Overclock.net banner

Using 26in LCD HDTV for computer

906 views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  sepheroth003 
#1 ·
I'm currently looking at buying an lcd tv for both my computer and xbox 360. the link to the tv is below

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5623471

now my question is.....will this 26in lcd tv be good for playing computer games? will it look ok? and will the text be blurred? I'm assuming not since its LCD. just looking for your guys opinion.

#2 ·
I'd save up a bit more and get a 24" LCD monitor with component input for your X-Box. You be disappointed with the res you get on the 26".

#5 ·
#6 ·
well, my input. i have a 36" i use....
i run at 1360x768. not huge.... but it is enough room for me.....
text isnt blurry.... its not ultra crisp... but not difficult to read by any means.....
plus, with a monitor, you cant watch tv on it w.o a tv tuner in your comp..
i like my tv... but thats my opinion

#8 ·
It should work fine, the response time will not be as good as a computer lcd, and you will be limited to certian resolution's. As for the X-Box, I think the previous post is right, you will need a tv with component input to get the best picture, becaue I don't think you can get dvi or hdmi from an x-box 360. With out component input you will be limited to s-video quality on the x-box.

#9 ·
Ebay: Gateway FPD2485W -- Make sure you get the March version.

You can get it on Ebay brand new for about the same price as that 26" screen. Higher Resolution, HDCP decoding by the best in the business, and you can pair it with your Xbox 360.

You'll be disappointed with the resolution of that 26" LCD and more-than-likely the quality. You can always take it back, but the headache isn't worth it.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by odie
View Post

It should work fine, the response time will not be as good as a computer lcd, and you will be limited to certian resolution's. As for the X-Box, I think the previous post is right, you will need a tv with component input to get the best picture, becaue I don't think you can get dvi or hdmi from an x-box 360. With out component input you will be limited to s-video quality on the x-box.

i have the HD vga cable for the 360 so i'm all set there

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audi View Post
Ebay: Gateway FPD2485W -- Make sure you get the March version.

You can get it on Ebay brand new for about the same price as that 26" screen. Higher Resolution, HDCP decoding by the best in the business, and you can pair it with your Xbox 360.

You'll be disappointed with the resolution of that 26" LCD and more-than-likely the quality. You can always take it back, but the headache isn't worth it.
no such item found on ebay...

#12 ·
Ouch. They're all gone! That's to be expected, though.

Keep an eye out. I'm getting a second one next month, hope they're on Ebay when I do!

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by opty165 View Post
I'm currently looking at buying an lcd tv for both my computer and xbox 360. the link to the tv is below

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5623471

now my question is.....will this 26in lcd tv be good for playing computer games? will it look ok? and will the text be blurred? I'm assuming not since its LCD. just looking for your guys opinion.
That tv will be fine for use as a monitor you'll just have to use the VGA input to get a good clean picture. Also you'll want to run it as close to the native resolution as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dualhYbrid View Post
well, my input. i have a 36" i use....
i run at 1360x768. not huge.... but it is enough room for me.....
text isnt blurry.... its not ultra crisp... but not difficult to read by any means.....
plus, with a monitor, you cant watch tv on it w.o a tv tuner in your comp..
i like my tv... but thats my opinion
Have you tried running at 1368x768 instead? That's what I'm running on my 37" and it's much more crisp than 1360x768. Granted the image will be bigger than the monitor if the native res is 1366x720 but if you adjust your screen right you can't even notice it.

#19 ·
First off my camera isn't the best and these pictures don't look anywhere near as good as it does in person. I just wanted to give you a general idea how it would look being used as a monitor.
These first two are from when I first got it...

And here's a couple I just took...

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by odie
View Post

This is my HTPC set up, it runs on a Toshiba 50hm66 50" dlp hdtv at 720p. I have the same problems as stated b4 in 1080i, but this looks just fine. I can read text on web pages with ease.

Can you name the Laser Disc that is below the screen?

no offence or anything, but that picture on the lcd looks really blurry. idk if its me or just your camera or wat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.