Originally Posted by hero or zero
so do you guys think that large heatsinks r unavoidable when looking for value for money cooling. Pls feel freeto post any suggestions bout which ones i should get and price
In a manner of speaking...
Consider the properties of a heatsink that will perform beyond the call of duty... this is the pursuit of performance...
- Mass that has inherent superior thermal disipation
- Surface area of the mass
- Air flow across the surface area
- Airflow to feed and exhaust the thermal output.
- Quality of the physical surface contact between all components involved.
- Dual heat transfer elements (fins and heatpipes)
Coolers that fall into all or most of those catagories: (in no particular order)
- Big Typhoon 120
- Thermalright 120
- Noctua 120
- Tuniq 120
- Scythe 120
They are all 120mm coolers. Several of those manufacturers make numerous 120mm fan compatible coolers.
A note about these tower coolers: They are large and some can be alarmingly heavy.
That is not to say that smaller fan diameter coolers won't do the job. Zalman makes a CNPS line that performs quite well, and the coolers don't take up so much real estate or air-space.