Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Upgrade now or just wait it out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade now or just wait it out.

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
I didn't know in which section to stick this so I posted it here anyways.
Well... I don't know what I should do. I have loved amd but lately they have just not brought out any good processors that could compare to the intels and their prices. Should I consider upgrading to a intel processor or just wait it out until AMD finally brings a processor that can compete with the intels? I am just looking for a opinions thats all. thanks
post #2 of 4
It'll be worth it to wait a few months. Intel price drops, Penryn, and Barcelona are coming this year.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5ghz (1.29v) Asus P8P67 XFX HD 6870 Dual Fan 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120gb Kingston HyperX 3k SSD, 1TB Samsung F3 LITE-ON DVD+/-RW 24X Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix QX2710 Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Antec Truepower New 750W Antec 300 
MouseOther
Logitech G500 Lamptron FC4 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5ghz (1.29v) Asus P8P67 XFX HD 6870 Dual Fan 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120gb Kingston HyperX 3k SSD, 1TB Samsung F3 LITE-ON DVD+/-RW 24X Corsair H70 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix QX2710 Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Antec Truepower New 750W Antec 300 
MouseOther
Logitech G500 Lamptron FC4 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftshinobi View Post
It'll be worth it to wait a few months. Intel price drops, Penryn, and Barcelona are coming this year.
Price drops
Penryn
Barcelona

What more do we need to say?
post #4 of 4
Agreed. Unless you really really need the new computer, I'd wait if I were you. Judging by your specs, I'd say that you have a pretty nice setup already so a couple of months won't hurt. If Barcelona is really the C2D killer we all hope it to be, then you should get that. If you don't want Barcelona, I'm sure Intel will lower prices in competition, so you win either way - lower prices or better performance. Even if Barcelona doesn't perform as hoped, then it would still be cheap and will still outpeform your current rig.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 5000+ BE Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+ Integrated HD3200 2x2GB OCZ DDR2 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Maxtor 40GB Samsung 2220WM 22" Antec Neo HE 550W Ultra Wizard 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 5000+ BE Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+ Integrated HD3200 2x2GB OCZ DDR2 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Maxtor 40GB Samsung 2220WM 22" Antec Neo HE 550W Ultra Wizard 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Upgrade now or just wait it out.