Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › I need a new motherboard!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need a new motherboard! - Page 2

post #11 of 46
For the P5N32-E SLI, all six SATA ports are indeed on the Southbridge.

I assume that for the P5K Deluxe the 6 internal ports are on the southbridge also, while I am not sure about the 2 external ports.

Of course, the P5K Deluxe does x16, x4 in Crossfire, effectively rendering it useless with DX10 cards.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 46
Thread Starter 
The P5K is Penryn capable, too, right?

I just wish it had x8, x8 instead...

I don't plan on getting crossfire or SLI any time soon. I am not going to buy 2 cards just to run games at decent settings; game manufacturers need to improve their DX10 games first.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 46
Yeah, the P5K will do Penryn.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 46
Thread Starter 
I also wish the vanilla P5K weren't so butt-ugly... I don't need the wireless capabilities.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131180

If I bought aftermarket SB cooling, would the vanilla P5K I linked to above in this post OC as well as the P5K Deluxe/WiFi?
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozart View Post
For the P5N32-E SLI, all six SATA ports are indeed on the Southbridge.

I assume that for the P5K Deluxe the 6 internal ports are on the southbridge also, while I am not sure about the 2 external ports.

Of course, the P5K Deluxe does x16, x4 in Crossfire, effectively rendering it useless with DX10 cards.
The 2 Esata are on the Jmicron Controler like I said up there ^^
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
I also wish the vanilla P5K weren't so butt-ugly... I don't need the wireless capabilities.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131180

If I bought aftermarket SB cooling, would the vanilla P5K I linked to above in this post OC as well as the P5K Deluxe/WiFi?
Your sb cooling wont matter. Here is what I have on my deluxe. Your NB cooling is going to be the most important. Mine was running very hot until I dropped aftermarket on it.





And I know CyberDruid was getting excellent overclocks on his P5K Vanilla.
post #17 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silviastud View Post
Your sb cooling wont matter. Here is what I have on my deluxe. Your NB cooling is going to be the most important. Mine was running very hot until I dropped aftermarket on it.





And I know CyberDruid was getting excellent overclocks on his P5K Vanilla.
Until I get my own house (I'm in an apartment for another year at least), no water-cooling. Is the crappy chipset cooling and lack of wifi the only thing that the vanilla lacks compared to the deluxe/wifi version?

Was CyberDruid using after-market cooling?

Edit: It looks like there are 2 less SATA ports for the vanilla.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 46
The P5K doesn't have raid options onboard. It only uses the ICH9 SB Chipset. Only 5 internal sata ports and one external which leads me to believe there is no Jmicron controler and they are all on the SB maybe?

The factory cooling is different but prolly not that big of deal. I have heard there are less options in the bios.
post #19 of 46
Thread Starter 
So the P5K Deluxe is probably worth the extra money then...

I think I'm leaning towards the P5K Deluxe simply for the better memory speeds and Penryn compatibility. I have a 100cfm fan blowing on the motherboard so I'm not worried about cooling the chipset.

The only question left is that I thought the Penryn CPU was supposed to do DDR3? If so, why is it on a DDR2 motherboard? Or is that all in the northbridge (i.e. I could take a Penryn out of this motherboard and put it in a DDR3 motherboard as long as the motherboard supported DDR3)?
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
So the P5K Deluxe is probably worth the extra money then...

I think I'm leaning towards the P5K Deluxe simply for the better memory speeds and Penryn compatibility. I have a 100cfm fan blowing on the motherboard so I'm not worried about cooling the chipset.

The only question left is that I thought the Penryn CPU was supposed to do DDR3? If so, why is it on a DDR2 motherboard? Or is that all in the northbridge (i.e. I could take a Penryn out of this motherboard and put it in a DDR3 motherboard as long as the motherboard supported DDR3)?
Yeah there are three versions of this board:

P5K Vanilla

P5K-Deluxe DDR2

P5K3-Deluxe DDR3

The 2 deluxe boards are basically the same on just supports DDR3. The Penryn work in both.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › I need a new motherboard!