Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Help me pick cooler for my 8700k
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me pick cooler for my 8700k - Page 2

post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post

Really? A lot of reviews will put the S340 on par - or slightly better than the Meshify C regarding thermals.
.
Yes! Really!
Most case reviewers simply run a system ans say "Oh wat a great case we have here!" The reality is many very good cases need fans repositioned or new fans installed to optimize / tune the case airflow to component put in it.

The do a case review like getting a nice new 7.1 sound system, set the speakers around the room, plug it is and start watching movies without balancing the sound and volume .. and instead of admitting it's pretty bad calm it's the best sounding system there is. I don't know about you, but when I setup a new sound system it takes quite abit of adjusting to get base & treble, front to middle & back speakers volume, etc. all set right before system performs like it should and sounds good.

Building a new system / testing cases is not different. To get a case to work properly it need fans moved and/or added, rpm curves set, etc. to get it to flow air properly.
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post

Really? A lot of reviews will put the S340 on par - or slightly better than the Meshify C regarding thermals.

oYkJYPv.png
jTze41D.png

I've been seriously considering swapping my S340 Elite to the Meshify C due to people like yourself occasionally claiming the S340 Elite is trash for temperatures/airflow. However, even if I completely remove the front panel and dust filter, I get just a measly 2c drop on all cores in P95. Which draws me to the conclusion that the S340 really isn't restrictive regarding airflow at all.

Also, as you can see in that chart, the Meshify C actually has higher GPU temps - I believe this can be explained by the fact the Meshify has noticeably less depth than the S340. The GPU is crammed right up by the front panel with 28cm+ GPUs, the S340 has a lot more breathing room though.

But yes, the headphone mount is pretty awful. However, you don't have to use it.



To the OP - I have the S340 Elite with the Noctua NH-D15S. Perfect fit in the case and doesn't block the ram slots.

A lot of reviewers don't know how to benchmark cases when it comes to thermals. The GPU temperatures are high because the Define series cases have an extreme restrictive PCI slot cover whereas the S340 elite has a less restrictive cover. I'm guessing most reviewers don't remove them since the Define Series has terrible GPU temps. Also, the stock fans that come with the Meshify aren't very good so they struggle with the front dust filter. Plus some of those numbers look kind of weird. Look at these benchmarks by Gamers Nexus that are done in a thermal chamber.




I'm biased towards the Gamers Nexus results because a friend of mine switched from the S340 elite to the Meshify C and saw a significant decrease in temperatures. FYI, if you are switching, the D15 is an extremely tight fit with the Meshify C. I had a Define C and the top of the cooler was making contact with the tempered glass.
Edited by furywins - 12/24/17 at 5:18pm
post #13 of 23
I know I will be the odd one out but why not use an AIO cooler, Yes high end air coolers beat them, But you'll never have clearance issues with one of those, And you can choose WHERE you want to dump the heat (like straight out the case), instead of "Above cpu socket area and hope airflow pushes it around"
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 980M @ 1470mhz 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
Reply
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 980M @ 1470mhz 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

I know I will be the odd one out but why not use an AIO cooler, Yes high end air coolers beat them, But you'll never have clearance issues with one of those, And you can choose WHERE you want to dump the heat (like straight out the case), instead of "Above cpu socket area and hope airflow pushes it around"

Noise, cost and risk of AIO leaking.
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by furywins View Post

Noise, cost and risk of AIO leaking.

ive got 7 Aio's, Never had one leak, Never heard a peep from them, All corsair H50 rev1 to H70 rev 2, and they weren't that much more than air coolers at the time either.
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 980M @ 1470mhz 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
Reply
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 980M @ 1470mhz 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

ive got 7 Aio's, Never had one leak, Never heard a peep from them, All corsair H50 rev1 to H70 rev 2, and they weren't that much more than air coolers at the time either.

I'm glad it works for you but that's not the norm. For instance, EK and Corsair had to do massive recalls in the past due to leaks. I have also had numerous experiences with multiple AIO coolers and they're all considerably louder than my D15 and LGM RT. I also know that they perform much better and much quieter than the H50. The 280/360mm variants perform similarly to high end air but they're almost always double the price of a D15 if not more. When noise normalized, air also performs much better than their AIO variants.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

I know I will be the odd one out but why not use an AIO cooler, Yes high end air coolers beat them, But you'll never have clearance issues with one of those, And you can choose WHERE you want to dump the heat (like straight out the case), instead of "Above cpu socket area and hope airflow pushes it around"

you're not the odd one out. I prefer to have an AIO over an big ass air cooler ( although I've currently got the wraith spire on my 1700). some people have had bad luck or used older ones which are not as good as the current versions. unfortunately you'll get abused on here by a couple of people for suggesting such a thing. My AIO cost less than a noctua NH-15 (which wouldn't fit in my case anyway)
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

I know I will be the odd one out but why not use an AIO cooler, Yes high end air coolers beat them, But you'll never have clearance issues with one of those, And you can choose WHERE you want to dump the heat (like straight out the case), instead of "Above cpu socket area and hope airflow pushes it around"
Both coolers need clearance. Only difference is where clearance is needed, case that clears cooler on CPU, or case with vents that fit radiator. Instead of choosing where to mount radiator we chose where to mount good quality high pressure intake fans and everything cools just fine.

Case airflow is important with both air coolers and radiators. If we don't have good airflow neither will cool properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poah View Post

you're not the odd one out. I prefer to have an AIO over an big ass air cooler ( although I've currently got the wraith spire on my 1700). some people have had bad luck or used older ones which are not as good as the current versions. unfortunately you'll get abused on here by a couple of people for suggesting such a thing. My AIO cost less than a noctua NH-15 (which wouldn't fit in my case anyway)
Yeah, you guys are the odd ones' out here .. way out. tongue.gif
post #19 of 23
I actually love the Meshify, though the solid front panel case like the one mention earlier is the joke of every professional reviewer. My only complaint about the Meshify, is that it is too small for a custom loop frown.gif

I went from a AIO to a Custom loop. Air coolers do give you the best bang for the buck in terms of CPU cooling. For gaming, the AIO has an unspoken big benefit. If you have an AIO setup to exhaust, all the hot CPU air is being directly exhausted out of the case, this means the air inside the case is cooler. Which in turns makes your GPU run cooler and you can achieve more boost/overclocking speeds with for your GPU with less thermal throttling. As gaming systems are more bottle necked by the GPU, this can help FPS. My new system has both GPU and CPU on a custom loop. As both are water cooled internal temp is less important so I have cool air coming from outside the case and the rads on intake.
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarity View Post

I actually love the Meshify, though the solid front panel case like the one mention earlier is the joke of every professional reviewer. My only complaint about the Meshify, is that it is too small for a custom loop frown.gif

I went from a AIO to a Custom loop. Air coolers do give you the best bang for the buck in terms of CPU cooling. For gaming, the AIO has an unspoken big benefit. If you have an AIO setup to exhaust, all the hot CPU air is being directly exhausted out of the case, this means the air inside the case is cooler. Which in turns makes your GPU run cooler and you can achieve more boost/overclocking speeds with for your GPU with less thermal throttling. As gaming systems are more bottle necked by the GPU, this can help FPS. My new system has both GPU and CPU on a custom loop. As both are water cooled internal temp is less important so I have cool air coming from outside the case and the rads on intake.

If you have the cpu radiator setup as exhaust it's intake air is coming straight from inside case, thus making the CPU temps warmer by quite a bit (if you have an open air shroud gpu).

For example: my old cooling setup was a h100i v2 set as exhaust up top and it's intake air was much warmer (making the CPU much warmer), because of the gtx 1080 dumping hot air inside the case.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Help me pick cooler for my 8700k