Overclock.net banner

Need advice on a new e4300 build

333 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rednose 
#1 ·
HI everybody, I am a newbie to OC and find this website really useful. Need some suggestion on a new build.

The system will be mainly for computational usage (numerical simulation), with intensive CPU usage for long time (over 20 hours). Planning to have a budget system with c2d e4300 for its high OC ability. It would be really nice to have it OCed to 3.0G!

Here is what is in my mind, can you guys give some input? Really appreciated!

Is the PSU enough? The system won't have graphics card or sound card.

CPU:
C2D E4300

Motherboard:
Gigabyte 965P-DS3

Memory:
Kingstone 667 1 Gb x 2

Harddisk:
Westdigit 250 Gb

CPU cooling:
Scythe Ninja Plus

Casing:
Cooler Master Centrion 5

Power supply:
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS-430-PMSR/P 430W Power Supply

See less See more
#2 ·
its an average build, but if you plan on over clocking you may want to buy better ram, may be some ocz dd2 -800 it will give you a more head room.

dont for get case fans, and overclocking may want some AS5

the psu will be good, if you dont' over clock. it will support you if you do over clock, but in the long run you may want to look into a beefier one

just read this forum
http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...his+n00b+again

#3 ·
Not to rain on your parade, but your motherboard doesn't have on-board graphics.... the 965G-DS3 has the Intel GMA X3000 OBV option. 'Bout the same price from newegg.

I like my Centurion case... pretty good airflow. More fans would be a good thing, tho. And +1 on the PSU.

#4 ·
Looks good man...

However i would look into this RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146558

Highly overclockable..from 667mhz upto 1000mhz...so ddr2-800 isn't needed...this RAM will hit 800mhz with ease...

And i don't see a PCIe video card listed...Do you already have that taken care of? the DS3 has no onboard video however the G965-DS3 does...

other than that man nice picks...the scythe is real nice...let us know your results

#6 ·
Thanks guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stud View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but your motherboard doesn't have on-board graphics.... the 965G-DS3 has the Intel GMA X3000 OBV option. 'Bout the same price from newegg.

I like my Centurion case... pretty good airflow. More fans would be a good thing, tho. And +1 on the PSU.
Read some post, saying this mobo (965G-DS3) not so well for OC.

Also, i won't use this rig for gaming. Would it be necessary to buy a video card? Any recommendation on a budget one which is compatible with the 965P-DS3 mobo?

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rednose
View Post

Thanks guys!

Read some post, saying this mobo (965G-DS3) not so well for OC.

Also, i won't use this rig for gaming. Would it be necessary to buy a video card? Any recommendation on a budget one which is compatible with the 965P-DS3 mobo?

If you don't game on it then i would say this cheap little thing...it would do fine...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127273

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rednose
View Post

hi guys, got my e4300 up running...
very happy

Nice man...looks like you have a good oc of 700mhz on your ram...

Did you use the 8x multi b/c it didn't need as much vcore? That's what i did...

350fsb is great oc from 200fsb..

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuNcHeR23 View Post
Nice man...looks like you have a good oc of 700mhz on your ram...

Did you use the 8x multi b/c it didn't need as much vcore? That's what i did...

350fsb is great oc from 200fsb..

Indeed, e4300 is a nice cpu. almost effortless from 200fsb to 350fsb. That's just amazing!

Yes, 8x did not require high vcore, set at ~1.30 (somewhere, can't remember exactly).

When I tried 9x 300, it did require a higher vcore, about normal value 1.3250V, but still unstable. I was afraid to go further, as the temperature was pretty high, above 55C, under 100% cpu load at the core (reading from speedfan). BTW, I am living in a tropical zone, ambient temperature is about 28C. Not sure what is the limit e4300 can tolerate.

Kingston seems to be a pretty good RAM....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.