Overclock.net banner

where do you put your hard drives in your armor?

967 views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  s1rrah 
#1 ·
Just got my armor w/25cm side fan and about switch everything over. Where do you guys mount your hard drives? I would think putting them in the cage by the front intake fan would inhibit airflow through the rest of the case? Is there a benefit to putting them there or is cooling the hard drives not necessary? Putting them at the top rear by the exhaust fan a better idea? Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
3 drives, 1 sata

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknownroad
View Post

Just got my armor w/25cm side fan and about switch everything over. Where do you guys mount your hard drives? I would think putting them in the cage by the front intake fan would inhibit airflow through the rest of the case? Is there a benefit to putting them there or is cooling the hard drives not necessary? Putting them at the top rear by the exhaust fan a better idea? Thanks in advance.

I have my two drives in the top cage, beneath the power supply.

As with yourself, my concern was good flow from the front (I've got two 120mm's in the front) and I sort of like the idea of the 92mm fan right behind them exhausting the HD heat out the back of the case.

No problems so far ... been running solid for about 5 months now. I've got one SATA and one IDE at the moment.

I just ordered a couple of 3 foot SATA cables which will clean things up a bit (can route behind motherboard, etc.) but overall, mounting in the top does help with the wire management, especially if you have *LOTS* of other wires to deal with.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post
cool, thanks for the input!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahtareika View Post
On another note: Can you go to your user CP and fill in your system specs? It will make it easier to offer help and suggestions. TY
done

#9 ·
I've used both spots before. I tend to use the one by the PSU the most though as rads tend to take up my front spots.

#10 ·
Near the DVD drive.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke
View Post

Near the DVD drive.

Good point!

The front drive cage is totally mobile. Forgot about that ...

#12 ·
Thanks for the responses. So top front is a better spot than having it in front of the rear exhaust fan that might draw out heat they may create?

#13 ·
Quote:

View Post

Thanks for the responses. So top front is a better spot than having it in front of the rear exhaust fan that might draw out heat they may create?

Even if the drives are in the front-top ... the heat from the drives have no place to go but UP and so the top exhaust on the armor will take care of that ... as well as any that migrates to the back top-exhaust fans ...

Better yet ... remove all that plastic bling on the top of your armor and strap a quiet 120mm fan in as the top exhaust:

That stock top exhaust, with all that plastic in front of it ... just doesn't move much air...

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah
View Post

Better yet ... remove all that plastic bling on the top of your armor and strap a quiet 120mm fan in as the top exhaust

for sure, was planning on doing that! Your case looks great BTW.

#15 ·
Quote:

View Post

for sure, was planning on doing that! Your case looks great BTW.

The scythe 120mm fan I installed puts out a TON of air compared to the stock setup.

RE: the case ...

I've had to move some things around as you can see ... the side panel fan wouldn't co exist with my Infinity cooler so had to move it to the outside ...

• Rep+
Reactions: grunion
#16 ·
I have my 3 Raptors in the cage next to the PSU, the fan blowing into the cage. Temps are good, Raptorx runs 26-29°c, don't know what the array temps are, but before the array they were the same as the RaptorX.

@ s1rrah.. It's you that gave me the notion to place my 25cm on the outside.
I couldn't remember where I saw the pic, then bam right there it is

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

@ s1rrah.. It's you that gave me the notion to place my 25cm on the outside. I couldn't remember where I saw the pic, then bam right there it is

funny ...

You most likely saw it in the Infinity review that's in my sig ... did that a while back.

I think it's actually better at component cooling being an inch or so higher above the board ... gives the air a chance to better distribute before hitting the MB components ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.