Still no luck after more and more testing.
This chart from test-gear.pl compares a ton of pads in five different categories. The chart is in polish, so from left to right it reads:
- Speed (how fast the surface was)
- Control (this value was their one subjective column, based on how "in control" the testers felt - the rest of these columns were objectively tested)
- Smoothness of movement (rough vs. smooth texture)
- Feedback (ability to tell where the mouse is on the mat - rougher textures make the user more aware of how much the mouse is moving - glass pads, for example, are so smooth that you sometimes feel lost)
- Grip (how easily the mice stopped)
The pads that interest me the most on this list, are of course the slowest ones (light green text). Unfortunately they aren't really options to buy due to various reasons (i.e. Everglide Titan isn't made anymore). The KESPA pads are super interesting to me, though. I remember reading some forums and watching a video on the KESPA pads in the past, and they were essentially made by the Korean Esports Association with the intention of creating very high control (but small sized) mouse pads for RTS professionals. I'd love to try a pad like this, but of course it's way too small for FPS.
I'm thinking at this point I might need to look into different surface materials. Has anyone ever experimented with leather, microfiber, or silicone pads?