Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › What do you think of my upgrades?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you think of my upgrades? - Page 2

post #11 of 14
just an FYI paul, I used 4 of these drives w/ the areca-1210 RAID 5:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148144

And here's my results:

http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives...ltra-fast.html

with 4 raptors, I don't think you'll get THAT much of an improvement in transfer speeds, or any appreciable amount anyway, since the speeds I got w/ 4 barracudas is already really fast. You WILL get better random access times though.

If you do get the 4 raptors, post your benchmarks! I'd be interested to see em.
post #12 of 14
I'm gonna step outside the box a bit and recommend a simple 7200 raid.

With the ARECA card, you won't suffer a huge hit in performance, and the speed won't be noticeable.

The truth is, I think once you get a stand alone raid card, Raptors are more of a royalty at that point than a noticeable speed increase.

You could get 2 Barracuda 320's for $159.98 total and have $300 left over for a better power supply and still have enough to get Vista.

I think the GTX over the GTS is a bit of a moot point, but if you decide to go that route, get an EVGA card so you can trade it in 90 days in case the 8900 comes out.
Reaper 1.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
*TBD ASRock 775Dual-VSTA *TBD* *TBD* 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD 40GB 7200SATA / 80G Maxtor IDE 18x CDRW Windows XP SP2 / Fedora 64 / Vista 64 *TBD* 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master RC-330 Elite Microsoft Intellimouse USB 
  hide details  
Reply
Reaper 1.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
*TBD ASRock 775Dual-VSTA *TBD* *TBD* 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD 40GB 7200SATA / 80G Maxtor IDE 18x CDRW Windows XP SP2 / Fedora 64 / Vista 64 *TBD* 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master RC-330 Elite Microsoft Intellimouse USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 14
I would say Home Premium instead of Ultimate, just to save money, but it's all up to you. That's a nice RAID array, though. I = Jealous
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 @ 2050 MHz 32GB G Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel 600p m.2 512GB Crucial M500 SSD 960GB Toshiba X300 HDD 3TB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Cooler Master Nepton 240m Windows 10 Pro Samsung 34" Curved Ultrawide (3440x1440) Samsung 22" Portrait (1080x1920) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Poker II Cherry MX Brown, KBParadise V80 Cherry... EVGA G2 650W Cooler Master Silencio 652s Steelseries Sensei Wireless 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Tekmat SIG 556 SMSL Q5 Pro DAC Bowers & Wilkins DM601 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 @ 2050 MHz 32GB G Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel 600p m.2 512GB Crucial M500 SSD 960GB Toshiba X300 HDD 3TB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Cooler Master Nepton 240m Windows 10 Pro Samsung 34" Curved Ultrawide (3440x1440) Samsung 22" Portrait (1080x1920) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Poker II Cherry MX Brown, KBParadise V80 Cherry... EVGA G2 650W Cooler Master Silencio 652s Steelseries Sensei Wireless 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Tekmat SIG 556 SMSL Q5 Pro DAC Bowers & Wilkins DM601 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoship View Post
just an FYI paul, I used 4 of these drives w/ the areca-1210 RAID 5:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148144

And here's my results:

http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives...ltra-fast.html

with 4 raptors, I don't think you'll get THAT much of an improvement in transfer speeds, or any appreciable amount anyway, since the speeds I got w/ 4 barracudas is already really fast. You WILL get better random access times though.

If you do get the 4 raptors, post your benchmarks! I'd be interested to see em.
Raptors in RAID0 are gong to be faster in the read / right department and definitely the random access time. However, is their hefty price worthwhile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessMC View Post
I'm gonna step outside the box a bit and recommend a simple 7200 raid.

With the ARECA card, you won't suffer a huge hit in performance, and the speed won't be noticeable.

The truth is, I think once you get a stand alone raid card, Raptors are more of a royalty at that point than a noticeable speed increase.

You could get 2 Barracuda 320's for $159.98 total and have $300 left over for a better power supply and still have enough to get Vista.

I think the GTX over the GTS is a bit of a moot point, but if you decide to go that route, get an EVGA card so you can trade it in 90 days in case the 8900 comes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p View Post
I would say Home Premium instead of Ultimate, just to save money, but it's all up to you. That's a nice RAID array, though. I = Jealous
Why spend over $300 for the RAID controller and then skimp on the hard drives?

I am choosing Vista Ultimate because of the added features outlined here by DuckieHo.

I am still thinking about those 7200RPM drive... Maybe 6 7200RPM drives in a RAID5 array? I would need a larger RAID controller though.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › What do you think of my upgrades?