Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › need a video card
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

need a video card

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
With so many choices of video cards I'm frustrated, I have done tons of research but still don't know what video card is best for me. I need a video card under $150 at most and I have been looking at the 8600gts or the x1950xt. I'll appreciate your answer very much but please just tell me why chose on over the other or one recommendation that won't cost me more than $150. The monitor that I'm using is a Dell M991 19in CTR but I'll probably by a 20 or 21in wide screen by the end of the year and so you can have an idea of the system I'm currently building check this post. Thanks in advance and your answer is very much appreciated.
Matador
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 DFI P35 T2RS Sapphire 4850 Ballistix Tracer 2GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB Samsung SpinPoint Samsung DVD RW Win 7 Samsung 2253LW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech EX110 OCZ EvoStream 720W Cooler Master 690 Razer Diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
Matador
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 DFI P35 T2RS Sapphire 4850 Ballistix Tracer 2GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB Samsung SpinPoint Samsung DVD RW Win 7 Samsung 2253LW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech EX110 OCZ EvoStream 720W Cooler Master 690 Razer Diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
Well are you planning on going to vista and dx10 if so you would have to go with a 8x series or the new ati 2900 series.
SABERWOLF
(18 items)
 
XEON-WOLF
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6800K MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hydro Copper G.SKILL TridentZ Series 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung EVO 850 500 EK-SBAY Dual DDC 3.2 PWM Serial Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper Radiator 360 Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport Black Car... 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-CoolStream RAD XTC 420 koolance 380i Windows 10 Pro ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
SeaSonic M12D SS-850 850W  Thermaltake core x71 CM Storm Sentinel Advance II Corsair Void 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5675@4400 1.344 ASUS P6X58D-E XfX RX480 RS F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI 6-7-6-21 1T 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ST31000340AS WDC WD7500AAKS-00RBA0 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 ihas 624-A SilverStone Heligon HE01 windows 10 64 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 42inch lcd tv CORSAIR CMPSU-950TX Modded Rocketfish 
  hide details  
Reply
SABERWOLF
(18 items)
 
XEON-WOLF
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6800K MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hydro Copper G.SKILL TridentZ Series 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung EVO 850 500 EK-SBAY Dual DDC 3.2 PWM Serial Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper Radiator 360 Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport Black Car... 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-CoolStream RAD XTC 420 koolance 380i Windows 10 Pro ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
SeaSonic M12D SS-850 850W  Thermaltake core x71 CM Storm Sentinel Advance II Corsair Void 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5675@4400 1.344 ASUS P6X58D-E XfX RX480 RS F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI 6-7-6-21 1T 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ST31000340AS WDC WD7500AAKS-00RBA0 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 ihas 624-A SilverStone Heligon HE01 windows 10 64 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 42inch lcd tv CORSAIR CMPSU-950TX Modded Rocketfish 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
If i were you, id wait until they produce more matured dx10 cards. Most dx10 games, if your gonna want to crank the settings up high, your most likely gonna need an 8800gts at least. The 8600gts performace isnt bad but making a dx10 card with a 128-bit memory bus at this point just seems like a bad idea to me, its gonna perform terribly at higher resolutions. Not to mention its price will probably stick up @ around $200 for a good month to maybe 3 months seeing as it took forever for the 7600gt's price to drop (just my guess). So id pick up an X1950XT for $160 off newegg, youll get much better performance on games out now than the 8600gts and it should definately keep up in dx10 games minus some new features until you pick up a dx10 card.
cour tew duo ftw!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e4300 @ 3.1ghz 1.35v GA-P35-DS3R Sapphire HD2900pro 512mb 2x1gb Micron ddr2 667 @ 690 4-3-3-12 2T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80GB Hitachi Deskstar HP Lightscribe DVD-RW +/- XP LG 19" Widescreen 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Digital Media Pro OCZ StealthXStream 600w idk Dell mouse ftw 
  hide details  
Reply
cour tew duo ftw!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e4300 @ 3.1ghz 1.35v GA-P35-DS3R Sapphire HD2900pro 512mb 2x1gb Micron ddr2 667 @ 690 4-3-3-12 2T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80GB Hitachi Deskstar HP Lightscribe DVD-RW +/- XP LG 19" Widescreen 5ms 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Digital Media Pro OCZ StealthXStream 600w idk Dell mouse ftw 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AegisFLCL View Post
If i were you, id wait until they produce more matured dx10 cards. Most dx10 games, if your gonna want to crank the settings up high, your most likely gonna need an 8800gts at least. The 8600gts performace isnt bad but making a dx10 card with a 128-bit memory bus at this point just seems like a bad idea to me, its gonna perform terribly at higher resolutions. Not to mention its price will probably stick up @ around $200 for a good month to maybe 3 months seeing as it took forever for the 7600gt's price to drop (just my guess). So id pick up an X1950XT for $160 off newegg, youll get much better performance on games out now than the 8600gts and it should definately keep up in dx10 games minus some new features until you pick up a dx10 card.
really i compared a few games at 12x10 to a 1900XTX the other day and actully my 8600GT is maybe 1-2% slower now and the 8600GTS should be faster, its those 158.19 drivers the reviewers used that show it so misrable, the 158.22 improves it drasticlly
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon XP1500+ Uwave2 eVga 5600XT 256mb PC133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60gb 24x8x24 CD-RW Windows 2000Pro Dell M480 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Dell 500W Raidmax Generic Generic Optical 
Mouse Pad
Generic Blue 
  hide details  
Reply
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon XP1500+ Uwave2 eVga 5600XT 256mb PC133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60gb 24x8x24 CD-RW Windows 2000Pro Dell M480 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Dell 500W Raidmax Generic Generic Optical 
Mouse Pad
Generic Blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
If u want a card now, i'd go for 8600 GTS, heard it overclocks well.. wait a little longer if u want to play more games
My System
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H  Nvidia GTX 980 8GB AMD Entertainment 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue 640GB Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Windows 10 Pro LG 29um67 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair RM750i Corsair Obsidian 350D Logitech G700s 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H  Nvidia GTX 980 8GB AMD Entertainment 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue 640GB Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Windows 10 Pro LG 29um67 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair RM750i Corsair Obsidian 350D Logitech G700s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batista View Post
With so many choices of video cards I'm frustrated, I have done tons of research but still don't know what video card is best for me. I need a video card under $150 at most and I have been looking at the 8600gts or the x1950xt. I'll appreciate your answer very much but please just tell me why chose on over the other or one recommendation that won't cost me more than $150. The monitor that I'm using is a Dell M991 19in CTR but I'll probably by a 20 or 21in wide screen by the end of the year and so you can have an idea of the system I'm currently building check this post. Thanks in advance and your answer is very much appreciated.
Can you give us an idea of what you currently do and/or what games you'll want to play? Are you an avid gamer?

IMHO, if you're not going Vista (DX10), don't waste your money on a DX10 card. Besides, the 1950xt will more than likely sweep the floor with the 8600 with CURRENT games. And I highly doubt DX10 will mature before the end of the year, so you might as well save up for a REAL DX10 card if DX10 games appeal to you. Otherwise, don't bother. It all depends on what you are going to be doing.

If you're going to be gaming on your new 22" monitor, you'll definitely need something more powerful than that 8600. Just my 2-cents. If it were me, I'd go with the ATI hands-down. Going with the 8600 and what your specs are (and what res of monitor you'll have) the 8600 doesn't make much sense. Might as well save up more and get a 8800 640mb card.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
I think you will be disappointed with either of those cards within the next year. Prices on NVidia cards are likely going to decrease in the next few months, and if you're in either of those cards in September only to see the 8800GTS at your price point, you'll be kicking yourself.

For safety, wait until within 3 months of the 8900 card release, buy the best EVGA card you can and then use their step up program when the price points shift. It's the sensible thing to do if you have the unfortunate combo of impatience and a budget.
Does the trick
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E6600 @3.08Ghz MSI P6n SLI 650i EVGA 8800GTS 320 2x1Gb GSkill & 2X512mb Kingston PC6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 250GB SATA 7200RPM + Seagate 7200.10 80gb HP Lightscribe DVD rw Vista home premium 64 37' Westinghouse 1080P hdtv 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey Mad Dog 550 Antec Sonata II Logitech Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
Does the trick
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E6600 @3.08Ghz MSI P6n SLI 650i EVGA 8800GTS 320 2x1Gb GSkill & 2X512mb Kingston PC6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 250GB SATA 7200RPM + Seagate 7200.10 80gb HP Lightscribe DVD rw Vista home premium 64 37' Westinghouse 1080P hdtv 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey Mad Dog 550 Antec Sonata II Logitech Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post
Can you give us an idea of what you currently do and/or what games you'll want to play? Are you an avid gamer?

IMHO, if you're not going Vista (DX10), don't waste your money on a DX10 card. Besides, the 1950xt will more than likely sweep the floor with the 8600 with CURRENT games. And I highly doubt DX10 will mature before the end of the year, so you might as well save up for a REAL DX10 card if DX10 games appeal to you. Otherwise, don't bother. It all depends on what you are going to be doing.

If you're going to be gaming on your new 22" monitor, you'll definitely need something more powerful than that 8600. Just my 2-cents. If it were me, I'd go with the ATI hands-down. Going with the 8600 and what your specs are (and what res of monitor you'll have) the 8600 doesn't make much sense. Might as well save up more and get a 8800 640mb card.
well I can't really spend much time on gaming because college and work keep me on a very tight schedule. But I always check out the latest games and play them until I beat them or get tired and I like to play them at high or maximum settings. As for now I ordered a MSI x1050 but that's just to not be left without a computer for couple of days until I buy the new card which right now I think is going to be the x1950xt because I don't see myself spending over $200 for a video card anymore. Those times for me are over because I have a lot of bills to pay and not the best job.

Edit: I will install Win Vista because I don't like to be reinstalling os so I'll just install it now and save all the trouble of upgrading later, although vista has a lot of problems right now.

Also for the other poster, I won't wait because new tech and games are always coming and in couple of more month I will be trying to decide on two different video cards so I will decide now.

Thank you all for your responses.
Matador
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 DFI P35 T2RS Sapphire 4850 Ballistix Tracer 2GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB Samsung SpinPoint Samsung DVD RW Win 7 Samsung 2253LW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech EX110 OCZ EvoStream 720W Cooler Master 690 Razer Diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
Matador
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 DFI P35 T2RS Sapphire 4850 Ballistix Tracer 2GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB Samsung SpinPoint Samsung DVD RW Win 7 Samsung 2253LW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech EX110 OCZ EvoStream 720W Cooler Master 690 Razer Diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
8600 for dx10
radeon 19xx for dx9

8600 is for upward compatibility

8600=FTW
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
Oh The Glorrryyy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 630 MSI THANG 2x4830 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
2x250gb 1x100gb 1x20gb 1920x1080 23in  500watt Rosewill Open Air 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampoor View Post
8600 for dx10
radeon 19xx for dx9

8600 is for upward compatibility

8600=FTW
yes it is, its a great card thats getting to much bad media, from all the ATI fansites.
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon XP1500+ Uwave2 eVga 5600XT 256mb PC133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60gb 24x8x24 CD-RW Windows 2000Pro Dell M480 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Dell 500W Raidmax Generic Generic Optical 
Mouse Pad
Generic Blue 
  hide details  
Reply
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon XP1500+ Uwave2 eVga 5600XT 256mb PC133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60gb 24x8x24 CD-RW Windows 2000Pro Dell M480 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Dell 500W Raidmax Generic Generic Optical 
Mouse Pad
Generic Blue 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › need a video card