Yesterday was an awesome day! I got to work and my PerformancePC
order was there waiting for me. This was the most important order, IMO, because it has my black rivets!! And 2 different fan controllers that are also very sexy. To make things even better, I was let out of work early because it was so dead... So, breaking every speed limit along the way I went home and popped my baby back together!
I laid everything out and dry-fitted it together, then placed the rivets in their respective holes, making sure everything lined up w/o problems. I did just the rear corners first, and then all the other rivets between. Everything went well until I got around to the front of the case - I didn't place all the rivets in the holes as I did with the rear, and I began having some small alignment issues on the last few rivets. The holes between panels were slightly off (0.5mm, roughly - enough to prevent a rivet from seating), but this was easily fixed with a drill and a 1/8" bit to open the hole up a tiny bit.
Unfortunatly, some of the paint around the rivets set in recessed holes chipped because the head of the rivet gun was flush against the paint, and unless you have a really steady hand it tends to jump a slight bit as the pin of the rivet snaps. These blemishes will be dealt with by spraying a bit of paint into a bottle cap and using a brush to detail by hand. Then a quick spot of clear should cover things up nicely. I plan on using the same method to paint all the fan and mounting screws to match.
The top panel acts as a Keystone, holding the case rigid and square, but I can't install it until I cut the window, prime & paint, and install the window and fans. Without the panel in place, the case was pretty wobbly, and would easily go out of true if pushed or bumped. I decided to screw a couple of drives in place to hold it rigid enough for the time being. After the case panels were assembled, I put on the caster wheels and installed 2 CoolerMaster 120mm UV Blue fans with vibration dampening gaskets.
Well, here's the geek porn ~
I didn't want to mess up my sexy new paint job with the thumb and mounting screws, so I made some 1mm thick rubber washers from some small black rubber hose I found at the local Auto Store. This way I can crank down on the screws and it won't mar or chip the paint. Also, I'm hoping that it may help to cut vibration levels (and thus sound) in the case.
As an added bonus, I just checked my email and my order of Acrylic Sheeting should arrive tomorrow - My Birthday! Still waiting for my LSDiodes order, however.... Need that one to complete my HDD Mod.