Overclock.net banner

Barebones Linux SMP folding cd

526 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  biatchi 
#1 ·
i just found this site that lets you make a 5mb linux smp folding cd. all you do is enter a few details and download the iso.
i just tried it and it works a treat. there is also a vmware image. looks very handy for folding farms and stuff.

dont know if this has already been posted or not but i couldnt see it when i searched

#2 ·
just realised the same site has normal 32 bit folding cd and usb pen plus folding benchmark cd and some info on diskless folding as well. worth a read if your into this kinda stuff

#3 ·
I tried this out. It is some pretty cool stuff. The one drawback is if you have to reboot, because it is setup to be diskless, you loose any work you were doing. I think there is some ways to setup backup over the lan, but I did not get that far before moving to playing around with USB boot drives.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knitelife View Post
One nice thing is you can use VMWare with one of the version. Then you can pause vmware, and still not loose the WU on reboot.
very handy. these should be slightly quicker as im guessing there is nothing else going on using cpu cycles. how much faster than a dedicated rig running a full 64 distro i dont know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.