Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Console Gaming › Nintendo › Nintendo Wii Modchips
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nintendo Wii Modchips - Page 2

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDragon View Post
Be very careful here, folks. Wii mod chips are legal for exactly two things: allowing import games to play on your Wii, and running GameCube homebrew. Anything else crosses the line.
I may be wrong, but I thought that Wii mod chips are also legal to use backup games if you own it (if you're worried about breaking or wearing out your disk)
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 Abit IP-35 Pro Diamond HD4870 512MB Corsair 2x2GB 5-5-5-12 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x 74GB WD Raptors Windows Vista ultimate Viewsonic 20.1 Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corssair TX750W CM Cosmos S Logitech G5 F-Func 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4300 Abit IP-35 Pro Diamond HD4870 512MB Corsair 2x2GB 5-5-5-12 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x 74GB WD Raptors Windows Vista ultimate Viewsonic 20.1 Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corssair TX750W CM Cosmos S Logitech G5 F-Func 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
I may be wrong, but I thought that Wii mod chips are also legal to use backup games if you own it (if you're worried about breaking or wearing out your disk)
Afraid not. Making a backup of a disc with copy protection is allowed under copyright law; however, you cannot legally break or bypass the copy protection mechanisms. And that's exactly what you have to do to actually play your backup: bypass the Wii's copy protections that verify the disc as an authentic Wii game disc.

So using a Wii modchip (or a modchip on any game console, actually) to play copied games, even if its a backup of a game you legally purchased, is technically a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. There is no gray area here...zero, zip zilch, nada.
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 15
well the chips i know of is the wiikey
The Wee System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 2600 K ASUS P8P67 Pro CF MSI R6950/70 Flashed 2GB 16 GB Mushkin Silverline 1333 4*4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Solid 3 60GB SSD, 1TB Samsung F1 WIN 7 ULT x64/ MInt Samsung 24" lcd Razor Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouse
1kw BFG Coolermaster HAF 932 Logitec G9 
  hide details  
Reply
The Wee System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 2600 K ASUS P8P67 Pro CF MSI R6950/70 Flashed 2GB 16 GB Mushkin Silverline 1333 4*4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Solid 3 60GB SSD, 1TB Samsung F1 WIN 7 ULT x64/ MInt Samsung 24" lcd Razor Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouse
1kw BFG Coolermaster HAF 932 Logitec G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDragon View Post
Afraid not. Making a backup of a disc with copy protection is allowed under copyright law; however, you cannot legally break or bypass the copy protection mechanisms. And that's exactly what you have to do to actually play your backup: bypass the Wii's copy protections that verify the disc as an authentic Wii game disc.

So using a Wii modchip (or a modchip on any game console, actually) to play copied games, even if its a backup of a game you legally purchased, is technically a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. There is no gray area here...zero, zip zilch, nada.
Doesn't adding a modchip void the warrenty? But, I guess thats not a legal issue. That's a cool avatar by the way.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by APOLLOSTEES View Post
Doesn't adding a modchip void the warrenty? But, I guess thats not a legal issue. That's a cool avatar by the way.
Absolutely, cracking the case open on any console immediately voids the warranty. But correct, nothing illegal about that.
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Nintendo
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Console Gaming › Nintendo › Nintendo Wii Modchips