Originally Posted by ElMikeTheMike
Since not too many folks are overly familiar with what the PS3 can do, I thought I'd make a nice list of its functionality. Hopefully this can help people decide which model console to get, and answer the question - What all can the PS3 do?
This list is primarily based off the 60 GB model and is focused on what the PS3 has and what it can do. That's all. Please avoid any flaming - I'm simply pointing out what the PS3 is capable of, mainly from my own experience. This is NOT
a list of what the 360 can't do!!
Other PS3 owners, please chime in! I'm sure to forget some things. I'll credit you with your contributions
The Playstation 3 Has/Is:
With the PS3 & Firmware 2.01, You Can:
- Built-in blue tooth for controllers, headsets, remotes, keyboards, etc.
- Rechargeable game controllers.
- Built-in WiFi for wireless internet, as well as a normal network port.
- Built-in multi-card reader.
- 4 USB ports.
- Slot-loading Blu-Ray/DVD disc player.
- One HDMI 1.3 output.
- One optical output.
- One Standard A/V Multi Output.
- DLNP (media) Compliant.
- Supports resolutions from 480i to 1080p.
- Supports 8 audio channels (7.1).
- Vibration Support for Controllers (with Sixaxis 3 Controllers, coming soon)
More on Movie Playback:
- Play games at resolutions up to 1080p.
- Play old PS1/2 games and upscale them (now with adjustable settings).
- Play supported games online (for free).
- Play Blu-Ray movies.
- Play normal DVD9 movies and upscale them.
- Play every disc format, including SACD.
- Import audio CD's to internal HDD (supported formats: ACC, MP3, ATRAC).
- Encode Dolby TrueHD sound.
- Connect to and browse the internet.
- Use almost any USB mouse/keyboard.
- Connect to your home network for streaming media (picture, music, movies).
- Can Fold.
- Connect to your PSP (via ad hoc mode, or over the internet) for streaming media (remote play).
- Download game demos/content as well as hi-def movie trailers from the PS Store (supports multiple downloads).
- Buy and download PS1 and PSP games via the PS Store.
- Run an alternative operating system (linux).
- Chat and send messages (chat, video, voice) with other PS3 users.
- Print pictures with a supported printer.
- Upgrade the internal HDD to any 2.5" hard drive.
- Connect and use external USB hard drives and other devices.
- Use your cell phone's Blue-Tooth headset.
- Use emoticons during chat.
- Use custom backgrounds.
- Use custom themes and icons in the XMB.
- Turn on the PS3 via PSP with Remote Play.
- View news and other information from the XMB via Information Board.
More on Audio Playback:
- Time to start up a Blu-Ray from insertion of disc: ~20 seconds, depending on the movie.
- Time to start up a Blu-ray, already inserted, from the XMB: ~15 seconds, depending on the movie.
- (Clock was stopped when the first image of the disc appeared)
- (Times were about the same for normal DVD9)
- Time to start up a movie on the network: Instantaneous.
- Networked movies can be viewed in three modes: Zoomed, Normal, and Orignal.
- The audio of networked movies can be amplified or lowered from the on-screen menu during playback.
- Access the XMB during network movie playback.
- Performs all the same functions as the typical DVD/BR Player.
- BR playback at 1080p 24Hz supported.
- PS3 / Blu-Ray Video Codecs: AVCHD, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), SMPTE VC-1.
More on the Sixaxis Controller:
- CD output options for 44/1/88.2/176.4 kHz.
- Has two varying visualizations during playback.
- Access the XMB during playback.
- Create custom playlists.
- Networked audio volume can be adjusted from the on-screen menu.
- Rip CD's directly to the HDD for playback.
- Blu-Ray Audio Codecs: Linera PCM, DD, DD+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS Digital Surround, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio.
Latest Firmware Information
- PS3 supports up to 7 blue-tooth controllers simultaneously.
- Uses an internal lithium-ion battery; Charged via USB.
- Single charge lasts around 30 hours.
- Can play with or without USB cable while charging.
- Vibration/Runble Support coming soon.
- Gives some motion sensing capabalities to the PS3, similar to Wii.
- Is a palindrome.
PS Network Status
Firmware Update History
More to come. Feel free to make corrections/contributions/etc.