Overclock.net banner

Ultra X3 1600W Modular Quad-SLI Ready Power Supply [ULT40070]

3K views 55 replies 37 participants last post by  retro41 
#1 ·
Quote:

X3® Modular Power Supplies
Ultra pulls out all of the stops for their latest power supply. By combining our "EE" (Energy Efficient) platform, which converts as much as 85% of AC power into DC power during typical loads, with a quiet 135MM ball bearing fan, our patented modular interface and our Limited Lifetime Warranty, Ultra clearly dominates the market with the new X3 power supply!

I was checking out FrozenCPU this morning looking for a couple things, and this was on the front page. Not sure if any of the review sites has one of these units, but it's listed as pre-order on F-CPU.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/56...ml?id=DCAjvvvm

Thought it was an interesting sight.

Edit: HOLY CRAP! 150A (1800W) Single 12V Rail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2000W Max Combined usage, and the power plug is even different than your typical PSU. Man, now we need a single breaker just to power the computer itself.

See less See more
#2 ·
I only need 350watts on my rig so I have no clue who would need that, honestly, I think they should not allow the sale or use of 1k+ watt power supplies. They are wasting power on nothing necessary. I hate how this industry is going, its wasteful.

#4 ·
I got a 700W Power Supply because I wanted to be future proof, and I hope that I never have to upgrade it again. Intel and AMD are just making motherboards with more sockets and processors with more cores (lately). Also, ATi and nVidia have been producing power-hungry graphics cards. I hope that Intel brings 45nm chips soon that run cooler and more effeciently instead of running 4 Quad Cores on a Server Board.

I think this is the biggest waste. I was reading a news article about an Eco-Friendly Skyscraper and it said that one Bank of America branch uses 7kW of Power. If a whole building filled with lights, computers, and security devices only uses 7,000W why should our computers use 2,000W?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladesurfer

Quad core + 2900 CF + water with TEC and 10 Hard drives. Still wont use over 700w

Good to know, even though I hate Raid (and probably will never set it up again) and cannot justify cooling electric components with water (something just doesn't sit well in my mind). I bet I'll never use more than 500W in this rig, even when I'm done upgrading.

NiNja

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja_Boy
View Post

I got a 700W Power Supply because I wanted to be future proof, and I hope that I never have to upgrade it again. Intel and AMD are just making motherboards with more sockets and processors with more cores (lately). Also, ATi and nVidia have been producing power-hungry graphics cards. I hope that Intel brings 45nm chips soon that run cooler and more effeciently instead of running 4 Quad Cores on a Server Board.

I think this is the biggest waste. I was reading a news article about an Eco-Friendly Skyscraper and it said that one Bank of America branch uses 7kW of Power. If a whole building filled with lights, computers, and security devices only uses 7,000W why should our computers use 2,000W?

NiNja

Because n00bs buy into the hype of big numbers :/

#8 ·
I got my 700W because I can get a 9-Series Graphics Card and a Quad Core will room left (probably like 100W still). I don't want to use up 95% of my Power Supply, I want a bit of headroom so I don't have to worry about overclocking limitations and stability problems.

Slade: Didn't you get yours for the price of a 700W?

NiNja

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thealmightyone View Post
Don't forget, a PSU will only supply as needed. So, a PSU that can deliver UP TO 1600W, will only deliver, say, 500W if that's what the system needs. Yes, a waste of money, but no to it being a waste of electricity.
Exactly. IIRC, the specs say that it has a constant 85%+ efficiency. Those 500-800W supplies vary within the 70 to 80% range. But, like just about everyone else here has said, even the most loaded system wont use even half of its 100% capacity, so it's really a pointless buy. I mean, We could be speaking like, 8x Intel Cores + Board + 4x Crossfire HD2900XT(X) + 20-30 HDDs + Watercooling + TEC and/or phase for all of that... I'm not sure how much all of that would use but I know this PSU would cover it

The only scary part to this PSU is the special power socket. The pins and socket itself are noticeable larger than the average socket, and 2000W would mean you need a 25-30A breaker for the machine itself, provided it uses up past 1600+ W.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sladesurfer View Post
Quad core + 2900 CF + water with TEC and 10 Hard drives. Still wont use over 700w
Slade, I realize what you're trying to do here, but I think that that just may pull over that... What kind of TEC are you considering? certainly not a 300W model...

But yes, there is no sense in a 1600+ watt PSU.

Also people let's be reminded that a PSU will operate at peak efficiency when about half loaded, so if you're only quarter loading a PSU you are in fact wasting energy in addition to all the cash you blew.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheezy Baby View Post
I only need 350watts on my rig so I have no clue who would need that, honestly, I think they should not allow the sale or use of 1k+ watt power supplies. They are wasting power on nothing necessary. I hate how this industry is going, its wasteful.
Just because a PSU says it can supply 800W does not mean it will always supply 800W. A PSU will only supply as much power as is required by the components. No energy is being wasted so I am not quite sure what you are going on about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonindeBeatrice View Post
Also people let's be reminded that a PSU will operate at peak efficiency when about half loaded, so if you're only quarter loading a PSU you are in fact wasting energy in addition to all the cash you blew.
Not necessarily. Not all PSUs are at peak efficiency there, and many are relatively stable once you reach a certain load value.

#19 ·
If this PSU had two motherboard connectors then I could see using it as a single PSU to power two PCs, but otherwise I don't see the purpose. I can see 1200W being a good buy with an extremely powerful TEC (which would be undervolted, mind you) and power-hungry water-cooling system, but otherwise...

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
If this PSU had two motherboard connectors then I could see using it as a single PSU to power two PCs, but otherwise I don't see the purpose. I can see 1200W being a good buy with an extremely powerful TEC (which would be undervolted, mind you) and power-hungry water-cooling system, but otherwise...
Precisely, and what percentage of folks that snap up these things like they're made of win are running such gear? My guess, 1%, because most users of TECs will just use a dual PSUs.

Anyone on OCN running such equipment from a 1kW+ PSU? Now, how many of you have 1kW PSUs?

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonindeBeatrice View Post
Precisely, and what percentage of folks that snap up these things like they're made of win are running such gear? My guess, 1%, because most users of TECs will just use a dual PSUs.

Anyone on OCN running such equipment from a 1kW+ PSU? Now, how many of you have 1kW PSUs?
Yeah, except that I have this 1kW PSU because it has a lifetime warranty, is the size of smaller PSUs, is extremely high quality, and has a very nice modular interface, costs little more than many lower-output PSUs, plus it is quiet all things considered. It is probably also more efficient than your PSU. I also wanted to make sure that my PSU would be capable of doing multi-GPU setups in the future, with 300W cards.

Simply put, there is a difference between owning a 1000W PSU and a 1600W PSU. One is high end, while the other is overkilling overkill.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperMagus
View Post

Most of us should know that Ultra brand PSUs just plain out suck.

Most of us then know more than you.... go read reviews of their recent PSU. Here's just one: http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=103

Random bit of info.... a 1000w PSU is more efficient than a 1600w in almost all cases. PSU efficiency varies. Generally, peak efficiency is occurs when there is 40-80% max load. Most highend system use really only 500-600w.

• Rep+
Reactions: Choggs396
#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Most of us then know more than you.... go read reviews of their recent PSU. Here's just one: http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=103

Random bit of info.... a 1000w PSU is more efficient than a 1600w in almost all cases. PSU efficiency varies. Generally, peak efficiency is occurs when there is 40-80% max load. Most highend system use really only 500-600w.

Do what you want... as for me, i am never going to put a Ultra band PSU in my computer. Have you not read the reviews on the older 600-700w versions of this? They are utter crap. Besides, i don't even need a 1600w PSU.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperMagus
View Post

Do what you want... as for me, i am never going to put a Ultra band PSU in my computer. Have you not read the reviews on the older 600-700w versions of this? They are utter crap. Besides, i don't even need a 1600w PSU.

So according to your logic, just because a company makes a crappy game, means all their games are crappy?

Haha. Get real.

Just because Ultras first PSUs were bad doesn't mean their new ones are. Modular was a brand new technology, of course it was buggy at first. Almost everything is buggy at first. If you took some time and read about the X3s you would see they are scoring very high on the reviews.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.