Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Best Gaming Headsets
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Gaming Headsets - Page 3

post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sladesurfer View Post
get medusa headsets
QFT - Medusa 5.1 are incredible once you get them configured right. If you hook them up and play without messing with the settings sounds behind you will sound weird, but once you get them working right... Heavenly! I can't recommend them enough - even the packaging is high class: they come in a little box lined with velvet and tied with a little red ribbon

I'm on my 2nd pair now - my little brother dropped the old ones off a balcony... They survived the 2 story fall onto concrete, still working fine but the headband is snapped and they don't sit right on your head anymore Incredible headphones, great sound, the mic is very clear, I can't recommend them enough.

Check out some online reviews for yourself I bet you'll have a hard time finding a negative review of them.
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 635 MSI 770 XFX HD4770 2x2 gig ddr3 gskill 1600 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardCase
64gig C300 Windows XP baby Filco Majestouch 2!! (tenkeyless) CM Cosmos 1000 
MouseMouse Pad
MX518 Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 635 MSI 770 XFX HD4770 2x2 gig ddr3 gskill 1600 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardCase
64gig C300 Windows XP baby Filco Majestouch 2!! (tenkeyless) CM Cosmos 1000 
MouseMouse Pad
MX518 Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelirrojo View Post
QFT - Medusa 5.1 are incredible once you get them configured right. If you hook them up and play without messing with the settings sounds behind you will sound weird, but once you get them working right... Heavenly! I can't recommend them enough - even the packaging is high class: they come in a little box lined with velvet and tied with a little red ribbon

I'm on my 2nd pair now - my little brother dropped the old ones off a balcony... They survived the 2 story fall onto concrete, still working fine but the headband is snapped and they don't sit right on your head anymore Incredible headphones, great sound, the mic is very clear, I can't recommend them enough.

Check out some online reviews for yourself I bet you'll have a hard time finding a negative review of them.
Ok, I'm bumping this thread for I too somewhat have a need here.

Are those Medusa's good sound quality?
I'm looking for a headset that sounds GOOD (music, games, especially music), but also needs a mic. It doesn't need to be the BEST sounding thing ever, but it needs to be (much) better than average. Is this the headset I'm looking for?
Project Overclock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe E6600 ASUS P5B Deluxe PNY 8800GTS 320MB G.SKILL 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 GB SATA SATA DVD-ROM Windows XP Dell 17" Upgrading ASAP 
PowerCase
OCZ GameXStream 600W Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Overclock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe E6600 ASUS P5B Deluxe PNY 8800GTS 320MB G.SKILL 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 GB SATA SATA DVD-ROM Windows XP Dell 17" Upgrading ASAP 
PowerCase
OCZ GameXStream 600W Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mig0d View Post
Ok, I'm bumping this thread for I too somewhat have a need here.

Are those Medusa's good sound quality?
I'm looking for a headset that sounds GOOD (music, games, especially music), but also needs a mic. It doesn't need to be the BEST sounding thing ever, but it needs to be (much) better than average. Is this the headset I'm looking for?

since you want music, games, and music you really NEED to get stereo cans.

Medusa's will be good for gaming, and surround sound music. But will be lacking for music.

You would be better off getting a good pair of cans and using the X-Fi to simulate positional audio (which will probably be better than the Medusas anyway) and then get sepurb sound for your music instead of just alright sound.
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
since you want music, games, and music you really NEED to get stereo cans.

Medusa's will be good for gaming, and surround sound music. But will be lacking for music.

You would be better off getting a good pair of cans and using the X-Fi to simulate positional audio (which will probably be better than the Medusas anyway) and then get sepurb sound for your music instead of just alright sound.
So basically, I'm not going to find a good quality sound headphones with a mic? Hmm.
Project Overclock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe E6600 ASUS P5B Deluxe PNY 8800GTS 320MB G.SKILL 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 GB SATA SATA DVD-ROM Windows XP Dell 17" Upgrading ASAP 
PowerCase
OCZ GameXStream 600W Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Overclock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe E6600 ASUS P5B Deluxe PNY 8800GTS 320MB G.SKILL 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 GB SATA SATA DVD-ROM Windows XP Dell 17" Upgrading ASAP 
PowerCase
OCZ GameXStream 600W Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 35
ive been advised to look into the sennheiser PC-series. they're budget headsets.
even if they turn out bad, you wont waste much.
post #26 of 35
I got these Zalmans

I like them, not much BASS though,but a definite improvement over 2.1 speakers in online FPS games. Reviewed at x-bit labs hereor at firingsquad.
arrrrgh
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @3.4'ish ASUS P5E XFX HD6950 s/w to HD6970 4GB OCZ DDR2 1066 @850 4-4-4-12 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
3x1TB & 3x320GB Barracuda's Win 7 Ultimate 64 & XP PRO X64 ACER P243W 1920x1200 :D Logitech DiNovo 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ModXstream 700W Lian-li PC-A71B G5 Everglide Ricochet 
  hide details  
Reply
arrrrgh
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @3.4'ish ASUS P5E XFX HD6950 s/w to HD6970 4GB OCZ DDR2 1066 @850 4-4-4-12 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
3x1TB & 3x320GB Barracuda's Win 7 Ultimate 64 & XP PRO X64 ACER P243W 1920x1200 :D Logitech DiNovo 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ModXstream 700W Lian-li PC-A71B G5 Everglide Ricochet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 35
I have this

pc155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6381&Tpk=pc155

but I will be changing to pc165 as soon as this break (never had em for more then 3 years)

pc165
http://techgage.com/article/sennheis...5_usb_headset/
My love machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2.9 MacBook Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
512 SSD OSX El Capitan 13.3" 60W 
Case
MacBook 
  hide details  
Reply
My love machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2.9 MacBook Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
512 SSD OSX El Capitan 13.3" 60W 
Case
MacBook 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 35
Well, I'm not an audiophile so I can't really comment on the sound quality of my Medusa's. They certainly sound better than any headphones I've ever tried before, but I don't have a very wide range of experience there.

I would agree with soloz2 that stereo headphones are probably the way to go. I disagree that the x-fi's positional simulation thing will be better at creating directional sound, but you could almost certainly get headphones with better sound quality and have passable directional sound for gaming and whatnot.

To be honest, sometimes listening to music with surround sound is annoying... when something is recorded off-balance or one side is louder than the other, etc.

Then again, most digital music is very low quality... Would headphones with incredible sound quality go to waste if you're using them for mp3s and whatnot? I mean, my Medusa's are pretty damn good, just probably not $500 studio sound quality good. Would you really be able to notice a difference if you're mostly listening to music on the computer?

I dunno man, I'm a noob at the sound stuff... But I can tell you that I love my Medusas and I'd recommend them to any gamer. Maybe somebody who is an audiophile and has experience with them and other cans can shine some light on this, as I'm not sure how they stack up against other headphones for sound quality. They're great for movies though I recall watching Braveheart and hearing horses from behind and thinking "Man, this kicks arse!"
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 635 MSI 770 XFX HD4770 2x2 gig ddr3 gskill 1600 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardCase
64gig C300 Windows XP baby Filco Majestouch 2!! (tenkeyless) CM Cosmos 1000 
MouseMouse Pad
MX518 Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 635 MSI 770 XFX HD4770 2x2 gig ddr3 gskill 1600 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardCase
64gig C300 Windows XP baby Filco Majestouch 2!! (tenkeyless) CM Cosmos 1000 
MouseMouse Pad
MX518 Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelirrojo View Post
Well, I'm not an audiophile so I can't really comment on the sound quality of my Medusa's. They certainly sound better than any headphones I've ever tried before, but I don't have a very wide range of experience there.

I would agree with soloz2 that stereo headphones are probably the way to go. I disagree that the x-fi's positional simulation thing will be better at creating directional sound, but you could almost certainly get headphones with better sound quality and have passable directional sound for gaming and whatnot.

To be honest, sometimes listening to music with surround sound is annoying... when something is recorded off-balance or one side is louder than the other, etc.

Then again, most digital music is very low quality... Would headphones with incredible sound quality go to waste if you're using them for mp3s and whatnot? I mean, my Medusa's are pretty damn good, just probably not $500 studio sound quality good. Would you really be able to notice a difference if you're mostly listening to music on the computer?

I dunno man, I'm a noob at the sound stuff... But I can tell you that I love my Medusas and I'd recommend them to any gamer. Maybe somebody who is an audiophile and has experience with them and other cans can shine some light on this, as I'm not sure how they stack up against other headphones for sound quality. They're great for movies though I recall watching Braveheart and hearing horses from behind and thinking "Man, this kicks arse!"
Well, that's the thing. Lately, music is becoming a much more important thing in my life. i couldn't tell you why, just the fact that I'm lately obsessed with music. Sound quality never really mattered to me, but now I'm kind of interested in getting something that sounds great. I've always had subpar speakers and headphones all my life.
And now, my speakers are dying, and my headset is extremely uncomfortable to wear, as well as not very good sound. So it's the perfect time to pick up something good. I would just get some speakers, but I know my mom would kill me within a week. If she can so much as HEAR my music, she tells me to turn it down. With any bass added into the mix, it would most certainly piss her off, so I'm looking for some good headphones (preferrably a headset so I don't have to switch between good quality and crappy quality every time I need to jump on vent)
Project Overclock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe E6600 ASUS P5B Deluxe PNY 8800GTS 320MB G.SKILL 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 GB SATA SATA DVD-ROM Windows XP Dell 17" Upgrading ASAP 
PowerCase
OCZ GameXStream 600W Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Overclock
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe E6600 ASUS P5B Deluxe PNY 8800GTS 320MB G.SKILL 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 GB SATA SATA DVD-ROM Windows XP Dell 17" Upgrading ASAP 
PowerCase
OCZ GameXStream 600W Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mig0d View Post
Well, that's the thing. Lately, music is becoming a much more important thing in my life. i couldn't tell you why, just the fact that I'm lately obsessed with music. Sound quality never really mattered to me, but now I'm kind of interested in getting something that sounds great. I've always had subpar speakers and headphones all my life.
And now, my speakers are dying, and my headset is extremely uncomfortable to wear, as well as not very good sound. So it's the perfect time to pick up something good. I would just get some speakers, but I know my mom would kill me within a week. If she can so much as HEAR my music, she tells me to turn it down. With any bass added into the mix, it would most certainly piss her off, so I'm looking for some good headphones (preferrably a headset so I don't have to switch between good quality and crappy quality every time I need to jump on vent)
welcome to the path my friend.

I was once just like you. I thought $25 was a lot to spend on headphones, and then a few years ago I got a pair of Senn PMX200's that cost me about $50, and was amazed by how much better my mp3's sounded. This led me down the path of wondering 'if this is what $50 sounds like, what dose $100 sound like?' lol. Then I got a used pair of Senn HD595's for $125 and was blown away by how good my music and games sounded. I got a LDM+ headphone amp that I could use both at home and on the go. A few months later I built a maxed PIMETA desktop amp. Since then I've tried several different amp/can combinations. I've bought cans just to listen to them and then sold them a month later It was all done for the pure joy of listening to music. I've also gotten into classical and jazz music, as well as rock/alternative. (and other genres) There's nothing like putting in your favorite disc and listening to the music come alive. you get a silly grin on your face and you're sky high (in a good way)

My most recent purchase was a slightly used SinglePower PPX3 6CG7 headphone amp. I paid $425 shipped, and that was a steal! I've since rounded out to about $500 with some various tubes to roll to see what I like best. Sound is not only a hobby, but a drive.
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Best Gaming Headsets