Overclock.net banner

Is there a way to control internet bandwidth?

769 views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Leeo D 
#1 ·
I have two computers connected (wired) to a wireless router and was wondering if theres a way to control the internet bandwidth on one computer using the other?

#5 ·
Oh god I wish there was. My brother will hog all the bandwidth when he is seeding and downloading with azureus and it lags ventrilo and AoE3 horribly. I have to go and shut off his computer when does that (he is only supposed to do it late at night when I'm asleep anyways) because of that, but he never seems to listen. I regret ever explaining what a torrent is to him...

#6 ·
I heard you can get a Linksys WRT54G and put a 3rd party firmware on it that has bandwidth management functions.

Also, I heard these programs could help you out.
BrazilFW
IP Cop

Tom's Hardware post on this subject that would be helpful

Wikipedia also has some good links.

Note: I got most of this info off of the Tom's Hardware forum

#8 ·
An XGATE will do the trick, 4 wired connections, you can set the bandwidth on each node

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kc-tr
View Post

Yes you can, no you dont need a special router to do so. The linksys WRT54G routers have this feature, so do netgear routers and others. Its called QoS you just have to go into applications and gaming and set the port priority.

Agreed and also check your network connection settings on your OS. Microsoft provides an OS level QoS (Quality of Service) protocol that you should be able to limit as well. The easiest way is through the router tho and most, as stated above, have this feature -- you just need to spend some time investigating how to properly set it up.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LembasBread View Post
Oh god I wish there was. My brother will hog all the bandwidth when he is seeding and downloading with azureus and it lags ventrilo and AoE3 horribly. I have to go and shut off his computer when does that (he is only supposed to do it late at night when I'm asleep anyways) because of that, but he never seems to listen. I regret ever explaining what a torrent is to him...
Report his Torrent Usage to the right people and it will go away for a LONG time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.