Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › My life after quiting video games.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My life after quiting video games. - Page 16

post #151 of 211
This post is like a person preaching for the AA in a bar
post #152 of 211
Real life will never provide me with the same experience that gaming does. I'm not going to be any less of a loser if I stop gaming.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 ASUS M5A97 Sapphire Radeon HD7850 4GB G. Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 5000AAKS WD 250GB 2500KS ASUS DVD-RW SATA Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung 23" BX2350 LCD Corsair 600W CMPSU-600G Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 ASUS M5A97 Sapphire Radeon HD7850 4GB G. Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 5000AAKS WD 250GB 2500KS ASUS DVD-RW SATA Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung 23" BX2350 LCD Corsair 600W CMPSU-600G Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
post #153 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepheronx View Post
I also have a guide im coming out after the Nvidia and ATI optimized drivers guide, on "how to **** in 10 easy steps". Would anyone buy the book?
I'll buy it then smack him in the face with it if you want. It's about phonebook size right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot11 View Post
Why is it that when someone quits doing something, they put themselves on a pedestal over everyone that does it even though they were in the same crowd not long ago?

Also I'm sick of people basically thinking that if you play games more than the average joe, you are completely inept at everything. I play games so much I can't even talk out of my mount anymore... I forgot how! Therefore I can't carry on another conversation with another human being.

If you felt you had to quit video games to have a "life" then they obviously had a very strong grip on you, and thats great that you shook it, but don't come here to preach to people because not everyone is so controlled by the mighty video game monster. As odd as it seems a lot of people can find balance and still live a perfectly healthy life complete with exercise/education/career/social life etc.

Oh yeah, and there are productive lessons taken away from video games that aren't educational. Like resource management and micro management from RTS games, Teamwork skills from MMO's and multiplayer FPS's, basic concepts of small economies from Simulation games like Sim City, strengthening logic skills... and the list goes on.
Some good points here. If you didn't get out while you were playing video games...your problem.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #154 of 211
Yes, I am working on quitting. My solution, sell my games and buy a mac
x
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX  Crucial Ballistix Elite Western Digital 
Optical DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Asus CORSAIR Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Windows 8 Logitec  
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Microcenter Microcenter Senheisser HD25II AIAIAI TMA-1 
  hide details  
Reply
x
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX  Crucial Ballistix Elite Western Digital 
Optical DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Asus CORSAIR Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Windows 8 Logitec  
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Microcenter Microcenter Senheisser HD25II AIAIAI TMA-1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #155 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarton View Post
Real life will never provide me with the same experience that gaming does. I'm not going to be any less of a loser if I stop gaming.
And how many hobbies hurt your body? I mean give you lots of physical pain? I know plenty that do, but for most people, playing video games is all pleasure, and no physical pain.
Immortal
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 44G 3.240GHz Asus P5B-deluxe eVGA 8800GT (650/950) 2GB PQIturbomem 667(800mhzballistix soon) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x 400GB Seagate 7200rpm/16mb cache Some super combo drive Windows XP Home/Ubuntu NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech cordless 610w PCP&C silencer TTArmor w/side fan G7 
Mouse Pad
Black IcematII 
  hide details  
Reply
Immortal
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 44G 3.240GHz Asus P5B-deluxe eVGA 8800GT (650/950) 2GB PQIturbomem 667(800mhzballistix soon) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x 400GB Seagate 7200rpm/16mb cache Some super combo drive Windows XP Home/Ubuntu NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech cordless 610w PCP&C silencer TTArmor w/side fan G7 
Mouse Pad
Black IcematII 
  hide details  
Reply
post #156 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrado View Post
And how many hobbies hurt your body? I mean give you lots of physical pain? I know plenty that do, but for most people, playing video games is all pleasure, and no physical pain.
Then again, the fact that gaming is such pure pleasure makes it tough to do other things. We're conditioned to want instant gratification. Even an MMO is "instant" compared to a lot of things in life. I could practice trumpet 2 hours a day for 30 years and eventually be a great player, or I could sit down at a video game for 15 minutes and have a blast right NOW It just conditions us in a way that makes it tough to stick with things in real life.

I'm a big fan of games, but admittedly I'd probably be a more relaxed person if I stopped playing games. I'm not sure what I'd fill up the rest of my time with though... I'd probably be bored a lot more often too.

Most people watch countless hours of television while we're gaming, I don't think TV is a better alternative really.

My friend and I have this argument all the time whlie we're on AIM at work The general consensus we've come to is that it would only be beneficial to quit gaming/watching TV if you're going to fill your time with meaningful activities. If you're going to compose a symphony or write a book instead of playing CS:S, then that's great. If you're just quitting because somebody called you a nerd.... That's kind of pointless - you'll probably just end up bored or watching Jerry Springer. I tend to think that CS is a better use of time than TV

I'm talking about gaming in your free time though. I never turn down an opportunity to hang out with people so I can game more. I think if you tell people you're busy so you can get in another round of CS that's when it becomes a problem - unless you hate the people you're blowing off that is Games like WoW where you might need to do a raid on a Friday night are kind of a different beast IMO, but you just have to make sure your priorities are in check. Then again, that's why I quit playing WoW, those weekend raids were killer and I just felt like too much of a loser

I always bring up the fact that all you can do is try to have fun and enjoy life, and if video games make you happy then so be it.
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 635 MSI 770 XFX HD4770 2x2 gig ddr3 gskill 1600 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardCase
64gig C300 Windows XP baby Filco Majestouch 2!! (tenkeyless) CM Cosmos 1000 
MouseMouse Pad
MX518 Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 635 MSI 770 XFX HD4770 2x2 gig ddr3 gskill 1600 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardCase
64gig C300 Windows XP baby Filco Majestouch 2!! (tenkeyless) CM Cosmos 1000 
MouseMouse Pad
MX518 Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
post #157 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot11 View Post
Why is it that when someone quits doing something, they put themselves on a pedestal over everyone that does it even though they were in the same crowd not long ago?

Also I'm sick of people basically thinking that if you play games more than the average joe, you are completely inept at everything. I play games so much I can't even talk out of my mount anymore... I forgot how! Therefore I can't carry on another conversation with another human being.

If you felt you had to quit video games to have a "life" then they obviously had a very strong grip on you, and thats great that you shook it, but don't come here to preach to people because not everyone is so controlled by the mighty video game monster. As odd as it seems a lot of people can find balance and still live a perfectly healthy life complete with exercise/education/career/social life etc.

Oh yeah, and there are productive lessons taken away from video games that aren't educational. Like resource management and micro management from RTS games, Teamwork skills from MMO's and multiplayer FPS's, basic concepts of small economies from Simulation games like Sim City, strengthening logic skills... and the list goes on.
Because they are trying to make themselves feel better about something. In this case it appears that X person quits video games; most likely because he wanted people he knows to think better of him and this post is just looking for confirmation of it making him a better person. Honestly though, do what you want. If there are people who dislike you because of things you enjoy doing - then they are really irrelevant. Live life how you want to live it, and remember just because alot of people do something does not mean you have to do it also. Alcohol for instance - there is alot of alcohol consumption in HS/College and to not be apart of that you are in a minority.
1
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5820K ASUS X99-Deluxe MSI GTX 780 Lightning 4x 4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengence LPX 2800mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 512GB None Corsair AIO H110 Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x X-Star 1440p Rosewill Mechanical (MX Blue) 1000w EVGA Supernova P1 NZXT H440 White 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
1
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5820K ASUS X99-Deluxe MSI GTX 780 Lightning 4x 4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengence LPX 2800mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 512GB None Corsair AIO H110 Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x X-Star 1440p Rosewill Mechanical (MX Blue) 1000w EVGA Supernova P1 NZXT H440 White 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #158 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrado View Post
And how many hobbies hurt your body? I mean give you lots of physical pain? I know plenty that do, but for most people, playing video games is all pleasure, and no physical pain.
At least video games are only fake Getting boom headshot hurts in rl... Lol
Besides games make lots of issues like backpain and stuff.. :\\

I agree with the other guy.. If you want to make yourself feel better than anyone because you don't play games go tell yourself that but it's sad that games had such a control over you. I can't imagine what something like heroin would've done.
Workoholic REborn
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8Z68-V PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 12GB 1x4GB+1x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 520 Series WD Black ASUS DVD+RW Sunbeam Twister 120 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate LG OLED65C7P Oculus Rift Logitech K400 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 620 Modular Lian Li V1020B G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
Workoholic REborn
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8Z68-V PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 12GB 1x4GB+1x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 520 Series WD Black ASUS DVD+RW Sunbeam Twister 120 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate LG OLED65C7P Oculus Rift Logitech K400 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 620 Modular Lian Li V1020B G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #159 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelirrojo View Post
Then again, the fact that gaming is such pure pleasure makes it tough to do other things. We're conditioned to want instant gratification. Even an MMO is "instant" compared to a lot of things in life. I could practice trumpet 2 hours a day for 30 years and eventually be a great player, or I could sit down at a video game for 15 minutes and have a blast right NOW It just conditions us in a way that makes it tough to stick with things in real life.

I'm a big fan of games, but admittedly I'd probably be a more relaxed person if I stopped playing games. I'm not sure what I'd fill up the rest of my time with though... I'd probably be bored a lot more often too.

Most people watch countless hours of television while we're gaming, I don't think TV is a better alternative really.

My friend and I have this argument all the time whlie we're on AIM at work The general consensus we've come to is that it would only be beneficial to quit gaming/watching TV if you're going to fill your time with meaningful activities. If you're going to compose a symphony or write a book instead of playing CS:S, then that's great. If you're just quitting because somebody called you a nerd.... That's kind of pointless - you'll probably just end up bored or watching Jerry Springer. I tend to think that CS is a better use of time than TV

I'm talking about gaming in your free time though. I never turn down an opportunity to hang out with people so I can game more. I think if you tell people you're busy so you can get in another round of CS that's when it becomes a problem - unless you hate the people you're blowing off that is Games like WoW where you might need to do a raid on a Friday night are kind of a different beast IMO, but you just have to make sure your priorities are in check. Then again, that's why I quit playing WoW, those weekend raids were killer and I just felt like too much of a loser

I always bring up the fact that all you can do is try to have fun and enjoy life, and if video games make you happy then so be it.
Thing with raids though, if you are with your friends, then who cares? I would rather go to a LAN party with guys that are interested in computers and video games than some party with people that i have nothing in common with.
Immortal
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 44G 3.240GHz Asus P5B-deluxe eVGA 8800GT (650/950) 2GB PQIturbomem 667(800mhzballistix soon) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x 400GB Seagate 7200rpm/16mb cache Some super combo drive Windows XP Home/Ubuntu NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech cordless 610w PCP&C silencer TTArmor w/side fan G7 
Mouse Pad
Black IcematII 
  hide details  
Reply
Immortal
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 44G 3.240GHz Asus P5B-deluxe eVGA 8800GT (650/950) 2GB PQIturbomem 667(800mhzballistix soon) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x 400GB Seagate 7200rpm/16mb cache Some super combo drive Windows XP Home/Ubuntu NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech cordless 610w PCP&C silencer TTArmor w/side fan G7 
Mouse Pad
Black IcematII 
  hide details  
Reply
post #160 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrado View Post
Thing with raids though, if you are with your friends, then who cares? I would rather go to a LAN party with guys that are interested in computers and video games than some party with people that i have nothing in common with.
I would also rather go to the LAN party with friends. Maybe I just have a different perspective on it because none of my RL friends played WoW, I was always just playing with people from my guild. I think playing with people you meet online and will never meet IRL is a bit different than playing with RL friends personally. The online folks may indeed be considered friends, but will you still talk to them in 10 years?
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 635 MSI 770 XFX HD4770 2x2 gig ddr3 gskill 1600 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardCase
64gig C300 Windows XP baby Filco Majestouch 2!! (tenkeyless) CM Cosmos 1000 
MouseMouse Pad
MX518 Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 635 MSI 770 XFX HD4770 2x2 gig ddr3 gskill 1600 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardCase
64gig C300 Windows XP baby Filco Majestouch 2!! (tenkeyless) CM Cosmos 1000 
MouseMouse Pad
MX518 Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › My life after quiting video games.