Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Windows Vista - In Depth. Sucks or Nots?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows Vista - In Depth. Sucks or Nots? - Page 11

post #101 of 115
Windows is made for the masses. the average person treats their computers like they treat their cars: as a tool. it isn't a hobby for them; they just want to get from point A to point B, and don't want to spend their free time researching fixes and waiting for updated drivers. for $250 a pop, M$ could have done a lot more refining before they unleashed it on the world. XP was also premature. they do this because they can. you can bet they wouldn't be so sloppy if they had any real competition.
The C'roe
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6320 @ 2.8 Asus P5W DH Deluxe (2) Radeon X1900XTX CF 2GB G.Skill HK 4-4-3-5 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640 - 2x320 Samsung RAID-0 Dual DVDs XP MCE Acer 22" + Dell 19" LCDs - 2960x1024 rez :D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX Zalman 600W RT Modified Antec 900 Logitech MX 
Mouse Pad
Giant 
  hide details  
Reply
The C'roe
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6320 @ 2.8 Asus P5W DH Deluxe (2) Radeon X1900XTX CF 2GB G.Skill HK 4-4-3-5 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640 - 2x320 Samsung RAID-0 Dual DVDs XP MCE Acer 22" + Dell 19" LCDs - 2960x1024 rez :D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX Zalman 600W RT Modified Antec 900 Logitech MX 
Mouse Pad
Giant 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 115
Well I was skeptical. But except for the Abit SW that runs the entire frigging board Vista seems to run all sorts of XP SW. I did initially get totally P-Oed with the constant allow disallow crap so I turned it off. In fact I turned off verything that annoyed me..just like I did in XP.

Have not tried any games yet...and I am concerned that for some reason my Foding WUs are not posting to the Stanford Server...but that is likely unrelated to the Vista Install.

I eventually will be geting some games together.

However my F-Mark benchies are way low...which is a concern and real number to se and not a prejudice. I have no dual boot ATM...but will see about setting up a DB on another rig and checking th benchmarks scores.

How I could lose about 2000 points if F-Mark is a BIG question with me before I start raving how great Vista is...
Shop Dog
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Asus Blitz Formula SE HD3870X2 G Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Velociraptor 150GB LG DVD Burner Vista Ultimate 64 AOC 21.5" LED 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend Silverstone 750 Modular OverClock Edition Lian Li V1100 Logitech Trackball 
Mouse Pad
Nope 
  hide details  
Reply
Shop Dog
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Asus Blitz Formula SE HD3870X2 G Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Velociraptor 150GB LG DVD Burner Vista Ultimate 64 AOC 21.5" LED 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend Silverstone 750 Modular OverClock Edition Lian Li V1100 Logitech Trackball 
Mouse Pad
Nope 
  hide details  
Reply
post #103 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
Well I was skeptical. But except for the Abit SW that runs the entire frigging board Vista seems to run all sorts of XP SW. I did initially get totally P-Oed with the constant allow disallow crap so I turned it off. In fact I turned off verything that annoyed me..just like I did in XP.

Have not tried any games yet...and I am concerned that for some reason my Foding WUs are not posting to the Stanford Server...but that is likely unrelated to the Vista Install.

I eventually will be geting some games together.

However my F-Mark benchies are way low...which is a concern and real number to se and not a prejudice. I have no dual boot ATM...but will see about setting up a DB on another rig and checking th benchmarks scores.

How I could lose about 2000 points if F-Mark is a BIG question with me before I start raving how great Vista is...
Which drivers are you using? Some are better than others and can really affect the benchies.. Maybe you turned some stuff off that wasn't supposed to go?

Also if you have Vista Ultimate look at my recent threads and there is a way to turn UAC "off" but keep it on..
Workoholic
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8Z68-V PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 G.Skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 Series ASUS DVD+RW Windows 7 Ultimate 20.1" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair 620 Modular Lian Li V1020B G9x 
Mouse Pad
Custom Cloth Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Workoholic
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8Z68-V PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 G.Skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 Series ASUS DVD+RW Windows 7 Ultimate 20.1" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair 620 Modular Lian Li V1020B G9x 
Mouse Pad
Custom Cloth Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
[url]
you guys talking about how great Vista is are just trying to convince yourselves you didn't waste $200+ by buying it. you must know that Microsoft spawned... what, 3 of the world's 10 richest people? all that money and they can't do better than this? you're in denial. every time my friend calls me up telling me about his latest BSOD or how he still can't run certain programs reliably, i just say, "i told you so."
pebkac

It has been running flawlessly for me and many others. That is like my GF saying her computer is "broken" because she has accidentally disconnected the mouse cable with her foot.
post #105 of 115
Vista runs perfect for me also. I think all the haters are just made they can't swing the $200 for Vista.
ElRigTheRig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 2.4 GHz Asus Maximus Formula Asus EN8800GT 512MB 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.858TB (3x JBOD) HP 16x DVD Burner Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 24" FPD2485 Gateway LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Ultra X3 1000w Antec P182 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Razer Xact Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
ElRigTheRig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 2.4 GHz Asus Maximus Formula Asus EN8800GT 512MB 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.858TB (3x JBOD) HP 16x DVD Burner Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 24" FPD2485 Gateway LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Ultra X3 1000w Antec P182 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Razer Xact Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #106 of 115
I liked it.

All the way up until I found out from Linksys that my RT31P2 doesn't work for Vista... which irks me completely but whatever.
Zach's RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 146 at 2.9ghz LAPPED MSI Neo4-F Winfast Geforce 6200 PCI x16 at 600/656 Stock cool G.Skill 1GB DDR400 (512MBx2) at DDR467 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA Lite-On 20X DVD-RW/DVD-RAM and TSST Corp DVD-ROM Windows XP Pro/Vista Ultimate/Ubuntu 7.04 Gateway E700 15.4" Viewable 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Coolermaster 450W Coolermaster Centurion 5 Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
X Trac Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
Zach's RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 146 at 2.9ghz LAPPED MSI Neo4-F Winfast Geforce 6200 PCI x16 at 600/656 Stock cool G.Skill 1GB DDR400 (512MBx2) at DDR467 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA Lite-On 20X DVD-RW/DVD-RAM and TSST Corp DVD-ROM Windows XP Pro/Vista Ultimate/Ubuntu 7.04 Gateway E700 15.4" Viewable 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Coolermaster 450W Coolermaster Centurion 5 Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
X Trac Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #107 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Windows is made for the masses. the average person treats their computers like they treat their cars: as a tool. it isn't a hobby for them; they just want to get from point A to point B, and don't want to spend their free time researching fixes and waiting for updated drivers. for $250 a pop, M$ could have done a lot more refining before they unleashed it on the world. XP was also premature. they do this because they can. you can bet they wouldn't be so sloppy if they had any real competition.
How many programs don't support Vista? -- How many recent GOOD programs that support XP don't support Vista?

How many (at this same time during XP's release) programs support XP that worked in Win 2k or 98?

Also yeah I had constant BSOD's.. Then I ran memtest >_>.

I think Vista is fine and today a new set of updates and fixes were released !

Lastly my Wifi Adapter for XP didn't work in Vista but I had onboard wifi so it's fine. I use this adapter in other PC's / new ones.
Workoholic
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8Z68-V PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 G.Skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 Series ASUS DVD+RW Windows 7 Ultimate 20.1" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair 620 Modular Lian Li V1020B G9x 
Mouse Pad
Custom Cloth Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Workoholic
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8Z68-V PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 G.Skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 Series ASUS DVD+RW Windows 7 Ultimate 20.1" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair 620 Modular Lian Li V1020B G9x 
Mouse Pad
Custom Cloth Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #108 of 115
....and other issues as well. I just removed it and am going back to XP(updating xp now)

I had issues with file sharing on my network-- "access denied", when it worked right after I created the network.

Nvidia drivers are horrible for now... frame rates suck on my games....

UAC is a pain, but CAN be turned off.

it was fun to poke around in at first...but that's over and I need PERFORMANCE, seeing that it's my gaming rig and all.

It's too buggy for now, so on the shelf it goes until I hear otherwise.


(It's sooo nice to see Navi booting at a decent speed again. can't wait to put Oblivion back on....)
Navi 3.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Gigabyte Z77-D3H SAPPHIRE 100352-3L Radeon HD 7950 G Skill F3-12800CL9D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial m4 Cooler Mmaster Hyper 212 EVO yo mammy Samsung 2233BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Seasonic M12 II 620w LIAN LI Lancool PC-K63 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Navi 3.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Gigabyte Z77-D3H SAPPHIRE 100352-3L Radeon HD 7950 G Skill F3-12800CL9D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial m4 Cooler Mmaster Hyper 212 EVO yo mammy Samsung 2233BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Seasonic M12 II 620w LIAN LI Lancool PC-K63 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #109 of 115
Strange that you had horrible performance in Nvidia drivers. I've had better than XP.
Network filesharing has always been a buzzkill for my expertise, even in XP...so if it sucked then and barely worked then, and it sucks now and barely works now...what have you lost?
Although I suppose it's a good idea to wait until SP1 comes out.

I just want to say that at first, I was like a lot of the people here. After going to the Vista Launch ceremony, I got a 30-day copy which I set up on dual-boot. Every once in a while I would go into it and mess around. Jesus, it sucked and stuff was hard to get used to. After a while I realized there wasn't much I liked about it, there were no decent features, and so I went back to XP.

Later, I got a full copy of Vista Business, and decided to give it a 2nd try. This time I actually installed games and other programs. It was actually running much better than XP, so I started using it more often.

Now? I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my XP install. Because when the prompt comes up...

Boot into...

Windows Vista
Earlier Version of Windows

...you know what I'll be choosing.
Conclusion: Give Vista time. Takes getting used to. Afterwards, kicks total frigging ass.
Calvin
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670 @3.40Ghz ASUS Z87-A eVGA GTX 670 8 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD + 2TB internal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Two of them! Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
Calvin
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670 @3.40Ghz ASUS Z87-A eVGA GTX 670 8 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD + 2TB internal Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Two of them! Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #110 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
Strange that you had horrible performance in Nvidia drivers. I've had better than XP.
Network filesharing has always been a buzzkill for my expertise, even in XP...so if it sucked then and barely worked then, and it sucks now and barely works now...what have you lost?
Although I suppose it's a good idea to wait until SP1 comes out.

I just want to say that at first, I was like a lot of the people here. After going to the Vista Launch ceremony, I got a 30-day copy which I set up on dual-boot. Every once in a while I would go into it and mess around. Jesus, it sucked and stuff was hard to get used to. After a while I realized there wasn't much I liked about it, there were no decent features, and so I went back to XP.

Later, I got a full copy of Vista Business, and decided to give it a 2nd try. This time I actually installed games and other programs. It was actually running much better than XP, so I started using it more often.

Now? I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my XP install. Because when the prompt comes up...

Boot into...

Windows Vista
Earlier Version of Windows

...you know what I'll be choosing.
Conclusion: Give Vista time. Takes getting used to. Afterwards, kicks total frigging ass.

I have no problems with 2 XP machines keeping their network settings. Before I switched back, I couldn't connect to my vista box, getting an "Access is denied error". when I first set up the connection, everything was fine. I didn't change any settings, it was really weird. I used Vista for 2 months, got used to it. I liked it for normal day to day use, but not for my games. Security settings were a pain. not all of us are completely E-tarded M$!!!
Navi 3.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Gigabyte Z77-D3H SAPPHIRE 100352-3L Radeon HD 7950 G Skill F3-12800CL9D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial m4 Cooler Mmaster Hyper 212 EVO yo mammy Samsung 2233BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Seasonic M12 II 620w LIAN LI Lancool PC-K63 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Navi 3.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Gigabyte Z77-D3H SAPPHIRE 100352-3L Radeon HD 7950 G Skill F3-12800CL9D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial m4 Cooler Mmaster Hyper 212 EVO yo mammy Samsung 2233BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Ultimate Seasonic M12 II 620w LIAN LI Lancool PC-K63 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Windows Vista - In Depth. Sucks or Nots?