Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › Wii outselling PS3 in Japan five-to-one
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wii outselling PS3 in Japan five-to-one - Page 8

post #71 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht View Post
In America, last time i checked, number 1 seller is PS2 and 2nd is PS3 follower by the Wii. The PS3 is like windows vista, so many people hating it because its new and scary drown out the millions who love it.
Step away from the crack pipe. Seriously...what did you do, read some fanboy post claiming that the PS3 is outselling the Wii, and just accept it as fact? Seriously, that's pure fantasy. The Wii is outselling the PS3 two-to-one worldwide.

And here's an interesting analysis I found by bothering to spend, you know, all of 10 seconds actually looking things up before posting...at the six-month point in its lifecycle, the Wii has outsold the PS2 at its six-month point. Any guesses as to which one is dead last? Of course, the six-month point is a far cry from the five-year point; and it may very well turn out that the PS3 is king of the hill four-and-half years from now. But today, there is little debating that the PS3 is the worst console seller in recent history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esco View Post
Funny. People rag on the PS3 eventhough it comes with tons of features and is superior to Wii in every way and worth the $600 price, but just because it does not have great games available now they call it a bust.
Um, yes, exactly right. It's a gaming console. Without great games, it is a bust. All of those "extra features" that allegedly justify the ridiculous $600 price point have nothing to do with gaming, and therefore their "worth the price" measurement is purely subjective. Some folks love the cheap Blu-Ray, and if that makes them happy then good for them. Many of us couldn't give one rat's patoot about a bundled Blu-Ray player, so the lack of games does, in fact, make the PS3 a "bust" at this point in time. When FF13 comes out, maybe it won't be such a bust for me anymore.

Quote:
I do not call Mario and Smash Brothers "big name" titles but that is opinion based. How about starting a NEW franchise NINTENDO? Yet not a single game u stated comes close to matching the games PS3 and X360 are pumping out.
Um, you don't get to decide that Mario isn't a "big name title". Dude, it was the first franchise ever. It is the biggest franchise there is. People buy Nintendo console just to play Mario games, and Zelda with it. Personally, I think Metal Gear Solid games suck rocks; but that doesn't mean I can ignore the fact that it is a blockbuster franchise. Get real.

And don't pretend that the X360 and PS3 aren't overstocked with franshise rehashes, either. It's a problem industry wide, not specific to Nintendo. In fact, it's worse on the other consoles because they are so dependent on third-party developers, whose publishers shy away from risky innovations and prefer established franshises. At least Nintendo is willing to try new things (think Pikmin or Animal Crossing). The fact that the public wants new Mario and Zelda games doesn't invalidate those attempts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman888 View Post
2.Two. those games you say are big dont matter to most people. Not even most people (At least i know) Care about GTA anymore.
Someone already posted the sales figures to disprove this assertion. I just wanted to question why you think people have abandoned GTA? Honestly, GTA:SA was the single best game I played the year it came out. And GTA4 is in my top three games I'm looking forward to (along with BioShock and Starcraft II).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideburns View Post
is it just me, or is this like comparing the fact that Honda sold more Civics than Ferrari sold F430s? ...lol. OF COURSE there's more Wii sales...it's less than half the price! ahaha.
That's a point I often make. PS3 fans often go on and on about the extra features and how it's worth the price...and that's probably true for them. But for the overwhelming masses of Average Joes out there, "cheaper" trumps "better". It shocks me than so many people ignore, don't believe, or just don't "get" this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esco View Post
Nintendo themselves has also admitted that they target the younger market. It is not a stereotype it is from Nintendo's own mouth.
I'm going to have to second the call for on that one. Quite to the contrary, everything I have ever read from Nintendo states that they are trying to make games that everyone can play. That doesn't imply "kiddie", that implies everyone: moms, dads, grandmas, technophobes, non-gamers, everyone. So far, they're doing a great job with that vision.

The self-proclaimed "hardcore gamers" that label this as "kiddie" aren't hardcore at all, they're just narrow minded. Hardcore gamers play all kinds of games.
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Vulcan's PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 970 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 SSD Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W 
CaseMouse
Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 120
Besides. I like playing with my Wii more than my 360.

Heh. playing with wii...
Methuselah
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon Opteron 170 MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum EVGA 7800GS 1GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.5TB NEC DVD Writer Win XP Pro, Ubuntu 7.10 i386 Dell 2407WFP (a04) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Pro White Generic 500W Aerocool Logitech MX510 
Mouse Pad
UPS!!! 
  hide details  
Reply
Methuselah
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon Opteron 170 MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum EVGA 7800GS 1GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.5TB NEC DVD Writer Win XP Pro, Ubuntu 7.10 i386 Dell 2407WFP (a04) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Pro White Generic 500W Aerocool Logitech MX510 
Mouse Pad
UPS!!! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimeraSpore View Post
Besides. I like playing with my Wii more than my 360.

Heh. playing with wii...
:thinking
OH NOES
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2.6Ghz OEM Intel EXTREME!!! 2 2 x 256 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar 80Gb Emachine Cd-RW + Lite On DVD+-RW Windows XP HP CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
emachines 250W Bestec Emachine Labtec 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
OH NOES
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2.6Ghz OEM Intel EXTREME!!! 2 2 x 256 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar 80Gb Emachine Cd-RW + Lite On DVD+-RW Windows XP HP CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
emachines 250W Bestec Emachine Labtec 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 120
My little brother works at gamestop and he said they barley ever sells ps3's but when the Wii's come in they sellout in an hour. I also have a friend that works a target and he said everytime they get Wii's the employees would leak the info and the next morning ppl are waiting at 8:00 outside to get a wii.
Antec 900
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe core 2 duo e6420 Evga 680i sli Evga 8800 640mb gts G.Skill 2x 1 gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 320 Sata Lite-on DvdBurner Window XP Pro eMachine 19" widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft generic Antec truepower trio 650w Antec 900 Microsoft generic 
Mouse Pad
Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
Antec 900
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe core 2 duo e6420 Evga 680i sli Evga 8800 640mb gts G.Skill 2x 1 gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 320 Sata Lite-on DvdBurner Window XP Pro eMachine 19" widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft generic Antec truepower trio 650w Antec 900 Microsoft generic 
Mouse Pad
Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 120
i still say the wii sucks
post #76 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner340 View Post
i still say the wii sucks
*Enter 3 Paragraphs ranting about how the wii rules*

Its gonna happen in about.. 5 minutes or so I bet..
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDragon View Post
Step away from the crack pipe. Seriously...what did you do, read some fanboy post claiming that the PS3 is outselling the Wii, and just accept it as fact? Seriously, that's pure fantasy. The Wii is outselling the PS3 two-to-one worldwide.

And here's an interesting analysis I found by bothering to spend, you know, all of 10 seconds actually looking things up before posting...at the six-month point in its lifecycle, the Wii has outsold the PS2 at its six-month point. Any guesses as to which one is dead last? Of course, the six-month point is a far cry from the five-year point; and it may very well turn out that the PS3 is king of the hill four-and-half years from now. But today, there is little debating that the PS3 is the worst console seller in recent history.



Um, yes, exactly right. It's a gaming console. Without great games, it is a bust. All of those "extra features" that allegedly justify the ridiculous $600 price point have nothing to do with gaming, and therefore their "worth the price" measurement is purely subjective. Some folks love the cheap Blu-Ray, and if that makes them happy then good for them. Many of us couldn't give one rat's patoot about a bundled Blu-Ray player, so the lack of games does, in fact, make the PS3 a "bust" at this point in time. When FF13 comes out, maybe it won't be such a bust for me anymore.



Um, you don't get to decide that Mario isn't a "big name title". Dude, it was the first franchise ever. It is the biggest franchise there is. People buy Nintendo console just to play Mario games, and Zelda with it. Personally, I think Metal Gear Solid games suck rocks; but that doesn't mean I can ignore the fact that it is a blockbuster franchise. Get real.

And don't pretend that the X360 and PS3 aren't overstocked with franshise rehashes, either. It's a problem industry wide, not specific to Nintendo. In fact, it's worse on the other consoles because they are so dependent on third-party developers, whose publishers shy away from risky innovations and prefer established franshises. At least Nintendo is willing to try new things (think Pikmin or Animal Crossing). The fact that the public wants new Mario and Zelda games doesn't invalidate those attempts.



Someone already posted the sales figures to disprove this assertion. I just wanted to question why you think people have abandoned GTA? Honestly, GTA:SA was the single best game I played the year it came out. And GTA4 is in my top three games I'm looking forward to (along with BioShock and Starcraft II).



That's a point I often make. PS3 fans often go on and on about the extra features and how it's worth the price...and that's probably true for them. But for the overwhelming masses of Average Joes out there, "cheaper" trumps "better". It shocks me than so many people ignore, don't believe, or just don't "get" this.



I'm going to have to second the call for on that one. Quite to the contrary, everything I have ever read from Nintendo states that they are trying to make games that everyone can play. That doesn't imply "kiddie", that implies everyone: moms, dads, grandmas, technophobes, non-gamers, everyone. So far, they're doing a great job with that vision.

The self-proclaimed "hardcore gamers" that label this as "kiddie" aren't hardcore at all, they're just narrow minded. Hardcore gamers play all kinds of games.
VulcanDragon both the X360 and the PS3 are both being advertised by their respective companies as FULL entertainment centers. Yes there are also many of use with 1080p tvs who enjoy every feature both the X360 and PS3 provide. How is the price ridiculous? How is the value subjective? All you need do is research the going price on every main component that makes up the PS3 and you will notice the asking price is fair. Many have the patience to wait for upcoming games.

Look through many video game magazines and you will notice that PS3 is voted to have the best coming lineup of upcoming games. PS3 also has access to hundreds of games from PS1 and PS2 that is you own u can play on ur new system and offer upscaling if you have a HDTV. Like many have stated. What games does the Wii have out right now not multiplatform that are major sellers? Zelda.....

Could care less if it is the "first franchise ever" or the "biggest franchise there is". Mario has become like Final Fantasy and Madden. Great past achievements but now live off a name with few if any innovations. How can you try and compare Mario to games like Metal Gear 4 and Mass Effect which are pushing the level of the current video game industry to its limits?

Cheaper is better? So Honda makes better cars then BMW? Panasonic makes better TVs than Samsung? Or maybe Emachines makes better PCs then Dell? The Wii is cheap mainly because other than the wireless controller there was not a single drop of sweat involved in its development. The system is "barely" more powerful thana XBOX 1. Nintendo would have been laughed at if they tried to charge more.

You know why i started to hate Nintendo? Because they started to think they are the parents of the gaming world. They sugar coat it by saying they make games everyone can play. Sony makes different games to satisfy the ENTIRE market. They makes games for everyone. They have their kiddy games also like Rachet and Clank and Banjoe, but they also have games like GTA and God of War. Sony does not try to b your parent. If gamers want it they will make it.
Red Mamba
(12 items)
 
Little Titan
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 6700k MSI Gaming M7 MSI 980ti Gaming 6G MSI 980ti Gaming 6G 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4 3200 Samsung 840 256GB Samsung 840 1TB EVO Corsair H100i GTX 
OSKeyboardCaseMouse
Windows 10 Pro Corsasir Strafe RGB Stealth NZXT H440 Corsair RGB M65 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz P8Z77-I Deluxe Palit GTX Titan @ Stock GSkill Sniper 16gb 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OS: Samsung 840 256gb Storage: Seagate 2Tb Corsair H100i Windows 7 Ultimate 
PowerCase
Corsair HX 750 Bitfenix Prodigy  
  hide details  
Reply
Red Mamba
(12 items)
 
Little Titan
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 6700k MSI Gaming M7 MSI 980ti Gaming 6G MSI 980ti Gaming 6G 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4 3200 Samsung 840 256GB Samsung 840 1TB EVO Corsair H100i GTX 
OSKeyboardCaseMouse
Windows 10 Pro Corsasir Strafe RGB Stealth NZXT H440 Corsair RGB M65 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz P8Z77-I Deluxe Palit GTX Titan @ Stock GSkill Sniper 16gb 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OS: Samsung 840 256gb Storage: Seagate 2Tb Corsair H100i Windows 7 Ultimate 
PowerCase
Corsair HX 750 Bitfenix Prodigy  
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 120
Xbox 360 - Have
Gears of War - Have
Forza Motorsport 2 - Have
Halo 3 - Wait and see...
Test Drive Unlimited - Have
Too Human - Maybe
Lost Planet - Maybe
RS:V - Maybe (looks fun)
GTA 4 - Will get
PGR3 and 4 - Have 3, might get 4 (Forza 2 FTW)
NFSrostreet - Looks like Forza 2 w/ more intense cosmetic damage and less simulation (maybe)
Ace Combat 6 - OH FO SHO
Assassins Creed - Eh, maybe
COD 4 - If its better than 2 and 3
DiRT - Will get

Ps3 - Will get
GT5 - Hell yes *selling point for console*
MGS4 - Yeah
Socom - Chea!
Ace Combat 6 - Will get for 360
Tekken - Nope

Wii - Hate it
Unto The Void
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6800k Gigabyte G1 X99-Phoenix SLI Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 32GB RipJaw 4 DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 500GB Crucial M4 2 x Spinpoint F1 Samsung 850 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 LG Ultrawide 29" Asus 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 810 EVGA P2 650 Watt In Win 303 Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
Unto The Void
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6800k Gigabyte G1 X99-Phoenix SLI Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 32GB RipJaw 4 DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 500GB Crucial M4 2 x Spinpoint F1 Samsung 850 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 LG Ultrawide 29" Asus 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 810 EVGA P2 650 Watt In Win 303 Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 120
Our family just picked up a Wii and it rocks!

I think Bowling and Baseball (Wii Sports) are my favorites so far.

Any recommends on what other games are good to get (have not had the time to research)? Any good car racing games (miss the old Grand Turismo days back in college)?
PacMan4
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e6420 @ 3.0Ghz eVGA 680i LT eVGA 8800 GTS 640mb @648/1015 4GB OCZ Platinum 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
320 Western Digital DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW Windows Vista Home Premium 620W Corsair HX 
Case
CoolerMaster 730 
  hide details  
Reply
PacMan4
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e6420 @ 3.0Ghz eVGA 680i LT eVGA 8800 GTS 640mb @648/1015 4GB OCZ Platinum 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
320 Western Digital DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW Windows Vista Home Premium 620W Corsair HX 
Case
CoolerMaster 730 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 120
^^

Exite Truck looks Fun
Paper Mario
Zelda.
OH NOES
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2.6Ghz OEM Intel EXTREME!!! 2 2 x 256 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar 80Gb Emachine Cd-RW + Lite On DVD+-RW Windows XP HP CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
emachines 250W Bestec Emachine Labtec 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
OH NOES
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2.6Ghz OEM Intel EXTREME!!! 2 2 x 256 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar 80Gb Emachine Cd-RW + Lite On DVD+-RW Windows XP HP CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
emachines 250W Bestec Emachine Labtec 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › Wii outselling PS3 in Japan five-to-one