profile, but saw nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by opt33 View Post

With an OCed titan XP and OCed broadwell E 8 core cpu, max delta air to water gaming is 6-7C, that is with 2x280 rads, fans at constant 950rpms, with good (but fairly restrictive) dust filters in place. My system though is dead quiet and stays clean in a Fractal design R5 case with gpu temps 45C and cpu temps 50's gaming. (delta air to water would be less with no dust filters and open bench)

I will always have ~2x280 rads per cpu/gpu since I wont use fan speeds over 950 rpms, and I like good (restrictive) air filters, and pushing air into a case always add restriction versus open bench. 2x280 will fit in many modern cases.

But like somebadlemonade said, you can go to xtremerigs and see what your various delta air to water would be with various rads/fans (though you need to factor in about 30% performance loss for filters and case restriction unless your running open bench as well).

I do have a toddler so

active toddler + eletronics + water cooling + open bench = aaskull.gif

Also I would rather clean dust out of filters than the case, then again I was shocked to see how much dust was in my rad, when I cleaned it out for the first time a few months ago and that was 4 years of use ><.

I don't use my PC much, friends will get me into a new game, I will binge game a few hours after putting toddler down, go to bed, wife will nag me for being tired. Give it a break for a few days, play some more. Friends find a new game that doesn't interest me and they quit the game I like, I get annoyed at other random people in the game, quit playing game for months/week, and leave PC off for weeks. Then friends introduces me to new game I like, rinse and repeat. Other than that I go to work, chase a toddler, and try not to get yelled at by the wife.
post #8 of 22
A 280 of the same thickness as a 360 will generally out perform it, you have to take surface area into account
280*140-(43/2)*pi^2 > 360*120-(38/2)*pi^2

I'm not sure if that's still a common 120mm fan hub size or not anymore, but the rad right behind the fan hub will always be dead space unless you run shrouds/fan spacers even if I'm way off on the fan hub size there are three of them on the 360 and only 2 on the 280 with comparable fans the 280 has more rad space being actively cooled.

And the d5 is the go to pump since it's quieter and doesn't get as hot running full tilt in a low restriction loop like a DDC does.

You need to add a heatsink to a DDC for it to not kill itself running full tilt in a low restriction loop so it isn't any cheaper and since the DDC is noiser it's not really great pump for setups like yours.

There are a few cases that can support a 560, well at that point they tend to support dual 560s, the thermaltake tower is one. I plan on running a 560 externally and make a rad box around it maybe use a 30-32" tool box to house it with the pump/res combo
Edited by somebadlemonade - 10/18/17 at 11:51am
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarity View Post

I would need to build a case around such a monster, 4x140 0_o are there many cases that accept something that big? I guess it make sense to buy one large rad than have a couple small ones. I thought it would be better to have a rad between the GPU and CPU, but common opinion is showing me that it is 6 or 1 half dozen. What case do you have to host that monster, I went to check your profile, but saw nothing.

I should of been more clear, what I mean is get 240/280 per component, so 480/560 in total, dont have to be one 560 or one 480, you can get 280+280 or 420/280 whatever fits your case, I do reccomend rads for 140mm fans, imo they are quieter.
I run a thermaltake P5 case, and the 560 just barely fits thumb.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #10 of 22
Careful on some case that do say support 280 on top, but actually only support 240.
As the size difference will determine if it will be a thick or thin rad.
Same goes for the front.

Single GTX1080 and depending on what CPU you have. a 240+360 I find to be the most benefits which allows you to be able to add a 2nd GTX1080 if you like and push higher results.
Also with the 240+360 will help if your ambient temps decide to get high and very warm.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k @ 4.2Ghz Asus Z77 Sabertooth EVGA GTX1060 3GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB BLT2K8G3D1608ET... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX100 512GB Corsair Force 115GB WD Green 1TB WD Green 2TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cryorig C1 + XT140 Win7 64 Home SP1 ASUS VE278Q CM Storm Trigger Brown Switch 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX650 NZXT S340 Logitech G500 Razer Goliathus Extended Mouse Pad - Speed 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audiotrak Prodigy Cube DAC Edifier S330D 2.1 Speaker Bose AE2 Headphone Superlux 668B Headphone 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Logitech UE 4000 Headphone Sennheiser PC320 Headset MX-4 Thermal Paste (CPU/GPU) 3x 140mm Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200rpm PWM 
OtherOther
1x 120mm Noctua NF-S12B Redux 1200rpm PWM NZXT 2m Sleeved White LED 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k @ 4.2Ghz Asus Z77 Sabertooth EVGA GTX1060 3GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB BLT2K8G3D1608ET... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX100 512GB Corsair Force 115GB WD Green 1TB WD Green 2TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cryorig C1 + XT140 Win7 64 Home SP1 ASUS VE278Q CM Storm Trigger Brown Switch 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX650 NZXT S340 Logitech G500 Razer Goliathus Extended Mouse Pad - Speed 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audiotrak Prodigy Cube DAC Edifier S330D 2.1 Speaker Bose AE2 Headphone Superlux 668B Headphone 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Logitech UE 4000 Headphone Sennheiser PC320 Headset MX-4 Thermal Paste (CPU/GPU) 3x 140mm Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200rpm PWM 
OtherOther
1x 120mm Noctua NF-S12B Redux 1200rpm PWM NZXT 2m Sleeved White LED 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Sizing Radiator and loop for 1x1080 GPU and 1xCPU?